Error message when trying to enable sharing of drives

I don't run IE, I run Opera. Since Opera is not tied to the O/S, why does/would it affect that? Actually, I run the "USB" or standalone version that is not "installed" which one would think distances it further from M$'s clutches.

Thanks for all of that, we did get OT somewhat.

What the heck are you talking about? :w00t:

Who talked of IE or Opera (or any other browser)?

A web site is a "server" that is intended to serve pages to a browser. (this mechanism is FULLY OS and browser independent, it is not on "your" side it is on the website side).

Your browser (any browser, under any OS) asks the website server to serve it a given page.

There are two possibilities:

1. the server understands the request and serves the right page
  2. the server does not understand the request and serves an error page (or the home page of the site or anyway *something* else).

Imagine that you (or someone else) enters a MacDonald's (just as an example of a chain that is all over the word and is well known) and asks:

(one, ein, uno, un, etc.) BIG MAC (please, bitteschen, per favore, s'ilt vous plait, etc.)

99.99% of cases you will get a BIG MAC.

BIG MAC is the internationally recognized name of a product that you can get @MacDonald's, you will be able to get one in all the world, without knowing a word of the local language.

Now imagine that you only speak - say - English and your religious beliefs :w00t: prevent you from saying "BIG MAC" and to make gestures pointing at the menu.

Until you are in the UK or in the US, you can have it nonetheless, by asking something like:

I would like to have one of those rather largish double decker hamburgers you sell, please.

Now, go try doing the same thing in - say - Moscow or Bangkok.

If you are lucky, the nice guy/gal behind the counter will know enough English to understand your request, and you will get your BIG MAC alright, but if he/she doesn't you will get none (or something else).

jaclaz

If this module fails (or is missing, or is misconfigured, or is buggy, as it happened on MS at EACH and EVERY board software update in the last few years)

I got that from here. You referred to "MS" which led me to believe it was MS related somehow, as in IE which didn't make any sense to me. Sorry I misunderstood you.

You referred to "MS" which led me to believe it was MS related somehow, as in IE which didn't make any sense to me. Sorry I misunderstood you.

My bad actually :(, I meant MSFN (this very board) as hinted in the previous post, the FN remained in the tips of my fingers :blushing:, corrected the post to avoid future misundrstandings.

jaclaz

I loaded a new install and the sharing did work. I think I have had more problems in the last four months with Win7 and everything associated with it (UEFI, GPT & missing core drivers) than I have had in the past 14 years. :realmad:

Would that mean that you are aging badly? :unsure:

;)

:lol:

jaclaz