WHy cant i make a winpe custom cd?

pauledavey

OK I have created a folder called pebuild on my harddisk

in this folder I have copied the contents of the winpe folder from the winpe1.2 select cd. I have also added factory.exe and netcfg.exe to this folder from the I386 folder on the winpe1.2 select cd

I have created a folder called winxp and copied the entire winxp sp1 cd into this folder keeping the original structure.

I have run the command as below:

c:\pebuild\mkimg.cmd c:\winxp c:\pebuild

I do not want an ISO at this stage.

I get the following error:

Unable to build Hive from inf files

I am a local admin and running this on a win2k O/S PC

Help please? Why do i get this error??

OK, I wasnt local admin (whoops) all works ok now and has compiled ok.

However, because I wanted to add bits to it I made the ISO afterwars with OSCDIMG

I run the following:

oscdimg -lwinpe -h -n -o c:\winsrc\custpe c:|winpe.iso

However the image does not boot!!!

How come?

That's strange, I had the same error and logging as local administrator solved the problem.

Did you try to build Windows PE directly from the Win XP CD? I tried to do what you do (XP on the hard drive) but I had lots of problems.

I have never had an issue with the HD source, you just have to remember to point the installer at the XPDIR\I386 folder.

• 1 month later...

While I am not certain what pauldavey's answer was, I use the following command line to create an image and have never had it fail.

D:\PE\ImageCreationFiles\oscdimg -betfsboot.com -n d:\PE\Custom d:\PE\PE.iso

It is possible that he did not have etfsboot.com in the command line and this is why it didn't work.

Mike

hi,

for running oscdimg command, u need winpe environment & then u cretae image. so how do u ppl get that custom environment? currently i am using mkimg command first & then use the folder created by mkimg command as an input to oscdimg. is there any other way to do that? & also if i want to add my own exe, i add it to i386\system32 folder of custom winpe(created by using mkimg command) & then make image & burn it, it wrks fine but is there any other way to add ur own exe to winpe?

Yes you just make the folder and not the ISO, then you can add all of your files to the folder in the locations you specify and then use OScdimg with the -b of efsboot.com, or what ever.