WIn8.1SE

ChrisR

Hi jaclaz,

there is no such issues ....

as Atari800XL indicated, presets mostly available through modularity.

you can create your own bare, smallest etc. PE easly with nt6x standart PE creation way by deleting files from standart boot.wim , which is out of our concerns, delete button is there waiting for you. I am sure you can create such bare, smallest etc. pe with a nice tutorial and a nice batch, rd /s /q ....

mountpoint idea already there, with mounting .iso via imdisk available with mountPEmedia for both all SE and Gena

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=346

past experience with Gena WimPack shows mounting .wim not gone popular,

still

Apps\System Tools\"Portable Finder CMD"

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=370

plugin available at all projects for someone who like to mount .wim, .vhd etc. for such portable organisation,

side by side with "Include files in ISO RootCD" option on ALL Finals plugins.

as I had written, there is not such issues. :ph34r:

We already have experiences from past and still dealing with real issues that takes our interest and available time,

thanks to people who not only fill posts but also contribute to projects :thumbup

I'm very glad there are "no such issues". :)

While I'm sure that it is very possible to "create your own ...", and that you appreciate people who "contribute to projects", I'm also sure that you would get more people involved in the related projects and they would then be more able and likely to contribute if there were more predefined presets available such as the ones that jaclaz has suggested. They could be used by new users "as is" or as starting points for their own builds.

But you might not want new users involved. You might want to only have users involved who already know how everything works and what they want and how to make it. If so, then it seems that your user group will remain relatively small and you will have to come up with new ideas and uses on your own. But that's just the way I see it as a noob non-user who loves the idea, but the initial learning curve looks pretty steep.

Cheers and Regards

Hi bphlpt,

We have largest group to involve on pe projects without advertisements etc. with development curve to better (not circle),

whoever you take info or impression better you refresh or reconsider your sources.

jaclaz suggestions are old news which all achived as written previously by me and Atari800XL,

generally jaclaz miss inspecting first and than critic, instead prefer writing same critics from same sheet following own agenda of posting goals,

since lots of years I know jaclaz same...

better he shows us how to do things in his own way with own development so we can understand and compare (joking :w00t: ).

You are welcome to create a tutorial for noobs,

Our experience shows since even a noob can run projects easly and learn how to make adjustments in some short days,

they do not create tutorials at the end of the day.

Maybe you will be the first noob doing such thing for other noobs after many years.

Reminding there are already some youtube videos around that demonstrates builds, some blog tutorials etc.

Still, We have FAQ section for frequently asked questions

http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=834.0

with available sections per each project to discuss project related things

http://theoven.org/index.php?board=33.0

Good building

Hi jaclaz,

there is no such issues ....

Good :), then fake I never posted that suggestion (which you would have ignored anyway :yes:), and that was BTW actually directed to Chris_R.

since lots of years I know jaclaz same...

You can bet on it (that jaclaz is "same").

The difference is that you changed your opinion on him and his contributions/suggestions.

jaclaz

Yes, I still keep up learning :thumbup I suggest others too :yes:

Thanks to public forums :ph34r: made me learn some stuff I missed.

In addition to what Einstein said

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

+ The one who never learn from mistakes never improves. :yes:

Edited by Lancelot_Real

About preset choice, it is not the first time that I hear you on this subject.

It is something already seen in some software (few) with a simple or advanced button.

Here, it is designed differently in the form of component, function,... modularly.

A preselection of plugin is a difficult thing to do to satisfy everyone, if I had to, I'm sure that I am wrong in my choices.

Some people need, Paint, Network, DotNet, VC++ or audio ... ... others not.

I think it's better to let users choose what to add, what to remove (by just enabling, disabling plugins) to suit their need.

It takes a little time at beggining, I agree but as learning others softwares.

The other choices on within each function are defined by default, it is not necessary to change them but those who want to customize more, can do it.

Also, there is not only packages, updates are done on a server, so something available today will not necessarily be valid next week, because options, plugins have been added in the meantime.

Another project could be a simple application, with some preset options, minimum, medium, full without leaving others choice.

Another choice equally commendable and there may be things, between both.

You must not forget also, that I, we are not professionals, it is a hobby that is dependent on free time, unfortunately not extensible ;)

I try to do my best and I try to listen (sometimes only keep in a corner) but I'm wrong also, which allows me to progress and learn.

The most important is all the time already freely given to build a project. Not sure that this continues much longer, longer.

Good. :)
The suggestions (as clearly stated) were about TWO things:

1. modularity (which is already present in the project :thumbup, and to such a granular level that one with the right knowledge can choose every single tiny bit and set it the way he/she wants it)
  2. simple ways to access these features (this is what is IMHO completely missing, and as said not particularly or only in this nice project)

I understand how this second part can be not a priority for you or the other developers :), though there is a difference between a "low-priority" issue or "too complex/not enough time to solve" and negating it as in "there is no issue".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072431/quotes?item=qt0484668

bhplt expressed very well :yes: some of the reasons why it may represent an issue, and described a reasonable scenario for which an easier accessibility would be advisable for the project, but of course any idea/suggestion is only that, and everyone is perfectly free to agree with it or not (or deem it impossible to realize in practice).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi wimb,

Folder Programs does not occur in Y: drive and Programs do not appear in Win8.1 SE Menu

But you can use Opera from folder Programs on USB Boot drive.

May be a little fix to get Programs visible in 8.1 SE Menu (and folder Programs may be visible in drive Y:)

It can be an advantage to have the large Programs outside boot.wim

:)

I do not have the hardware to fully test, here my USB keys/disk is mounted, assigned at startup and shortcuts on Y:\Programs are created without worries.
If you have a little time, to test without the option "Run ALL programs from RAM", to see if your USB disk is mounted on Y: at startup and shortcuts created.
No rush, for my part, I'm busy this afternoon.
I changed a little MountPEMedia with:
The main loop to wait (30s max) for drives to be assigned by the system is splitted in 2 parts now (8s and then 30s, max), with RenewUSB, Disable/Enable Root Hub20(30) between both.
Hoping that this will allow Windows assign USB drives at this time.
The loops search the flag file CdUsb.y or ISO to mount the CD/USB/ISO on drive Y:, following MoutPEMedia.ini.
The shorctus on Y: can then be created.
Edit: it is better with the modified script
Edited by ChrisR

Hi jaclaz,

you again smartly (joking) mixing things:

Free Hoby Time is a general trouble all developers have, not related to what you write.

Projects already have easiest accessibility with all ways.

It is already Simple to access all available features for the ones who knows how to use checkboxes.

As a Natural result of success, there are already copies of projects through internet distributed by individuals with their own settings, adviced by others, all opposite to what bhplt and you jaclaz wrote.

Even with this natural result, people ask things about build features, not about "how to build" or "how to use checkbox"

As seen on all project sections

http://theoven.org/index.php?board=33.0

http://theoven.org/index.php?board=29.0

http://theoven.org/index.php?board=20.0

http://theoven.org/index.php?board=7.0

and current topic...

What you do heavly smells like a bad propaganda , in which one do ignore replies and repeats same incorrect negative things writing differently..... (politics...)

Again saying,

"there is no issue" about things you wrote,

as explained by Chris 2 times, me, Atari800XL

nothing to solve about what you write, no time required to solve a non existant issue.

In addition, you can create your selections (what you name presets) and share with anyone by using

Utils\"ScriptManager"

which is available within all projects,

name them the way you like, Jaclaz_Bare , Jaclaz_Lite , Jaclaz_Medium , Jaclaz_Full ... whatever..

As I indicated, others easly create their own packages and share with their friends... Easiest ever..

I hope you end this sadly unproductive posts and let rest of the world continue developing things with their available free time.

Further, you can also create tutorials about "How to use Checkbox" etc. in the name of contribution.

Even Further, As I wrote earlier, it would be much better you create a project instead of filling posts with using your rules of discusive philosophy.

It would teach all how to do things the way you like.

Well, if you can, challenge is there waiting you, ms already made everything to run all build process by batches, hopefully on another topic.

As final words, All options there to be used easly by end user, all feedbacks made so far nicely,

if end user do not use options or do not listen, it is issue at end user side.

What you do heavly smells like a bad propaganda , in which one do ignore replies and repeats same incorrect negative things writing differently..... (politics...)

Look, as it is evident, I posted what I believe being a (hopefully) constructive idea/suggestion, which as said was directed to Chris_R, which BTW, while disagreeing with it, received it with most nicely manners.

I am not trying to start a fight with you (or anyone else for that matter), as a matter of fact I seek not any kind of interaction with you, of any kind.

Of course you are perfectly free to interpret my posts in whatever way you like.

I am not in any way willing (how? :unsure:) to prevent anyone from doing whatever they want to do in their free time, but I also expect noone to syndicate on what I should do in my free time.

As final words, All options there to be used easly by end user, all feedbacks made so far nicely,

As said, good :), let's hope that those words are actually final.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

As said, good :), let's hope that those words are actually final.

Without replying your above things , as I had said :thumbup

Even for future, Let current announcement topic continue with announcements and quick feedbacks.

For other things better create topics on dedicated project sections. :ph34r:

Edit: it is better with the modified script

Hi Chris,

I used the new script to do test without the option "Run ALL programs from RAM", to see if USB disk is mounted on Y: at startup and shortcuts created.

After booting from USB-harddisk FAT32 partition, then folder Programs is not available in Y: drive, but other folders sources and Boot and efi are present in Y: drive.

On USB-harddisk Boot drive I see folder Programs and the other folders/files and tagfile CdUsb.Y is available on this drive.

I can run Opera from folder Programs on USB-harddisk boot drive.

I did the test on AMD and on Intel i5 machine (in BIOS and UEFI mode)

Always drive Y: is made but folder Programs is not there and Menu of 8.1 SE does not contain programs as Opera etc.

Then I used Eject to Remove Drive Y: and then as Admin run MountPEmedia.exe.

Again Y: drive is made but folder Programs is not there.

For me it is no problem since I prefer to Run all Programs from RAM

and can use the same boot.wim for booting from USB and for PXE wimboot from Network.

The size of folder Programs is only 40 MB and is easily accomodated inside boot.wim

Edited by wimb

Thanks for these tests, so, the new program does not bring anything more, unfortunately. I will stay as it is currently.

I had some other feedback on this, but not many. It seems to work for most people.

In this case, we must build with all programs in boot.wim as you already do and as you prefer.

Is it possible to use a custom Windows 8.1 image that has apps or does it have to be the generic install media with no changes? In the past I have tried the whole add the apps doing the scripting thing and it never works out for me. I was thinking of just installing the apps by creating a custom image then sysprep and capture that using that install.wim file to build the PE.