WinXP SP3 - hardcore memory requirments lowering pls suggest

caps_buster

Guys, because of some VERY unfortunate evets, I have to play demanding game (WOT) on friend computer, that have only 1G of ram in two sticks and I did not have any ram that can go at 233MHz with 2.5-3-3-6, so... WOT won't run on W2k SP4, it does fail even on XP SP1.0a and therefore I ending up using XP SP3 :(

However I would kindly like to ask for tips, how to lower the memory requirments by even trivial amount - anything goes. For example WOT stoped (mostly) crashing, when desktop resolution is lowered to 16bits (no 8bit choice, bad)...

So a batch file that can exit Explorer and start WOT and then start Explrer could be handy too!

I started going usual way, by the services and using Autoruns I disabling things, but I need the internet to work, so, that is the only one limitation. Not using DHCP, just direct IP, so a DNS service is enough, etc. Managed to knock the memory requirments down to 59MB (desktop 1280x1024x16bit no background, W2k look) but still need more. Every kBy counts, please!

For example I disabled the WFP, but I would like to disable the protection that checking when starting executables...

...and sure there are others to disable. I will post the list of services and the Autoruns screenshot, if anyone cold help to disable everything that is possible.

On Win2k I even edited some dll files, that containing the animated bitmaps for windows and replacing that bitmaps with small one frame ones also could help...

Yes, it is as desperate, as this. Every kBy is wanted, please!

Nothing is too hardcore there, editing system32.dll - I'm not affraid! Just to shave some kBy of ram usage down, please!

You could even go down to 1024x768 resolution, if every bit counts. What resolution would you be running the game at?

But maybe I'm confused because I think WOT = Wheel of Time, which is not a really demanding game and would run on that PC.

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=19290&tab=sysreqs

So it sounds like it is not Wheel of Time but something else?

Config? Dunno how that should be helping, but this is easy: Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe, Opteron 148 250x11 (2750MHz), 2x 512MB rams 2.5-3-3-6, PNY 6800 GS 470/550MHz, WD 160G HDD, WinXP SP3. That it is. I would like to hear your suggestions, but everything is on low already.

Lowering resolution did not bring even 1MB more. Still 59MB (at start 60, then59, 58 sometimes... 1024x768x16bit)... complete end of Explorer shoudl be much better solution.

Modified bitmaps in browseui.dll file - shaved only little over 100k in the dll size, yet most of the messages about "not enought memory" in WOT disappear already! And there are plenty of them everywhere:

not_enought_memory1.jpg not_enought_memory2.jpg

So, please, who knows how to end up Explorer to free more resources? Help?

WOT graphic settings are quite low already (except draw distance, that is important):

graphic_WOT_settings.jpg

So, please, who knows how to end up Explorer to free more resources? Help?

To end up Explorer (which may or may not free more resources), you need to change the SHELL (otherwise it will restart) and kill it (from Task manager or similar).

To change to (say) CMD.EXE as shell:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/change-shell-explorer-exe-custum-shell-users-and-not-administrator-t3129882.html

or use a shell switcher, example:

http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=196.10

jaclaz

You can try to lower your resolution in order to decrease the amount of memory required to run the game.

Also you can search for mods that remove most of in game objects such as vegetation, tanks high resolution textures. I give an example: http://modswot.com/

Just for testing I installed the game in one of my older computers and found that not only the game is memory intensive but also GPU intensive: a GeForce 7600gt, a card better than yours has around 50 fps with the settings I saw in your screenshot even if the CPU is a core duo and the PC has 4 gb of ram!!