WIn8.1SE

ChrisR

I understand but here the files and folders on X: are with the administrators owner and with full control so I do not have this side effect.

I have no idea at this time for your case with TrustedInstaller !

I looked again in Win8.1SE, on X drive, the rights are inherited from X: with the Administrators owner and the full Control for all files and folders. It is therefore not a concern here.

I do not understand why you have the TrustedInstaller owner and not the administrators like me ! Let me know if you find the reason.

:)

When booting from USB 3.0 then the CD drive Y: of Win8.1SE remains invisible so that e.g. Opera does not work.

Also the USB harddisk with 3 primary partitions is invisible.

The USB 3.0 driver for Intel i5 Quadcore machine is properly installed.

When booting from USB 2.0 then all these drives are visible.

Edited by wimb

Hi Chris;

I think i solved the problem. Maybe not to trust setacl much. After I used setacl i have not checked permissions are ok. I mounted the wim to a folder under system account. From explorer permissions page i took the ownerships with inheriting child objects. Checked files to be sure. After removed inheriting child objects (It is just my decision maybe not need). After boot it looks like my all users have permissions of everything. Hope permissions stays. I was helpfull to know that it works for you.

By the way i think i know the answer of this topic but i could not understand what is the exact problem. Can you summarise

http://theoven.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=2c760e845415c6ed46b9f88119754c10&topic=847.msg11060;topicseen#msg11060

@wimb

I do not really have a solution for these USB problems not mounted. You're not the first one and you know better than me.

There is MountPEMedia.log in X:\windows\Temp but I'm not sure it is useful. Do you have the Win8.1SE Warning Icon on desktop?

I have 2 partitions on my USB 3 Harddisk, WD My Passport. The first in Fat32 with Win8.1SE inside and a second in NTFS. Both partitions are visible here.

If your active partition is in NTFS, maybe try with Fat32.

You can also choose "Run ALL programs from RAM" In "CdDrive -X: -Y:" plugin. boot.wim will be bigger and it requires more RAM.

@Kullenen

If you know the answer, it is a request from Mikka to get Tiny Windows Borders. It is only cosmetic.

This small apps "TinyWindowsBorders" does it, but requires NET Framework.

Edited by ChrisR

If your active partition is in NTFS, maybe try with Fat32.
You can also choose "Run ALL programs from RAM" In "CdDrive -X: -Y:" plugin. boot.wim will be bigger and it requires more RAM.

My Win8.1SE_x86.ISO is located on FAT32 Boot partition of USB-harddisk

When booting from USB 3.0 then the Warning Icon is on desktop and the log just gives info that the CD drive Y: is not found.

Then I rebuild with "Run ALL programs from RAM" and then I can use programs like Opera :)

So that is really an improvement that I will use and prefer.

It is a pity that the 3 drives of USB-harddisk are not visible when booting from USB 3.0 is used.

Strange that two System device drivers cannot be installed. What can be the reason ?

Remote Desktop Device Redirector Bus and Composite Bus Enumerator are missing and cannot be added.

These are the only missing drivers.

Thanks for this very good 8.1 PE :)

It is a pity that the 3 drives of USB-harddisk are not visible when booting from USB 3.0 is used.

I fully agree this is really boring and I do not have a solution.

With current PC and a lot of Ram available, "Run All Program from Ram" could be set as default.
It requires more memory and a longer startup, if many apps are used.
It is very convenient to have the applications outside of boot.wim to add Portable apps, Update virus defs, DotNet Assembly...
but if it does not work as desired with these drives not mounted in some cases ..... ;)
I'll look at the missing drivers If something can be done.
Otherwise, the DotNet plugin seems ready, I'll share it at TheOven to get some feedback.
I could then look at the printers, slowly, slowly, It's holiday for children here and family skiing next week.
Cheers :)

I fully agree this is really boring and I do not have a solution.

post-132150-0-70973200-1392627391_thumb.

For the 3 services USBHUB3 USBXHCI and UCX01000 related to booting from USB 3.0

I have changed the Load Order Group to Boot Bus Extender and Start was changed from 3 to 0

In practice what I did:

Add usbhub3.inf_x86* and usbxhci.inf_x86* folder from DriverStore of installed Win 8.1 32-bits

to \Win8.1SE_2014-01-30\Workbench\Common\Drivers_x86

and modify the above described settings and then rebuild with Driver Integration selected.

When the USB 3.0 drivers are loaded early and start at boot time then the USB-harddisk drives are visible.

Unfortunately the USB-harddisk drives are not always visible and there might be some timing issue going on ....

Edited by wimb

Great Wimb :thumbup

I am fairly new about these changes.

It seems to be a good things, indeed, to load them earlier in the boot sequence of the computer to make them necessary for booting and to try to keep them connected then.

Searching on this, I saw the same changes to the other USB services:

usbccgp, usbehci, usbhub, usbohci, usbstor, usbuchi

It seems maybe good to change those services also, What do you think ?

When your USB3 harddisk is not visible, does disable and enable USB\ROOT_HUB* in device manager (or with devcon) makes it visible ?

When your USB3 harddisk is not visible, does disable and enable USB\ROOT_HUB* in device manager (or with devcon) makes it visible ?

YES that works !!

As administrator in command window run

devcon disable USB\ROOT_HUB30devcon enable USB\ROOT_HUB30

May be such commands can be added to enable visibility of USB-drives when booting from USB 3.0

This method also works for the original version e.g. without changing Load Order Group and Start !!

The USB 2.0 services have no issue here, so may be no need to change them.

Edited by wimb

Super :)

I'm a little busy this afternoon, I'll add the Group="Boot Bus Extender" and Start=0 for Usb3 services only, in "Shell & Config" plugin, tonight.
And I'll make a small script to enable USB3 drives, with the choices, Load at Startup (autorun.cmd), Create a StartMenu shortcut.
I'm just a little annoyed with devcon's distribution, maybe let the user add it (them x86/x64) with a button "Put devcon.exe here".
Edited by ChrisR

I'm just a little annoyed with devcon's distribution, maybe let the user add it (them x86/x64) with a button "Put devcon.exe here".

Hmm, wasn't the devcon sourcecode not available somewhere?

So compiling it with another name should be enough to have a redistributable one.

Also, I could properly add devcon download to GWT :yes:

Done!

Run GetWaikTools -devcon

Edited by JFX