BAD_EXHANDLE BSOD

dencorso

Have you ever encountered the BSOD referenced in the title? It's aka Bug Check 0x000000A7, BTW...
Can any of you all tell what is it related to?

I'm betting on intermittent hardware failure from hardware about to die, but any solid info on that is surely much appreciated.

You'll find it listed here, with a link to BAD-EXHANDLE, but there is essentially no information there at all. I assume this is the only time you've seen this error? It seems to be a rare one from my quick look around. The only "detail" I found was that "This indicates that the kernel-mode handle table detected an inconsistent handle table entry state."

Cheers and Regards

Then your experience does imply it might indeed be failing hardware related, but, like you, I can't seem to find any corroboration or further explanation about it. Maybe when jaclaz gets on...

Cheers and Regards

Maybe when jaclaz gets on...

... he might point you to the immortal words of user NogginBoink on anandtech :yes::

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1305319

Basically that error is caused by a driver.

captainobvious.jpg

Whether the problem is caused by the driver itself or by a malfunctioning of the underlying device is impossible to say.

Maybe with a full dump people like Cluberti or MagicAndre1981 may be able to pinpoint something.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi, jaclaz!

Yes, it looks like my machine is having an error. :D

... or bad RAM.

Thanks for chiming in and for the suggestions. :thumbup

Before reading you reply, I tried swapping all three memory sticks (3x 1 GiB DDR 400 @ 333 MHz) by other three actually older sticks, but known to be good. Done it because it's the easiest thing to do. If the BSOD persists, I'll move the HDDs and PCI cards to another identical motherboard / processor assembly (which is where the removed RAM sticks are going to be after cleaning). If that also proves useless, then I'll get the full dump.

Thanks for the offer, Andre! :thumbup

Believe me, I would gladly, if I had any. :yes:

That is one of the three machines I have, which have a 4 GiB Gigabyte i-RAM hardware ramdisk on one of the PCI slots, with a system managed pagefile in the ramdisk and none elsewhere... And, since I've never found a way to coerce Win XP to create dumps (neither mini nor full) without a pagefile in the system partition (= C:), it's configured to generate no dumps at all... :(

• 3 weeks later...

... or bad RAM.

I've tried swapping all three memory sticks (3x 1 GiB DDR 400 @ 333 MHz) by other three actually older sticks, but known to be good.

And it just worked! :D

Turns out the original RAM sticks I removed were all right, too... They were probably just badly seated, or too much oxidized, or both. They survived unscathed to 24 h Memtest86+, followed by 24 h Windows Memory Diagnostic v. 0.4, without presenting any errors at all, after having their contacts cleaned with a soft white pencil eraser and moving to another (A7V600-X) motherboard, in which I've run those tests. This post is just to tell what happened, to those interested.

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions! You all rock! :thumbup

(garf!) Guess I could try beating on the RAM in this beast -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163854-hp-g43-mobo-nops2usb-kbdmouse-nodetect/

Been busy "sucking" (apropos) the User Files off and looking at the first 2048 sectors (weird "shouldn't be there" stuff in there).

Not attempting a Hijack. Should have yanked and cleaned RAM too (MemTest said good).

Yep. Just reinforces what I have often suggested to those having weird problems, especially when they can't tell if they are hardware or software related. Though it is often a pain to completely take a machine apart and thoroughly clean it and reseat all connections and reswitch all switches (not many of those anymore), anyone with enough patience can do it. This method often works on non-computer things as well. Unfortunately, many folks don't want to listen to that advice. I'm glad that it ended up that that was all it took to fix your problems.

Cheers and Regards