OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

I can't uninstall the current version of Old New Explorer. I am getting this:

OldNewExplorerUninstall.png

(OldNewExplorer32.dll)

OldNewExplorerUninstall2.png

(OldNewExplorer64.dll)

I want to uninstall it to see if it's the culprit of this problem:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1480884/windows-8-1-problem-replace-or-skip-files-dialog-box-not-getting-focus-doesnt-open-on-top

My friend tompsonn replied just now and said that he's had the same thing happen to him, and he's not using any third-party apps like this. ****. Oh well. I guess I no longer need to uninstall Old New Explorer! lol (I'd rather keep it anyway if possible, y'know?!)

Of course, I'd still like it if this could uninstall just as easily as it installed. It's not nice when a problem like this exists.

Edit: I figured it out. All I had to do was register these two DLLs. Then, I clicked Uninstall, rebooted, and presto chango it worked. lol

Here's how to register these DLLs (any DLL, actually):

Open either a Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as an administrator, or PowerShell as an administrator. Then, type regsvr32 and then the full path of the DLL in quotations (but quotes are NOT needed if the path has absolutely zero spaces in it, such as C:\Example\example2\filename.ext as opposed to C:\Example Folder\example folder 2\File name.ext). For example, this is mine:

regsvr32 "D:\My Documents\Setup Files\OldNewExplorer\OldNewExplorer32.dll"

Press Enter.

regsvr32 "D:\My Documents\Setup Files\OldNewExplorer\OldNewExplorer64.dll"

Press Enter

The next time you install Old New Explorer, you will have to re-register these DLLs before uninstalling. So, if you want to install and uninstall 10 times in a row, then you will need to re-register these DLLs 10 times in a row. See? :)

Edited by TwoCables

Aw. I think I screwed something up because now the only way I can uninstall it and install it is in Safe Mode. lol Oh well. At least it works and at least it's still awesome.

Edited by TwoCables

It would be awesome if you could backport the loading of UIFILE resources in shellstyle.dll to Windows 7.

Fully agree, it would be awesome to have this for 7, I would much prefer users never needing to modify system files for the sake of modifying a UI file.

It would be awesome if you could backport the loading of UIFILE resources in shellstyle.dll to Windows 7.

Fully agree, it would be awesome to have this for 7, I would much prefer users never needing to modify system files for the sake of modifying a UI file.

Well, ResourceSpy does this on 7, but it takes up a lot of memory since it tracks every resource in every DLL and EXE, not just ones with UIFILE resources loaded. This makes it more powerful, since you can replace bitmaps in some files, but the memory usage is not worth it.

EDIT: I got ResourceSpy to work without even running the EXE. I put AveResourceReplacer.dll in Appinit_DLLs and it works! Now, if only this tool was actually free and you didn't have a WSB license to download it normally.

Edited by Dblake1

EDIT: I got ResourceSpy to work without even running the EXE. I put AveResourceReplacer.dll in Appinit_DLLs and it works! Now, if only this tool was actually free and you didn't have a WSB license to download it normally.

That's not really safe.

That's not really safe.

Well it works for the moment. I know it's not necessarily the best method of doing things, but it works. I want to make my own program/library to load UIFILEs from shellstyle.dll on 7, but I have no knowledge to do so.

I have an idea for a feature that may be possible to implement, although i dont know if it would be possible.

Re-enable the logon and logoff sounds. As Microsoft seems to have hard coded these not to play anymore during logon and logoff. Kinda a bummer :(

That is to speed up Startup which was a well documented Pro of Win 8

I was aware of that. That however does not change the fact that it would be nice to be added as a feature. Microsoft even took the time to make a new login sound yet it is never used :P