KB2670838 IE 10

bookie32

Hi guys!

The issues surrounding the fated KB267038 on HP computers is a pain!!

I have a customer computer which is a HP dv6. This model has had a lot of problems with the above KB.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this bug has been passed over to the IE 11 as well?

bookie32

Hi MagicAndre1981!

Sorry, that was a Little remiss of me.... ;)

The KB file is to prepare (as they call it ) windows 7 for IE 10 but it causes nothing but blue screens on a lot of HP DV6 series laptops...

Just wondered if they are still using this file for Windows IE 11...

I havent Heard if they have fixed the problem or if they expect HP to do that....

bookie2

Edited by bookie32

you can try experiment by uninstalling that KB and

blocking that specific KB patch so it wont be installed again by windows updates,

using workaround like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix\KB267038]"Installed"=dword:00000001

then try to see if installing IE10 and/or IE11 afterward would cause instability or not.

Don't forget to set up a restore point, before starting the experiments.

Hi again!

Thanks guys...

Jaclaz...tried the latest update for the Graphics card but still caused problems....

Joseph_sw...Had to let the computer go with IE installed and working without blue screens...my customer is using firefox and chrome without any problems...so we will see what transpires in the future...

Thanks again!

bookie32

Hi MagicAndre1981!

Wonderful!

I have given the computer back as said above - but will be visiting this customer with other computer issues in the near future and can fix this then...

Thank you so much for your time!

bookie32

ok, install this update to fix the BSODs:

"0x00000050" Stop error after you install update 2670838 on a computer that is running Windows 7 SP1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2834140/en-us

Update replacement information

This update does not replace a previously released update.

the NON-written part:

.... it merely fixes the stupidity of previous update 2670838, any normal person would have made a new update, replacing the old, flaky one and including this fix, or at least put a link to KB2834140 on the actual KB2670838, but we are MS and know better.... :whistle:;)

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz!

Is this the same MS who, in their wisdom, released a OS called Windows 8 and 8.1? I am sure that they are smarter than that....? :ph34r:

One thing about Windows 8...all the local stores in our Town only sell Windows 8, so pensioners, who often have limited skills regarding starting and turning off computers, are stuck with Windows 8.

Well as we know the sales of Windows 8 has been terrible...so, my internet suppliers have many models from most manufacturers with windows 7 installed on them with the option to upgrade to Windows 8 - if you are stupid enough to do that.... :w00t:

bookie32

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

Well, an update on this saga from Microsoft!! I have another HP DV6 with the same symptoms as before - but this one has the KB2834140 update installed....

That so called update isn't fixing the problem on HP DV6 laptops....!!

bookie32