Flash 9 not working on NT 4.0? (consolidated thread)

ironman14

Hello,

I know it was not officially supported but is there any way to make it work. This forum:http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-nt/how-to-watch-youtube-and-view-flash-sites-in-/23266.html (scroll down a bit) said that Firefox 3.x would run on 95 and NT 4.0, but it turned out not to work (even after modifying the registry to say 5.0 instead of 4.0). Even Firefox 3.0.7 wouldn't work. They all install OK, but I get an error in a procedure entry point in the file GDI32.DLL. What I'm saying is, is there ANY possible way to run Firefox 3 on Windows NT 4.0?

Edited by ironman14

FF3 is never mentioned. It says FF2.0.0.20. And the registry mod was for Flash8, not FF.

What is the text of the GDI32 error message?

Try running Dependency Walker or ImportPatcher on firefox.exe to see what API's NT4 might be missing.

If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page, some user said that FF3 would run only if Active Desktop was enabled. As for the registry tweak, I thought if the Vm thought it was Windows 2000, it may work.

The text of the GDI32 error message is "The procedure entry point GdiGradientFill could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.DLL.

I originally thought Firefox 3 refused to run on NT 4.0 only because Nt 4.0 was old. I think I will actually stick to Opera 10.63 for web browsing for now.

Scrolling all the way down to the bottom, I still see no replies by other users--just the one by sdfox7 himself. If you mean one of the "Related Solutions", please give that title and link. (Searching both the page and the page source for "Active Desktop" gets no hits.)

See two updates at:

Update: YouTube Functionality on NT 4.0

Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6 is recommend; Post-Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a Security Rollup Package is known to cause problems.

"GdiGradientFill could not be located in GDI32.dll" error on startup

Re: GradientFill vs GdiGradientFill (GDI32)

NT4 does not have GdiGradientFill. If you install (anything that installs) a W2K+ version of msimg32.dll, it will look for GdiGradientFill and fail. Uxtheme.dll is another likely culprit.

Edited by jumper

I'm going to forget all about FF3 for now. However, when I use the Flash 9.0.47 plugin (latest for NT 4.0), Youtube and other flash sites cause the Opera 10.63 browser to crash. Do you know anything about that?

Thanks for your help, though.

Didn't some of the early 3.0 alphas build without Cairo? If I remember correctly, Mozilla did some testing with non-Cairo builds so that Cairo could be brought up to par. Some of those might work.

Edited by Steven W

I tried what you told me, but there was a missing dll file. The text was complicated.

I actually now prefer to use Opera 10.63, only thing is Flash 9 crashes Opera whenever I load any Flash site, like Youtube. Any solutions/ideas?

UPDATE: It's not just Opera that crashes with Flash. K-Meleon and IE 6 also crash using adobe flash sites.

Edited by ironman14

I am using this in Microsoft Virtual PC, which emulates an Intel Pentium II processor, and an Intel 440BX chipset. For updates, I have installed Service Pack 6a,IE6 SP1 + updates and the IE6 update Rollup. I have not yet tried the Flash spoofer, but I plan on doing it soon.

UPDATE: I installed Flash 7.0.73, and Firefox 2.0.0.22pre (firefox 2.0.0.20 with some bug fixes). I applied the modifier to Flash 8, and although it doesn't crash anymore, it refuses to play, and when I right-click on the video, it says (About Macromedia Flash Player 7.) Perhaps youtube isn't fooled by the file anymore.

UPDATE 2: I copied the modified Npswf32.dll modified file to the Firefox plugins folder, so youtube does think I'm using Flash 8.0.42. Videos play but I can't seem to fix the problematic formatting, even though there is an included file for that. I will report again if I fix this problem.

I also used the modified Flash file for Opera 10.63, and now Youtube runs flawlessly in Opera 10.63. I am going to uninstall/remove Firefox since I have no use for it anymore.

This thread is closed.

Edited by ironman14

Hello,

I have problems with Flash Player 9.0.47 in Windows NT 4.0 SP6. It is the last supported Flash version in NT 4.0. But when I install it and go to a flash site, my browser, Opera 10.63, just crashes.The latest working version is 8.0.42, but that can't do a whole lot. To prove that Flash 9 should work, I have a couple links here:

SdFox7's download page: http://sdfox7.com/nt40/flash.htm

Forum reference: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26982&start=25

I have looked a bit further, using Flash 9.0.16. Apparently animated objects work, and the Adobe flash site says I am using version 9.0.16.0, but when I load ANY site that is currently playing a Flash video, it crashes, no matter which browser. It may be do to JavaScript, because the crashing happens with JavaScript enabled. But when I do disable JavaScript, sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Blip display a black screen where the Flash content is? Any ideas for fixing this?

Hello,

As I said in this link:http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170674-adobe-flash-9-doesnt-work-in-windows-nt-40/,

I could not get Flash 9 to work on Windows NT 4.0. It installed, but crashed when I tried to play a Flash video. Turns out the same version, Flash 9.0.47.0, does the same thing on Windows 98. Newer releases of Flash 9, along with Flash 8 & 7, work on 98, but newer versions of Flash 9 don't work on NT 4.0. They don't play any flash content, and before even fully loading the page, they complain of a missing file in User32.DLL. So, how can I get Flash 9.0.47 to work?

Complains about WHICH file "missing"?

I have this Shockwave Player installed in 98SE and it appears to work in IE6.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_shockwave/3732/

It very well could be the website. Apparently, some YouTube videos don't work with the older version (v47) but do with the newer one (v115).

I do NOT have an NT4 install to test with. I also only use IE and FF, not Opera. Sorry. :(

Side note - My understanding is that Opera and FF both use the same Flash Players? FF Player is not the same as the IE Player (but you knew that, right?).