Why won't Windows 7 install Microsoft Update?

bizzybody

Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, no 3rd party software yet, not even antivirus, so can't blame this problem on anything but Windows.

I want Windows Update to get updates for more than just Windows. I click the Find out More link and it launches IE 11, which opens a page telling me to use Windows Update - back where I just was. That's a big FAIL right there. That link should go somewhere that's actually useful, like a site that downloads and installs Microsoft Update for Windows 7.

I need it to download some Bluetooth drivers, which it's refusing to do because Windows Update is set to get updates for Windows only, even after installing mobile device center, which it wouldn't do automatically when I paired my Motorola Photon Q with my laptop. (Another FAIL of it not doing what Microsoft's support people repeate endlessly it's supposed to do on their forums whenever anyone posts that it doesn't work.)

How do I force this thing to install Microsoft Update or change the settings so it'll update MS Office etc and download the bluetooth drivers?

Fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, no 3rd party software yet, not even antivirus, so can't blame this problem on anything but Windows.

But you are doing something wrong because I have never had it fail or give me any problems whatsoever any of the numerous times I have done it. I don't think it should make a difference, but do you have SP1 installed? Is this a completely "stock" Windows 7 Ultimate, or have you done any updates? You say you have installed "mobile device center", so what else have you installed? When I have done a "manual" install in the past, I have gotten it completely up to date with WU (except anything I don't ever plan on using such as extra language updates, Bing, IE11, etc which I hide) before I switch to MU. Could it be some kind of setting or tweak that you did to IE? Which version of IE are you running? I have not used IE11 and don't plan to until I've heard better reports about it, I've heard of too many problems, so if you have IE11 that would be one of the first things I would blame and I would suggest going back to IE10.

Cheers and Regards

Yes, it's SP1. I had WU install the huge number of post SP1 updates and after that it would finally go to the correct site to install Microsoft Update. Windows 7 needs an SP2 and Vista needs an SP3, but it looks like they'll never get them.