OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

I thought of something that would be absolutely AWESOME to be able to accomplish, and I don't know whether it might be something this application could do, but...

What if pop-ups (like "The destination already has a file named 'blahblah', Replace the file in the destination, Skip this file, Compare info for both files") actually would consistently pop IN FRONT of the other windows (including the File Explorer window that popped it up)?

Tihiy, given the parts of Explorer you hook, can you do something to detect such dialogs and change them from being "pop behind" windows to actual "pop up" windows?

-Noel

The app is under lazy-development. I would be glad to implement more features, but the main bug is inability to properly inject into all explorer / save as windows.

Until this is solved, it will remain "test version".

I hate to ask, since I know it'd (probably) be more work than it's worth, but could you backport this to 7 (or at least just the ShellStyle.dll UIFILE loading)? ONE on 8/8.1 is amazing, but I'm stuck using 7 since 8/8.1 performs poorly with games on my early-2011 laptop.

I'm confused.  If the purpose of ONE is to make Win8.x explorer like the Win7 explorer, and you are "stuck using 7", ie you are already using Win7 explorer, then why would you need ONE backported to Win7?

Cheers and Regards

The greatest part of OldNewExplorer is it's ability to alter all system dll UI Files from within the shellstyle.dll, this means you can completely change UI elements when selecting a custom theme from the personalization menu, at the moment on windows 7 this can only be achieved by patching individual system files and those changes can be undone at any time after a windows update, not to mention that these changes to system files would have to be performed every time you wanted to change your theme and can lead to serious problems resulting in users needing to reinstall windows.

I thought of something that would be absolutely AWESOME to be able to accomplish, and I don't know whether it might be something this application could do, but...

What if pop-ups (like "The destination already has a file named 'blahblah', Replace the file in the destination, Skip this file, Compare info for both files") actually would consistently pop IN FRONT of the other windows (including the File Explorer window that popped it up)?

Tihiy, given the parts of Explorer you hook, can you do something to detect such dialogs and change them from being "pop behind" windows to actual "pop up" windows?

-Noel

I believe that attribute is called 'focus'. I am not sure if Tihiy wants to mess with that as it involves attribute changes to a specific event, but which might be tied into other events as well. The reason the dialog box (or window) goes behind is that you changed the focus with the mouse to another window.

I am not doing anything wrong to cause the "pop-behind" window.  I can start a copy by dragging a file from one File Explorer window to another with nothing other than the two Explorer windows on the desktop and the notification that the destination file already exists sometimes just pops behind one or the other Explorer windows.  The "pop-behind" window will have the focus - in the worst cases it's just not visible.  A button will appear and glow yellow on the Taskbar.

It's an intermittent bug, plain and simple, that's either been introduced or greatly exaggerated by Windows 8.

I've even tweaked the ForegroundLockTimeout and while this helps some there's no getting around this bad behavior in any solid way.

See also:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b3814b2c-9f35-431d-a8ae-7492857e1f5a/file-operation-process-at-the-background?forum=w8itprogeneral

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@NoelC

That is odd behavior. When I have done copy/paste/move, I will get the transfer dialog window (box) and if it has an issue of overwrite, that dialog replaces the action dialog in the same box. I haven't experienced your situation. I will usually move it to the side so I can keep an eye on it. I do not have two windows going though I have used Total Commander but with no problems there as well.

I take from your history that I can assume this even happens with a clean install?

I too go back to the days of Dos 4 and up and using windows 3.0 and up. I try to keep my third party programs to a minimum and use jv16 power tools to monitor my registry for any problems.

ps.

Went to your link, not questioning your abilities. Just never see most of the problems people have. Any I have had I can usually fix without problems. I am not an engineer, but hard knocks from the eighties with some college level courses in computers. Have built, fixed and repaired my own and others since the 1992.

pps.

Just followed up on your convos at your link and understand what you are saying now. You would like the dialog window to re-appear on top when it needs attention. Got it now. Having it 'on top' attributed would also be a pain as it would be in the way all the time as well. At least the taskbar flashes when it needs attention. That is some consolation. Mine have never auto minimized though.

Edited by Wolfshadow

I had considered the possibility that I was somehow causing the problem by some tweak I've done, but I have actually reproduced it on a fresh install on a VM, and others are reporting it as well, though not at a high level.  I have come to believe it has to do with the subtleties of how different folks do things.  I tend to open two Explorer windows and drag things between them.  By contrast, I almost never do copy/paste.  I also have an extremely responsive I/O subsystem with over one and a half gigabytes/second throughput capability, so it's possible that in my case something in Explorer is getting out of order from what most folks see.

There have been so many glitches over the years where Windows doesn't get something quite right, and 3rd party developers come along and add tweaks to make it more right...  I just think this is one of those cases.

Like you, I don't have many problems.  This particular issue is (scratching my head) just about the only thing my system doesn't do quite right at this point.  I really have a stable, usable system.  That's when the last little things like this "pop-behind" issue get irritating.  My computing experience is quite smooth otherwise.  Anyway, thanks for your input.

-Noel

hello everyone, you need to donate to Tihiy for support future development by donating to prevent discontinue developed!

Who are you to say things like that?

And anyway, "need to donate" means "pay". And I would never "donate" to something that I don't know if it will be update...

hello everyone, you need to donate to Tihiy for support future development by donating to prevent discontinue developed!

The app is under lazy-development. I would be glad to implement more features, but the main bug is inability to properly inject into all explorer / save as windows.

@f23948

As you can see from Tihiy's quote, this is a test version and not an actual release like his StartIsBack. I am sure that when the time comes, Tihiy and no one else will decide if he wants "donations". He has a life you know, and develops when he gets to it (see his quote "lazy-development"), not by how much is donated to the project.

Know this, coding is very time consuming. Worse when Microsoft releases updates. You can have everything all set and have it all undone by one update. No amount of "donations" will make this any easier or faster.

Edited by Wolfshadow

• 5 weeks later...

Tihiy, are there any quick workarounds for the inject issue? (besides logging off/restart)

Really appreciate all that you have done with this app!  Let us know if some donations would help inspire resolution of this...

Edited by JTB3

Not sure if it all related but I have a few issues with this...

1. Every time I launch "OldNewExplorerCfg.exe", all the 4 checkboxes for "use command bar instead of ribbon" are checked. But I always check just one, the "hide up". If I close the window and re-launch it, all 4 checkboxes will be checked again.
  2. Even with "hide up" checked, every time I sign off and sign back in (or reboot the computer) the up button will still be visible. It seems to only work once after launching the configuration dialog, and revert back after sign off/in.

Anyone else having these issues or it's just me?

1. Every time I launch "OldNewExplorerCfg.exe", all the 4 checkboxes for "use command bar instead of ribbon" are checked. But I always check just one, the "hide up". If I close the window and re-launch it, all 4 checkboxes will be checked again.
  2. Even with "hide up" checked, every time I sign off and sign back in (or reboot the computer) the up button will still be visible. It seems to only work once after launching the configuration dialog, and revert back after sign off/in.

Have you tried running the config app as administrator?

• 2 weeks later...

Has been happening for me since the first version.