Getting fed up with Windows 2000

Tommy

Windows 2000 has for an extremely long time remained my favorite operating system. However, I've lately been getting very irritated by it. Putting aside the fact that I cannot get Corel VideoStudio X5 to work on it which I use on a daily basis, I'm experiencing a ton of explorer.exe crashes and it's getting very frustrating. Sometimes it only takes minimizing a window or switching to another program to make it critical stop, close, and reopen. I used to deal with a very sluggish explorer on occasion which doesn't seem to happen very much anymore but now explorer coming to its knees at least 10 or more times a day is making me think about upgrading to at least Windows XP. It's something I really don't want to have to do because I much prefer Windows 2000 to the bloatware that has become Windows these days and I love that it doesn't require activation of any sorts. But this is a problem that I can't take much more of. I should have logs in the event viewer if anyone is interested in seeing them if they wish to assist me. But to top it off I'm using the latest UURollup v11 from tomasz86 which is the November daily version (but it's been doing this longer than just this release) and all other major updates that I know about. Other than that, nothing has really changed about the system I use software or hardware related. I noticed now that once in a while I seem to get a bit of a flicker on both monitors when I watch a YouTube video or use a Java based application. So yeah, that's where I'm at right now.

Almost explorer.exe crashing cause of other program shell extension.

You can check the reason the following way,

set foloder option single process with exploerer.

run dependency walker or VC++

explorer stop with taskmgr .

select exploerer.exe

VC++ with F5 debugging or dependency walker with F7 profileng

you will get the reason

I'm profiling right now but I haven't crashed explorer yet, the event log only states that "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted." So I'm guessing something with the shell is causing this but I don't know what exactly. I will continue to profile and post anything that might be of use.

I'm profiling right now but I haven't crashed explorer yet, the event log only states that "The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted." So I'm guessing something with the shell is causing this but I don't know what exactly. I will continue to profile and post anything that might be of use.

Does your event log show Event source ?

ex)

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Winlogon

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1002

Date: Date

Time: Time

User: N/A

Computer: Computer

Description:

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

If you can provide your integrated ISO image or VM Image, i research it. :angel

Edited by blackwingcat

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 11/30/2013
Time: 1:32:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HP_PAVILION
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

That's basically what it shows me which I have a bunch more identical to it in the event viewer. If I can get enough time, I'll try to compile an ISO and upload it. If it's of any help, it seems like if I'm doing something with pictures or video that this happens. It's not a for sure deal but it seems doing anything in that line of work provokes this a lot more.

Edited by Tommy

Did you install IE6.0SP1-KB2817183-WINDOWS2000-X86-ENU.EXE with QFE mode ?

shdocvw.dll 6.0.2800.2032

wininet.dll/mshtml.dll 6.0.2800.1703

GDR IE6SP1 Security update have the critical crash problem. since April,2010 before !

I have Internet Explorer 6 installed because it's automatically installed when I install Windows 2000.

wininet.dll/mshtml.dll is version 6.0.2800.1687

shdocvw.dll is version 6.0.2800.2024

Apparently I don't have it but if it wasn't in the HF_SLIP compilation, then I don't have it for sure.

I have Internet Explorer 6 installed because it's automatically installed when I install Windows 2000.

Neither Windows 2000 nor SP4 come with Internet Explorer 6. You either installed it after installation or used a custom installation CD that included it.

Phil

Neither Windows 2000 nor SP4 come with Internet Explorer 6. You either installed it after installation or used a custom installation CD that included it.

Phil

I know it came with either version 5 or 5.5, I can't remember offhand which. It was a custom installation CD, I created it myself using tomasz86's compilation from November 2012. I know it's old but when I made a new CD using this March 2013 I believe it was, I had a lot of problems with it so I went back to using the older version and just installed his unofficial update rollup packs manually.