Make Profile folder(s) a subfolder

Dogway

I tried this with both XP and 7, and they are all automatically reverted back to root drive.

Windows7 specially creates a bunch of profile folders, and I want them all inside a folder on root D:, so I have them all nicely placed in just one location along the XP "Documents and Settings (XP)" (on Dual Boot). I'm indicating the paths for both through the unattended answer files.

I might be stating the obvious but is this mandatory, is there a reason for this, or a workaround? Thank you!

Edited by Dogway

Bump, I'm highly interested on whether this is possible or not. It would be a bit lame in case it couldn't but we have seen worse things from microsoft.

I checked and Win7 creates 3 folders, Users, Documents and Settings (actually a placeholder), and ProgramData. With the XP profile folder it makes 4 folders of profiles on D: which is cumbersome.

Won't work any other way.

Users is "old" Documents And Settings (a "junction point", not a "placeholder", but the "new way" pointer).

(That's Two of the Three.)

ProgramData -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/can-not-find-the-program-data-folder/bb22413e-7977-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

(That's Three of Three)

XP - Different (old) beast entirely.

Now, if you start looking around in the "Users" folder you get to be more confused (more junctions).

I can open ALL of the "Users" sub-folders EXCEPT the "Default User" one. If I open "All Users" you'll notice some "looks like links" but they are not. These are also Junctions into the "ProgramData" Folder (see above link) - look at the structure of the two.

How you "did it" is all you'll be able to get. They will not "mix" and some of those "folders" are nothing more than Junctions and (almost) occupy no space.

HTH (cumbersome, yes - required to "work that way", also yes)

@submix8c I don't think that Dogway is necessarily complaining about the new way that it works with multiple folders and some if not most of them being junction points. I think the only thing he wants to change is this:

I think he is getting:

D:\

...Documents and Settings

...ProgramData

...Users

And I think he wants:

D:\

...Win7Settings\

......Documents and Settings

......ProgramData

......Users

If I understand correctly. And I think he should be able to do that, shouldn't he?

Cheers and Regards

yes, that's it bphlpt. Complaining is absurd, but I thought of this workaround to make my storage drive D: a bit more tidy, except I can't make it work. I can test over the VM to change location once installed just to check if Win7 prevents it, but my intention is to do this originally in install to avoid bugs or whatever could arise.

yes, something "like" that, but from unattended. I can't find the link but I recall you or another user recommending me to change profile location as early as possible on a OS install.

Also, since it is an unattended, it makes sense to change the path before RunOnce runs.

I'm not sure that answers what I am asking...
I'm already able to change partition for profile folders. What I'm unable to do is change path level.

bphlpt explained very well above.

If you wonder, my unattended.xml is already configured,

<FolderLocations>                        <ProfilesDirectory>D:\Profiles\Usuarios</ProfilesDirectory>                        <ProgramData>D:\Profiles\ProgramData</ProgramData>            </FolderLocations>

unless you are 100% your method using audit mode works I can't fully bet on that since things involving USB etc can't be tested on a VM.

FYI, it didn't work for XP either in its unattended answer file, so something is up there and not on my side.

Edited by Dogway

Well, it is NOT "my" method, I personally believe that "fully unattended" is "pure folly" (or "lost time") unless there is a "serious" reason, (like tens or hundreds of machines to be setup), and I have NO idea if it can work (or if it will work or if it may work with or without some slight or serious modifications).

You posted about not being able to find a link, and I tried to help you in finding it, without any comment/opinion (direct or indirect) on the actual validity of the question (let alone of the answer).

jaclaz

"oh" semantics! your (*proposed*) method, duh!

The link I was talking about was a comment from you or another user here on msfn saying that changing profile folder after OS install is not recommended.

If you give me a link be it on placing profile folders on a sublevel path or instead something a bit more straight than the unattended method which your links are based on, because as I stated the install is ignoring them.

Look, this is not semantics.

You asked for something about changing profiles folders location (WITHOUT mentioning "unattended") and I provided what I had available.

Then you asked about the same thing BUT this time asking for it being "earlier" or "unattended", and again I provided what I had available.

Will any of them ("after install", "in audit mode" or "unattended") work for "folders in folder"? :unsure:

Cannot say :no:, you will need to try ALL THREE methods to know.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Then please re-read my OP.

I might be stating the obvious but is this mandatory, is there a reason for this, or a workaround? Thank you!

unattended - tested and not working
audit mode - the long way of unattended, so unlikely to work too
after install - prone to issues

Then please re-read my OP.

I have read it, rest assured, and as said, provided what I had available related to "changing default folders locations" , which I have no idea if suitable to reach the goal which you have set for yourself.

Now you can try them, or try just one of them and assume that the other ones won't work, or (say) experiment with subst, mountpoints or (recursive) junction points :w00t::ph34r:, it's your goal, I just tried to assist you providing some related "prior art" :).

The mentioned kb:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949977/en-us

or the related one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929831/en-us

don't mention a limitation of this kind, but it wouldn't be the first (nor the last) time that MS originated info is unclear, incomplete, misleading or plainly wrong.

YMMGV :yes:

jaclaz