Convert Unix line ending file to Notepad Compatible

I'm sick and tired of dealing with Unix line endings on readmes and the likes so I did a quick lookup and found the following on Wikipedia though it's been modified by me.

TYPE "%1" | FIND "" /V > "%1".cleaned.txt && del "%1"

It's currently in a batch file shortcut on my sendto menu but I'll put it as an extended context menu item in the end.

Anyways, I don't have time for this. :angel

Please some of you guys are gurus when it comes to this. Just spit out a quick and dirty correct way of doing the command. It happens with .JS, .TXT, .MD (Google Chrome readmes and crap), files just name LICENSE, AUTHORS, NEWS, CONRIBUTERS, etc.

I'd like it to process a UNIX line break file, convert it to DOS terminators CR/LF, delete the original file and then rename the ???temp file??? back to the original filename.

Yeah, I could research some more but I'm just super busy and thought I'd throw this out. I got a lot going on in "RL" ATM so sorry in advance for such a request.

Edited by -X-

UNIX new line using this :

\n

while CR/LF using this :

\r\n

why do u need to convert since UNIX line break has already supported in Windows? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

with php, I use "str_replace" dont know with cmd prompt for similar function...

why do u need to convert since UNIX line break has already supported in Windows? (please correct me if i'm wrong)

You are half-wrong. ;)

Notepad does NOT support them, Wordpad does.

@-X-

The "TYPE" trick may have issues, depending on source, it would be much more logical to use a program to replace the CR with CR+LF writing to the same file.

You can use a "dedicated" tool like CRLF by Horst Schaeffer:

http://www.horstmuc.de/horst.htm

or a generic tool, like SED or gsar.

As hinted before it would make even more sense to use an editor that understands the *nix line termination and displays them properly.

jaclaz

I seem to recall, (many moons ago), something like this working:

@more filename.ext>newfilename.ext@del filename.ext@ren newfilename.ext filename.ext

Therefore you may be able to use:

more "%~1">"%~dpn1.cleaned%~x1" && del "%~1"

• 2 weeks later...