OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

1 hour ago, vidumec said:

i already tried every method listed in there. It doesnt work. And it makes sense because there is no such thing as menu bar in explorer on windows 10

Well in your post

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-118/?do=findComment&comment=1128597

you said you could not disable the menu bar.  Now you say there is no such thing as a menu bar.  How can you not disable something that does not exist.  But is does really exist, because I can enable or disable it on my system.

8 hours ago, vidumec said:

win 10 x64 enterprise: i cant disable the menu bar ( "File, Edit, View, Tools, Help" ) after replacing ribbon with command bar. There is an option in layout menu and in folder options to show or hide it but it does nothing. On win 8.1 i used to temporarily show it when needed by pressing "Alt", now it always stays on and i dont like it. Any solution?

In the File Explorer command bar go to Organize > Layout > Menu Bar and uncheck Menu bar.

If it's still not being disabled go to Organize > Change Folder & Search Options > View tab > Always Show Menus make sure it's not checked.

Edited by MrGRiM

7 hours ago, dhjohns said:

Well in your post

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-118/?do=findComment&comment=1128597

you said you could not disable the menu bar.  Now you say there is no such thing as a menu bar.  How can you not disable something that does not exist.  But is does really exist, because I can enable or disable it on my system.

wow was my post really that confusing? I mean that windows 10 file explorer doesnt have a menu bar, never had. It has a ribbon instead. So tweaks to system registry or policies to disable a menu bar that only shows up because of a patched explorer.exe don't really make much sense to me. Those values didnt even exists in my registry. They would affect the win7 file explorer that picks its settings from win7 registry, i doubt ONE uses the same registry settings as win7.

4 hours ago, MrGRiM said:

In the File Explorer command bar go to Organize > Layout > Menu Bar and uncheck Menu bar.

If it's still not being disabled go to Organize > Change Folder & Search Options > View tab > Always Show Menus make sure it's not checked.

59 minutes ago, 2635599 said:

dhjohns right you CAN'T disable/hide something that doesn't exist. now on the command bar(or does this not exist either)click organize, layout, and check or uncheck MENU BAR.

i already said that i tried the layout menu and folder options.

10 minutes ago, vidumec said:

wow was my post really that confusing? I mean that windows 10 file explorer doesnt have a menu bar, never had. It has a ribbon instead. So tweaks to system registry or policies to disable a menu bar that only shows up because of a patched explorer.exe don't really make much sense to me. Those values didnt even exists in my registry. They would affect the win7 file explorer that picks its settings from win7 registry, i doubt ONE uses the same registry settings as win7.

i already said that i tried the layout menu and folder options.

Well that's the way it works for every one else so you must have done something for it to be this way, it's not a problem with OldNewExplorer, it's a problem with your OS.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered the problems I've been having for 4 months were caused by OldNewExplorer.

I had the latest version installed on Windows 10 Pro x64.

• All 64-bit variants of Firefox freeze forever after a few minutes even if I don't use them
  • Task Manager freezes immediately on launch
  • Explorer was incredibly unstable and crashed every few minutes

Uninstalled and all my problems have gone.

2 hours ago, someuser70 said:

I just discovered the problems I've been having for 4 months were caused by OldNewExplorer.

I had the latest version installed on Windows 10 Pro x64.

• All 64-bit variants of Firefox freeze forever after a few minutes even if I don't use them
  • Task Manager freezes immediately on launch
  • Explorer was incredibly unstable and crashed every few minutes

Uninstalled and all my problems have gone.

Windows 10 Pro x64 here too, but never had such problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. , I don't know if this is the best place to report this. I can confirm, based on a few of my computers, and what other people have said online, that the recent Windows 10 anniversary update breaks the 'Show details pane on the bottom'. Has anyone on the anniversary update gotten it to work somehow?

5 minutes ago, IIARROWS said:

It works on both a Surface Pro 4 and a desktop...

By "recent", I think you count the one I installed 2 days ago.

No, I'm talking about the Anniversary update, it happened around the beginning of August, but not all PCs got it right away. You can tell if you have it if the right-click menu on your task bar has a 'Settings' entry with a gear icon at the very bottom instead of 'Properties'.

EDIT: Actually on one of my computers the update didn't break the details pane, however when I reinstalled windows 10 from scratch it won't work.

Edited by pavichokche

It always worked... have you the latest version?

Anyway, if I told you I got an update this week, on mid-September, it's pretty obvious I have the big update released more then one month ago...

Edited by IIARROWS

31 minutes ago, IIARROWS said:

It always worked... have you the latest version?

Anyway, if I told you I got an update this week, on mid-September, it's pretty obvious I have the big update released more then one month ago...

I understand that it always worked for you, and it did use to work for me after I definitely got the Anniversary update, but for the record the fact that you've gotten updates since then doesn't mean you've gotten the Anniversary update. Only one of my 4 computers has gotten the update, and most of them have received random updates since then.

Anyway, at first I was working off of 1.1.8.0 and it wasn't working, then I downloaded 1.1.8.2. I feel like it's not uninstalling properly, however. Is there a way to completely make sure that it's uninstalled? Because even after I clicked the 'Uninstall' button, I wasn't able to delete one of the dll files, as it was apparently still being used.

EDIT: I got it to work on the newest version. Had to uninstall, reboot, remove all remnants from registry, delete all old files, reboot, install newest version. Needless to say, I'm very glad

Edited by pavichokche

• 2 weeks later...
On 18-9-2016 at 6:42 PM, pavichokche said:

I understand that it always worked for you, and it did use to work for me after I definitely got the Anniversary update, but for the record the fact that you've gotten updates since then doesn't mean you've gotten the Anniversary update. Only one of my 4 computers has gotten the update, and most of them have received random updates since then.

Anyway, at first I was working off of 1.1.8.0 and it wasn't working, then I downloaded 1.1.8.2. I feel like it's not uninstalling properly, however. Is there a way to completely make sure that it's uninstalled? Because even after I clicked the 'Uninstall' button, I wasn't able to delete one of the dll files, as it was apparently still being used.

EDIT: I got it to work on the newest version. Had to uninstall, reboot, remove all remnants from registry, delete all old files, reboot, install newest version. Needless to say, I'm very glad

I'm running into the same issue as you. Could you please explain what files i have to remove from registry and where to look for them?

On 1-10-2016 at 3:17 PM, Moos said:

I'm running into the same issue as you. Could you please explain what files i have to remove from registry and where to look for them?

Same here: Windows 10 + AnniversaryUpdate, OldNewExplorer 1.1.8.2. Have uninstalled, rebooted, removed some registry items related tot OldNewExplorer, installed version 1.1.8.2, but to no avail for the part of getting the details pane below instead of on the right side :-(

Win 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.222)

As advised earlier post be sure to run latest version: http://tihiy.net/files/OldNewExplorer.rar

As previously posted:

Posters need to remember not everyone who comes to these forums are not gurus programmers or developers. It's fine that those who are, communicate as they need to with one another for more complex issues. Its not a contest for the most knowledgeable or cleverest. On the other hand people should thoroughly read forums and digest as much as possible before posting questions or problems that may have already been addressed. Doing so is asking others to do all the grunt work because they did none of their own.

In more detail:

1. Run OldnewexplorerCfg.exe  from directory you placed it in (or shortcut you made) and run uninstall.   2. Reboot   3. Delete your (OLDNEWEXPLORER directory or whatever you named it).   4. Reboot.  5. You could search for elements in regedit Computer-Edit-Find " oldnewexplorer" or "Tihiy"  find next...find next etc. at this point but don't think you'll find anything.  I didn't do any editing or deleting here anyway so doesn't appear to be necessary.  6. Recreate your oldnewexplorer directory ( preferably c:\) and place the files from ver 1.1.8.  7. Run OldnewexplorerCfg.exe and install.  8. Make your settings and close...close file explorer also if open and reopen for settings to take affect. If that doesn't work for you can't help further.

Had to go through similar and other processes to get back other elements, for example win gadgets. Apparently every time win 10 does it's thing we may have to do ours. Make some notes...next time it may go easier.

Regeditfind.jpg

Edited by Alanrh