XP SP2 slimming batchfiles

jdeboeck, I love your scripts. Until now I've been holding out on migrating from NT4 because of all the junk in 2K/XP. Can't wait for your SP2 version to come out.

When I ran your SP1 version, I did notice a few things:

- Sometimes there are spaces in the "echo" portion of your scripts, right before the ">>". These cause the findstr command to not find matches in the inf files.

- Sometimes the cases of file names got changed. For the longest time, I wasn't able to figure out why my boot CD (from gosh's instructions) didn't work -- turned out the file names of some important files like NTLDR was not in all caps.

- I got greedy a few times and ran all of your scripts, and regretted well after I piled applications on top of the barebones XP. I couldn't figure out if there was a way to add back components (or even group of components), so I had to start from scratch all over again. Wasted a good many days :D Would be really great if things were optional instead of being deleted completely -- unless you have some tips?

Perhaps you would take these into consideration as you work on your SP2 scripts. Again, really, really great job you're doing :):rolleyes::D

the only way i can think of having those components back is to save the folders created by the batch files and

have semicolon (; )'s before the removed file names in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. (only if (; ) works in dosnet and txtsetup. otherwise for each of the removed component u'd need a different dosnet and txtsetup and in some cases a new inf file for that modified inf.

better yet do this. if space is not important. only modify the inf's so that the components don't get installed but the files get copied. (so modify the inf's so that it doesn't install anything, but since txtsetup and dosnet will have those files, they'll be copied to the hdd). then if u need to install those components, grab the backup inf (unmodified version of the inf) and run it.

I don't know if this makes sense to u. but it surely works I know.

i agree about the " >>" , don't know about lowercase.

@davidyang:

The filenames will not be hard-coded anymore, so the >> issue will be fixed. this was just a typo, it doesn't matter if files with ,3,3 flags in txtsetup.sif are removed or not.

I didn't know the filesystem was case sensitive, I'm pretty sure I have a working CD with all lowercase filenames. Furthermore, Ntldr is not touched by the batchfiles...

Installing afterwards works for a lot of components, but not all. Some have their files copied by the component inf, but have the dll's registered by syssetup.inf... Doing it 'at a later time' will only copy the files, not register the dll's... so there's no easy way to do it. Just remove what you don't need, and if in doubt don't remove it.

make an sp2/rc1 version of the batch files as sp2 may be out for upto 3 months

only if you promise not to use them on a longhorn alpha :)

i last heard an estimate of 5 weeks for SP2. and that wasn't long ago.

i guess we shall see if it truly is 3 months out. Though EVERYONE is saying something different. I saw something that it was due out end of June. I thought it was May. Then that 5 week thing.....

i heard on 2 site end of april which is under 1 month, but ms said mid-2004, which is hardly the end of the 4th month!

were you joking about the longhorn thing or are you actually gunna made a sp2/rc1 verion.

if you made a sp2/rc1 version you would only have to alter it slightly when sp2 final is out, it means that people would get it faster when sp2 final comes out becuase it will be pretty much already done :)

thanks for your time !

if you made a sp2/rc1 version you wouldnt only have to alter it slightly when sp2 final is out, it means that people would get it faster when sp2 final comes out becuase it will be pretty much already done :)

you see, jdeboeck, people need it. people need your scripts.

23rd JUNE - RTM DATE according to www.<<spam>>.net as of today, that just under 3 months, they think we will be getting RC2 for the first time ever !!!

maybe you could think about making an rc1 version of your batchfiles.

maybe it's just me...but...

as far as I'm aware it's April 1st, so um... I think i'll wait before passing judgement.

but then again, if there is going to be a RC2, then why create files to remove stuff from RC1 when you're going to have to redo it for RC2?

just WAIT

i have to start sometime... there will be changes from RC1 to final, but all I need is an accurate filelist. Many filelists haven't changed from sp1, so RC1 is a good time for me to start working. After all RC1 is for testing, not a final product...

• 3 weeks later...