OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

Didn't work. In Windows/rescache there was a ResCache.mni file and three folders: rc0000, rc0001 and _merged. I took ownership of the numbered folders, deleted them, rebooted the system, and the edited dll had no effect to hide the CommandBar. It was not possible to delete the _merged because no form of ownership was successful. Anyway, this is already too complicated to risk changes without back in the system. Thanks for the help of all of you, Anixx, dhjohns and especially Tihiy for the excellent ONE, which helps us greatly to optimize the traditionaly ugly and useless space of Microsoft's bars.

• 2 weeks later...

@bapt You wrong about the resource 40960, it's not the cause.

The best solution for now seems to be linking just the one interface to an old version of explorerframe.dll

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1eeb5b5a-06fb-4732-96b3-975c0194eb39}\InProcServer32]

@JFX For now, I'm just "editing" the file ExplorerFrame.dll and it's good
For resource 40960 this is what people have found (on Virtual Customs forum, if I remember correctly)
And after checking the files, that's the only difference

• 6 months later...

Hi @Tihiy. Or anyone else who can help!

I have a problem - sorry! I downloaded o-n-e when I was using windows 10. I got so fed up with windows 10 that I chucked it away. I have just managed to get my laptop back to Win7 after weeks of work. I happened to notice the link for o-n-e on the desktop and installed it - I remember that I ticked the first checkbox only, but I don't remember what it was called :( ... But then windows explorer crashed, and I can't get it back. I know I shouldn't have used it on win7....now!

I had a command prompt open, but when I tried to call up the desktop link to o-n-e the cmd window crashed. I've tried getting into another user, and that didn't work - explorer won't start in the administrator user (my user has admin privileges). I have tried bringing up task manager and selecting File/Run, but regardless of what I try to run, that crashes task manager every time.  I have no windows open now - just the desktop, with no icons.

I looked in task manager and couldn't find it in processes or in services.

If I shut down the laptop and bring it up in safe mode, will the explorer work? I am familiar with regedit - can I uninstall the program from there? (Does o-n-e work through registry settings? If so, which?)

I really don't want to go back to Last Known Good, as I've done a lot of significant changes since then.

One other idea, I could get into a cmd window by booting from the win7 recovery CD, but it doesn't allow you to do very much once you're there; but maybe renaming a file, or deleting a file, might solve my problem - but I need your advice on this please.

Please help! Sorry for my mistake.

(P.S. The reason I was trying to install it in the first place was that I really dislike what Microsfot have done with the file explorer in Win7. They had it just right in XP, and then they messed it up. ... By the way, I have just found out that there is a freeware version of Windows 3.0 File Manager available now - which runs separately from Explorer, of course, on recent Windows versions, so I shall use that in future, the next best thing to the XP version.

Can I suggest that you insert a check, to stop anyone trying to install o-n-e in versions of Windows that are incompatible? Thanks.)

Edited by egarobar
@

If you can load the OldNew configuration tool, it has an 'uninstall' button that you could use.

If the Windows desktop no longer loads at all, I reckon you could try using a boot disk to delete the OldNewExplorer folder, as this should prevent the tool from loading (although it wouldn't 'unregister' it).

Thanks very much for the suggestion, Aethelflaed - I'll try it out tomorrow. I didn't want to try anything without having some clues! :)

Thanks again - it worked!

Edited by egarobar

I use ONE mainly because it returns the Details pane to the bottom of the page. In fact it is the only option I have activated, so I was wondering if there is an Explorer extension that does just that: add an alternative bottom details pane that shows the same information that the original details pane shows. So, instead of hacking the system, you just need to install this extension with the alternative details pane and show the original preview pane at the same time.

Anybody knows of such extension? Can it be done?

Edited by artofwalls

Those two arrows can be changed by using an alternative msstyle (which is only possible if you patch a few dlls or use a tool by BigMuscle).

Of course OldNewExplorer itself can also replace the two arrows, but it loads the bitmaps from inside the OldNewExplorer dll.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, PsychedelicShaman said:

Hello, there is a bug with OldNewExplorer on Windows 10 x64 1809:

9y5N04v.png

As you can see, the "Manu Bar" is disabled, yet it's still there. Is there any way to fix this? I don't like Menu Bar. :(

How did you do to have this "style" of context menu (immersive menu disabled) with the 1809 (as with the 1803) ?
With the registry key, it does not work anymore

Thanks so much