OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

Also, is there any way of hiding the folders but not showing the Libraries instead?

Hide them from Explorer with standard way (right-click empty space -> uncheck Show libraries).

Hello

OldNewExplorer works with Win 10 ?

Or is it possible to do "manually" for like with explorer of Win 7 (devices / drives grouping and libraries / remove folders)

Thanks so much

Edited by bapt

As far as I tested, I noticed the following issues when using OldNewExplorer with Windows 10 build 10240:

• enabling "Use libraries; hide folders from This PC" does not hide folders in This PC

• Choosing Silver cream as command bar theme (when ribbon is disabled) cause visual glitches with the left panel in File Explorer as shown below

OldNewExplorer_bug01.PNG

Edited by NameNotRequired

As far as I tested, I noticed the following issues when using OldNewExplorer with Windows 10 build 10240:

• enabling "Use libraries; hide folders from This PC" does not hide folders in This PC

• Choosing Silver cream as command bar theme (when ribbon is disabled) cause visual glitches with the left panel in File Explorer as shown below

OldNewExplorer_bug01.PNG

This is because of the old Windows 8 shell32.dll UI files used, there have been a few changes that will need updating but it's nothing difficult to fix.

Remove folders  --

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{088e3905-0323-4b02-9826-5d99428e115f}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{1CF1260C-4DD0-4ebb-811F-33C572699FDE}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{24ad3ad4-a569-4530-98e1-ab02f9417aa8}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3ADD1653-EB32-4cb0-BBD7-DFA0ABB5ACCA}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{3dfdf296-dbec-4fb4-81d1-6a3438bcf4de}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A0953C92-50DC-43bf-BE83-3742FED03C9C}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{A8CDFF1C-4878-43be-B5FD-F8091C1C60D0}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{d3162b92-9365-467a-956b-92703aca08af}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{f86fa3ab-70d2-4fc7-9c99-fcbf05467f3a}]

Edited by dhjohns

Figured out how to remove Desktop from the Navigation pane yet?  That one is still hanging around for me.

Never mind, the answer was to follow your instructions as listed.  Somehow I had missed one.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Removal of the items dhjohns listed specifically hides all the namespaces directly under This PC so you have only hard drives remaining there:

ExplorerNamespaces.png

FYI it doesn't hide Quick Access, as you can see in the image above.  That's another problem entirely, and one that's proven insoluble so far - hiding Quick Access by any known means breaks drag and drop in the Navigation pane.

-Noel

Okay stupid question, why hide quick access, essentially it's just a re-labeled favorites point.

I hide quick access because I never use it, and I like the look of the explorer window without it there.  Just a personal preference.  Since I never use drag and drop to the navigation pane it is not an issue for me.

It's a fair question.  It's about what I use vs. stuff I have to ignore/navigate around to get to what I use.  I'm often doing work that's at the limits of my abilities, and I'm not getting any younger.  Even the slightest little distraction can help disrupt my thought train.

Plus abstractions in Explorer, such as Libraries, often invoke technical problems that don't happen when you use real hard drives and folders.  There are still - even in Win 10 - problems with the display not updating if the data isn't instantly available to Explorer, for example.  The abstractions tend to invoke performance penalties, ergo display problems.

Most of all, it's about each person finding their own optimal user experience - something that's impossible if the UX isn't configurable.  We're just trying to discover how to configure it, since Microsoft doesn't provide a direct method.

I've been using Windows since there was a Windows, and am a dyed-in-the-wool computer geek.  I honestly only want to use hard drives and Network in Explorer.  To me it's second nature to navigate to the places I go (I find it natural to use C:\Users\NoelC\Documents, for example).  If I really, really need to revisit a folder many, many times - such as a folder containing log files while I'm debugging something in particular - I'll put a shortcut to it directly on my desktop.

To each his own.  I just wish Microsoft would realize that not everyone needs nor wants every little thing they think is the best thing since sliced bread.  But their movement is most definitely not toward making things more personal.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Removal of the items dhjohns listed specifically hides all the namespaces directly under This PC so you have only hard drives remaining there:

ExplorerNamespaces.png

FYI it doesn't hide Quick Access, as you can see in the image above.  That's another problem entirely, and one that's proven insoluble so far - hiding Quick Access by any known means breaks drag and drop in the Navigation pane.

-Noel

Okay stupid question, why hide quick access, essentially it's just a re-labeled favorites point.

Me too. Why hide Quick Access? I find this extremely useful to "quickly access" frequently used locations. In fact, before Quick Access existed, I made up my own Quick access in Windows XP (or was it Windows 98? I can't remeber)

ExplorerNamespaces.png

-Noel

Me too. Why hide Quick Access? I find this extremely useful to "quickly access" frequently used locations. In fact, before Quick Access existed, I made up my own Quick access in Windows XP (or was it Windows 98? I can't remeber)

Actually, I have my frequently used locations, OneDrive, Desktop, Downloads, etc in Libraries.  So for me, Quick Access is redundant.

It's a fair question.  It's about what I use vs. stuff I have to ignore/navigate around to get to what I use.  I'm often doing work that's at the limits of my abilities, and I'm not getting any younger.  Even the slightest little distraction can help disrupt my thought train.

Plus abstractions in Explorer, such as Libraries, often invoke technical problems that don't happen when you use real hard drives and folders.  There are still - even in Win 10 - problems with the display not updating if the data isn't instantly available to Explorer, for example.  The abstractions tend to invoke performance penalties, ergo display problems.

Most of all, it's about each person finding their own optimal user experience - something that's impossible if the UX isn't configurable.  We're just trying to discover how to configure it, since Microsoft doesn't provide a direct method.

I've been using Windows since there was a Windows, and am a dyed-in-the-wool computer geek.  I honestly only want to use hard drives and Network in Explorer.  To me it's second nature to navigate to the places I go (I find it natural to use C:\Users\NoelC\Documents, for example).  If I really, really need to revisit a folder many, many times - such as a folder containing log files while I'm debugging something in particular - I'll put a shortcut to it directly on my desktop.

To each his own.  I just wish Microsoft would realize that not everyone needs nor wants every little thing they think is the best thing since sliced bread.  But their movement is most definitely not toward making things more personal.

-Noel

Ok, I get your point. If you don't use Quick Access it should be possible to hide it. That's fair.

On a different matter, I see in the pic you uploaded that the columns (name, size, type, etc) are separeted with vertical lines and the selected item extends its selection square only in the name column instead of all columns. How did you do that?