XP SP2 slimming batchfiles

make backup. run it in root of XPCD local copy.

make iso, try it under VMWare or kinda, and find out by yourself.

i'm doing kinda 6 such experiments a day...

if something goes wrong (what?) try reverting to backup and manually deleting files.

still, interested to get rid of ms internet connection firewall for good :)

looks like about 2200 files will be removable in batchfiles for SP2, not counting drivers, up from about 1800 files for SP1, not counting drivers... really hope SP2 will come out smaller... stay tuned

jdeboeck, i p.m'd you, please cam you tell me where i put the msneplorer remover .bat file, does it delete all the files and refences in the .inf files and others automatically or do i have to do this manually ?

place the batch file in the root folder.

the folder one level up from I386. Then double click it.

Automatically, but i think the files are moved to an optional folder or required folder on level up from I386

when i run the bat file in my XPCD directory the command box says the specified file cannot be found for many items, it creates a folder called optional, which contains a folder called msnmsn, which contains 2 files, many of which have extenstions .IN_

any help me out with this ?

@hajj: Read the site for complete instructions. Put batchfile in CD root, next to i386. Make sure source is not readonly. Run batchfile. If there are errors, you did one of these things wrong. Remember there is no need to mess with anything yourself, not even in winnt.sif. All you have to do is run the batchfile.

im pretty sure i did do that, i ran it in the directory that contains the folders:

$oem$, cmpnents, i386, support, valueadd, support

and contains the file autorun.inf, setup.exe, win51ip1.sp2 and all the other files.

i unchecked the read only box folder the i386 folder and others within, but when i right click it again it says its still read only. is their a dos command i can type to set it and all the sub folders from read only to readable ?

is this the right directory or should i put this INSIDE the i386 folder and run it ?

please let me know soon

i just read on your site that you have to unpack sp2.cab and drivers.cab to folders, which i didnt do first time, i then deleted these cab files, then i ran the batch file again, same errors, file not found, the same folders optional and a subfolder msimn are created, but this time there arent 29 files inside it, its empty.

please can you help!

Does it say on my site to delete the .cab files yourself?

Anyway you messed up. You're getting errors because you already ran the batchfiles. Restart from a clean cd.

run it in root of XPCD local copy
batch file in the root folder

the folder one level up from I386

Put batchfile in CD root, next to i386

and that's just from the last ten replies, it should be clear where the batchfile must be placed

I copied a fresh copy of sp2 integrated to c:\xpcd\

i then put the .bat file in the xpcd folder, which also contains the i386 folder, i extracted the sp2.cab to c:\xpcd\i386\sp2\ and did the same for drivers.cab.

i unchecked the folders from read-only for all the folders.

i kept the cab files

i get the optional folder made with the msnimn folder with 29 files in again, with same error messages, please cany you tell me which folder i should put it in on my c:\.

thanks !

does it fully remove it from sp2 rc1 ? are the files the same, but just different versions ? have u tried it on sp2 rc1 yourself, is there anychance you could alter the batch file to work for sp2 rc1 ?

thanks for your help !

i tried the remove tour.bat file you made, i get the folders always, with tour inside with 120 file.

i also tried the remove windows messenger .bat file you made, i get 7 files in optional\msimn folder.

would these have removed it properly even though its sp2/rc1 ?

ok dude they are for SP1 not SP2

do u even read this topic? I mean he is talking about making another remove batch files for sp2. be patient, let him do his thing.

u'll get errors if u run a sp1 remove file with sp2.

get a sp1 i386 folder and sp2 i386 folder look at them sp2 has billions of more files!.

what u can do about that tour and messenger.

open those inf's that contain the tour and messenger look for the copy parameter. modify the inf and delete those files from the i386 folder, txtsetup.sif file and dosnet.inf!!!

if this is too much trouble for u pls wait for his release.!!!!!!!