K-Lite Codec Pack and ffdshow with KernelEX and Kext

schwups

K-Lite Codec Pack

The last version officially supported on Windows 98/ME is K-Lite Codec Pack 3.4.5 (17.September.2007). Newer versions might work if you install KernelEx. Don't expect everything in the pack to work.

Wiki:
http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/K-Lite_Codec_Pack

Some configuration panels of higher versions don't work (DScaler5 MPEG-2decoder , Haali video renderer) or might cause a system crash (e.g > madFlac).

Another problem is that the control panels don't open anymore via Start Menu with versions 6.40 and higher, also with corrected shortcuts.
(Start Menu > Programs > K-lite Codec Pack > Configration > "choose panel" > properties > Shortcut > Target )

The panels need to run the RUNDLL32.exe.
e.g. Shortcut for ffdshow audio decoder: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\rundll32.exe "C:\Programme\K-Lite Codec Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax",configureAudio

98/ME has the RUNDLL32.exe in the windows folder and XP in the system32 folder. The installer creates wrong Start Menu shortcuts on 98/ME. Up to version 6.30 (ffdshow rev3530) it's possible to correct the paths.

Workaround:

For higher versions it's required to use a newer RUNDLL32.exe and the Kext file below supports missing functions.

Kernel32.dll:
ActivateActCtx
CreateActCtx
DeactivateActCtx
ReleaseActCtx

First, it doesn't make sense to replace the original file. An annoying message will appear on system start.
I recommend to place the newer RUNDLL32.exe into the system32 folder or renamed into the system folder. Keep the original file in the windows folder. The Shortcut paths must be adjusted accordingly.

Required:

KernelEX 4.5.2

Kext Kstub822 (an updated Kstub822.ini)Kstub822.7z
Kext Installation:
- extract Kstub822.dll and Kstub822.ini into the KernelEx folder (C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx)
- modify contents= line in Core.ini to read: contents=Kstub822,std,kexbases,kexbasen
- upon reboot it will take effect

rundll32.dll (XP version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) maybe other versions might work, but not testet) rundll32.7z

I look forward suggestions for improvements. :)

The workaround works on 98SE.

Note to Win ME:

It can succeed on ME, but usually it doesn't. It had worked only on my first ME test system for a while. On ME I get the message "RUNDLL32 has caused an error in IMAGEHLP.DLL. RUNDLL will now close.". It's possible to open the panels on ME by replacing IMAGEHLP.DLL with IMAGEHLP.DLL of 98SE. The easiest way is to rename the 98SE file, e.g. imagehl.dll, and to paste it into the system folder. Then the value data of the registry string HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs IMAGEHLP has to be modified to IMAGEHL.DLL. So far I can not see any abnormalities.

Edited by schwups

I have ffdshow 3562 manually installed (no K-Lite), Start Menu shortcuts modified to use standard 8.3 paths without quotes and the control panels display properly in 98SE. As mentioned in the other topic, paths have to follow the 8.3 format where there are spaces in the file/folder name.

Actually all the control panels belong to a single file: ffdshow.ax. This one does not require any KernelEx compatibility, at least on my system. Other libraries in the ffdshow folder do.

Looking through its exports I noticed configureAudioRaw which opens a separate control panel that does not appear in Start Menu after standard package installation. For this I just duplicated an already path-modified Audio shortcut and changed the parameter from configureAudio to configureAudioRaw. Full command line is:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax,configureAudioRaw

Still, until now I had no luck playing that file. After uninstalling coreFLAC, GOM either throws an error related to ACM Wrapper::Output or simply "can't play this file". ffdshow doesn't even seem to attempt to load, not even in MPC-HC set as Preferred.

Is there a control panel for madFLAC? I can't find an entry point to call in madFLAC.ax.

Edited by Drugwash

madFLAC is a separate package, same as ffdshow, therefore each of them should have their own settings and contol panels. Since I couldn't find a way to trigger one in madFLAC, I assume it's a third-party application that manipulates certain registry keys pertaining to madFLAC. Can you please tell me what the command line is for madFLAC in it's control panel shortcut created by K-Lite? Or is it a generic control panel that controls all codecs installed by the K-Lite package?

Thank you. Just as I suspected it appears to be a third-party utility.

I know about Monogram, actually I've tried it yesterday after installing xmllite which was missing. Unfortunately it wouldn't work with that FLAC track (on my system). :(

Apparently we're talking about different (but related) things. Monogram Multimedia s.r.o. seems to be the maker of GraphStudio which I tried with no success. Can't find any dsconfig there though.

Edited by Drugwash

K-Lite Codec Pack

The last version officially supported on Windows 98/ME is K-Lite Codec Pack 3.4.5 (17.09.2007). Newer versions might work if you install KernelEx.

I've tried to install newer versions of K-lite, but the install ends quickly when it determines it's running on a win-98 system. I've tried to unpack the k-lite exe file using 7-zip, but that doesn't work. How do you get newer versions of Klite to bypass the win-98 check?

K-Lite Codec Pack

The last version officially supported on Windows 98/ME is K-Lite Codec Pack 3.4.5 (17.09.2007). Newer versions might work if you install KernelEx.

I've tried to install newer versions of K-lite, but the install ends quickly when it determines it's running on a win-98 system. I've tried to unpack the k-lite exe file using 7-zip, but that doesn't work. How do you get newer versions of Klite to bypass the win-98 check?

Did you install the K-Lite Codec Pack with KernelEX comp. mode Win2000 SP4? Versions 7,8 and higher require KernelEX comp. mode XP!

Did you install the K-Lite Codec Pack with KernelEX comp. mode Win2000 SP4? Versions 7,8 and higher require KernelEX comp. mode XP!

Hmmm. I could have sworn I set the kex compatiblity to either 2K or XP for several different versions of K-lite before running them.

I tried again, just now, and was able to work my way up through these versions:

ffdshow_rev2583_20090105_clsid.exe

ffdshow_rev2583_20090105_clsid.exe

ffdshow_rev3176_20100102_clsid.exe

ffdshow_rev3721_20110107_clsid.exe

ffdshow_rev4225_20120105_clsid.exe

and this time the install ran each time. So ok, I stopped at the last version (4225). At this point I have no idea if I've gone to far, or if it works or doesn't work.

PS: This site is really a bear to post to for people that are really running win-98. I can only post using Opera 12. MANY other web forums I can still post to using FF2.

In regard to ffdshow I don't think, that you're gone to far, though I haven't yet testet latest ffdshow versions enough. Of course there is the start menu shortcut problem. Installation problems with the K-Lite Codec Pack occur with version 8.70 and higher here. I always recommend to make a clean install. Don't install over an older version.

PS: This site is really a bear to post to for people that are really running win-98. I can only post using Opera 12. MANY other web forums I can still post to using FF2.

IE6 SP1 works also. I am running 98SE right now.

Hm, this summer I have successfully made a post here with the Dillo browser, which is very-very minimalistic.

Edited by M()zart

Ok, i'll join in with some feedback too! I'm typing this with Pale Moon v3.6.32 (a Win-optimized FF fork). To reply, i have to "Temporarily allow all this page" with NoScript (a FF add-on), which makes this site significantly-more sluggish, but still do-able. (With NoScript fully engaged, *reading* this site is just a bit sluggish.)

It does seem, however, that each time this site's software changes (upgraded?), it becomes more sluggish and harder to use for us Win9x folks. Just something i've noticed....

- Doug B.

Subject "Open panels via Start Menu"

Note to Win ME:

It can succeed on ME, but usually it doesn't. It had worked only on my first ME test system for a while. On ME I get the message "RUNDLL32 has caused an error in IMAGEHLP.DLL. RUNDLL will now close.". It's possible to open the panels on ME by replacing IMAGEHLP.DLL with IMAGEHLP.DLL of 98SE.

I am still not clear why it works on 98SE and not on ME. I like to understand why!I'm still not able to understand the Windows error messages.I hope one day I'll learn it or go on a course.Perhaps there is someone who helps out.

:sneaky:

Dependency Walker: The main difference between the use of imagehlp of Win ME and imagehlp of Win 98SE seems to be the additional delay loaded DBGHELP.dll.But it is probably not relevant.I already tried different versions of DBGHELP.dll (5.0, 5.1, 6.x) IMAGEHLP.DLL (5.0, 5.1) and RUNDLL32.exe (XP/Vista).MSVCRT or updated to MSVCR70 makes no difference.As I said, only the IMAGEHLP.DLL of 98SE leads to success.

post-266873-0-86742000-1387218065_thumb.

post-266873-0-70803700-1387218126_thumb.

Edited by schwups