Error message when trying to enable sharing of drives

Win7 sp1 x64
using hidden admin account (super admin)

error 0x00000154

When I try to enable sharing of partitions (drive letters) I get this error. I tried it on different drive letters, but the same thing. I searched for this using the error message but no meaningful results.

No answer here, had to go elsewhere.

And even in other places, where seemingly you left the question unfinalized:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/314255-unable-share-drives-error-0x00000154.html

http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/297466-unable-share-drives-error-0x00000154-win-7-pro.html

Anyone which will have your same issue may find your n posts on n boards, without a solution.

jaclaz

Good. :)
The original source page is available here (google cache will soon be updated and will stop working):
http://www.rt7lite.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=65&func=view&catid=2&id=1518

It seems like the good guys @rt7lite.com are experiencing similar issues to the ones we have (and had and will have :() with board software, "friendly names" and what not.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

So to have a copy of it here since it seems so hard to find... (posted at rt7lite by Paul - I have NOT verified the accuracy of this)

I figured it out! I needed to have windows firewall and base filtering engine services installed, but they can be disabled. Now I am able to get the computer browser service started and set to automatic. I also added a CLSID:{E2B3C97F-6AE1-41AC-817A-F6F92166D7DD}.

So if you have the same problem, all you need to do is go to a working Windows 7 comp and export BFE and MpsSvc from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services and then go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E2B3C97F-6AE1-41AC-817A-F6F92166D7DD} and export that also. Now just run those reg files on ur comp and then you can start the computer browser service. You may need to reboot before it will start though. Now share a folder! And if you want you can go back and make sure Firewall and Base Filtering Engine are disabled because they don't actually need to be running, but they need to be installed anyway (don't have a clue why they don't need to be started but whatever).

Cheers and Regards

"It seems like the good guys @rt7lite.com are experiencing similar issues to the ones we have (and had and will have ) with board software, "friendly names" and what not"

Explain. :huh:

"export BFE and MpsSvc from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services and then go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E2B3C97F-6AE1-41AC-817A-F6F92166D7DD} and export that also. Now just run those reg files"

He lost me on all of that. How can you export a registry file and then run it?

Edited by videobruce

It would be safer for you to first just try to make sure that Windows firewall and base filtering engine services are installed and enabled and running on your system, reboot a time or two, and see if your are then able to share drives. If that doesn't work, then your situation might be different than the one that was described.

But just to explain what the referenced post was talking about, it was about using regedit to copy some keys from the registry of a working Windows 7 installation to the registry of a problem system, which should only be done by someone who has enough experience to be comfortable with messing around with the registry, since it could make problems worse if you do it wrong, and could make your system unbootable. For those that want to try it, they should make sure that they first backup the registry and create a restore point. Then, on a working Windows 7 installation that has Windows firewall and base filtering engine services installed and that is able to successfully share drives. use regedit to select each of the three mentioned keys in the tree on the left and export those keys to three .reg files. (File -- Export...) Copy those three .reg files to the Windows 7 installation that has the problem sharing drives. Right click each .reg file and select Merge. Reboot. According to the referenced post, it should now work. I have not verified this. YMMV

EDIT: When he said "run it" he means that on a normal system when you double-click a .reg file, ie you "run" it, it invokes "Merge". But IMO, for safety's sake so that you don't accidentally merge a file that you didn't really mean to, since you cannot easily undo that operation, you should always change that default behavior to "Edit" or "Open with Notepad", and this is a common tweak. Once you do that, you have to do the two-step right-click - Merge to do the same thing but that isn't that much trouble to do and is much harder to do by accident.

Be careful and good luck.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

it was about using regedit to copy some keys from the registry of a working Windows 7 installation to the registry of a problem system

I understood that part. No problem there.

Copy those three keys to the Windows 7 installation that has the problem sharing drives. Right click each .reg file and select Merge. Reboot.

Still understood, but the last part his post didn't state. Merge and "run" to me are two totally different operations. I never saw/heard the term "merge" used during registry operations.

I wish I had a dollar for every post, blog, article etc. that has incorrect, misleading, vague and/or missing information as this does. The writer who knows the process, assumes everyone else is at his level.

So his use of the term "run" really means "merge"? I didn't know there was that option since I never saw any procedures that needed that to be done.

When he said "run it" he means that on a normal system when you double-click a .reg file, ie you "run" it, it invokes "Merge"

I know how to "run" a registry file, I've done it dozens of times. It's a poor choice of terms AFAIC.What I don't understand is, a entry already in the registry, how can you 'run' one that is already there? Any time I 'ran' a registry file, it was a separate file with a 'reg' extension.

BTW, I plan on reinstalling the O/S anyway, but I just wondered what this deal was all about.

Edited by videobruce

I know how to "run" a registry file, I've done it dozens of times. It's a poor choice of terms AFAIC. What I don't understand is, a entry already in the registry, how can you 'run' one that is already there? Any time I 'ran' a registry file, it was a separate file with a 'reg' extension.

I must not have made myself clear somehow. Please note the one place below where I changed "key" to ".reg file". Sorry for any confusion that might have caused.

... use regedit to select each of the three mentioned keys in the tree on the left and export those keys to three .reg files. (File -- Export...) Copy those three keys .reg files to the Windows 7 installation that has the problem sharing drives. Right click each .reg file and select Merge. Reboot.

EDIT: When he said "run it" he means that on a normal system when you double-click a .reg file, ie you "run" it, it invokes "Merge". ...

I'm very confused when you say:

... Merge and "run" to me are two totally different operations. I never saw/heard the term "merge" used during registry operations.

What I don't understand is, a entry already in the registry, how can you 'run' one that is already there? ...

Even Microsoft uses the term "Merge" when they discuss changing the registry via .reg files. You can see here for an example of their terminology:

1. Create a new text file, and then paste the following information in the new text file.
  2. Save the new text file as the RestoreHandlerKeys.reg file. Make sure that you use the .reg extension so that the file is associated as a Windows registry script file.
  3. Right-click the RestoreHandlerKeys.reg file, and then click Merge. If you receive a message that asks you to allow the merge, click Yes.

What did you think happened when you "ran" a .reg file? If you right-click a .reg file, do you see the word "run" anywhere? What actually happens, AFAIK, is that regedit is invoked which actually "runs" the .reg file, ie follows the instructions in the .reg file (the same kind of way that cmd is invoked to "run" a batch script or cscript is invoked to "run" a VBScript), which "merges" the information in the .reg file with the existing registry info. Merge doesn't always mean "add" the way you might be thinking, since some of the "instructions" in the .reg file can actually be to delete something. Anyway, it doesn't care what is already there or not, which is why they can be so dangerous, but it just follows the instructions. So you can run/merge the same .reg file 100 times in a row or just once and the results will be the same. So it doesn't care whether the keys referred to are already there or not, it just writes over what is there, or not, with whatever the instructions say, or deletes what is there, or not, if that is what the instructions say. It is totally blind and doesn't care whether the data written makes any sense and doesn't care how critically important whatever data is that it is asked to delete. It just does it.

Does that make more sense?

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

"It seems like the good guys @rt7lite.com are experiencing similar issues to the ones we have (and had and will have ) with board software, "friendly names" and what not"

Explain. :huh:

Try copying the address of this very thread as you see it in your browser address bar and paste it in the little converter linked to in my signature as "Broken link on MSFN? You may try this." and press the BAD Address -> GOOD one button.

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170508-error-message-when-trying-to-enable-sharing-of-drives/

will become:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=170508

The MSFN board is currently using "friendly names" which are a senseless feature needing an additional module (and an extension to the License of the software).

If this module fails (or is missing, or is misconfigured, or is buggy, as it happened here on MSFN at EACH and EVERY board software update in the last few years) the board software won't be able to resolve that address and - depending on other settings - you will land to a 404 page or to the homepage, etc.

The board software "native" addressing mode is like this:

hxxp://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=170508

since topics are inside a database, the database is interrogated and item #170508 is displayed.

jaclaz

EDIT: corrected MS to MSFN

Edited by jaclaz

What did you think happened when you "ran" a .reg file?

It initiated or activate the file. Merge to me is when something is combined with something else. Not added as a separate entity. I did kinda forgot about the right click option of "merge", as I haven't used that function for some time. But, than again it's M$, it's their way of the highway, which kinda explains the post following yours.

jaclaz;

Ok, then their forum/site is still there? What is the work around?

Ok, then their forum/site is still there? What is the work around?

I already posted a valid link:

http://www.rt7lite.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=65&func=view&catid=2&id=1518

The one that does not work:

hxxp://www.rt7lite.com/rt-se7en-lite-forum/2-error-reports/1518-error-0x00000154-when-trying-to-share-files.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The root of the forum is Itemid=65:

http://www.rt7lite.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=65

"Error reports" is catid=2:

http://www.rt7lite.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=65&func=showcat&catid=2

The thread is id=1518

jaclaz

I don't run IE, I run Opera. Since Opera is not tied to the O/S, why does/would it affect that? Actually, I run the "USB" or standalone version that is not "installed" which one would think distances it further from M$'s clutches.

Thanks for all of that, we did get OT somewhat.

Edited by videobruce