OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

Hi, does anyone know how to automate the integration of this useful tweak? Command line arguments perhaps or maybe a way to manually register the DLL's?

Also, where does it store the settings for each user?

To help prevent irreversible damage, this program is designed to be non-invasive. This program is solely reliant upon itself in terms of functionality hence why you can't rename, move nor delete the file while in use.. A similar effect can be done using other means but, this program isn't designed to be deployed in such a fashion. Especially with Windows 10, M$ has interwoven so many aspects of OS to the point where only soft changes are safe. If you were to get any more abrasive than that, you can potentially brick your OS..

That being said, by automated integration, do you mean like a custom .wim file? If so, that would be very counterproductive for the aforementioned reasons. You see, any soft (non-permanent) or hard (permanent) change, mod or customization can lead to 1 of 2 scenarios: 1) a soft change even if in a custom .wim file can be undone by any update or patch by M$. 2) You get too deep in the coding of Windows and run the risk of permanently damaging dependent components of the OS.

What I mean is command line.  I would like to be able to deploy is with command line arguments.  You know, in a command window.  As in a bat file.  How difficult is this to understand?

I don't know of any command line tools that will engage the necessary files and functions to achieve the same output as ONE.

I am looking for command line tools that will configure ONE, NOT  to replace it.

Ah. Well, the dev hasn't said there are any so, I'm going to assume there aren't any. But, it looks like we'll have to wait until he tells us.

Hi, does anyone know how to automate the integration of this useful tweak? Command line arguments perhaps or maybe a way to manually register the DLL's?

To help prevent irreversible damage, this program is designed to be non-invasive. This program is solely reliant upon itself in terms of functionality hence why you can't rename, move nor delete the file while in use.. A similar effect can be done using other means but, this program isn't designed to be deployed in such a fashion. Especially with Windows 10, M$ has interwoven so many aspects of OS to the point where only soft changes are safe. If you were to get any more abrasive than that, you can potentially brick your OS..

That being said, by automated integration, do you mean like a custom .wim file? If so, that would be very counterproductive for the aforementioned reasons. You see, any soft (non-permanent) or hard (permanent) change, mod or customization can lead to 1 of 2 scenarios: 1) a soft change even if in a custom .wim file can be undone by any update or patch by M$. 2) You get too deep in the coding of Windows and run the risk of permanently damaging dependent components of the OS.

What I mean is command line.  I would like to be able to deploy is with command line arguments.  You know, in a command window.  As in a bat file.  How difficult is this to understand?

You have two accounts? Haha. I don't know of any command line tools that will engage the necessary files and functions to achieve the same output as ONE.. There is this registry http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6015-pc-folders-add-remove-windows-10-a.html trick that I use in conjunction with ONE on Windows 10 as ONE seems to have trouble keeping the "This PC" folders out of explorer. A few months ago I've scoured the net looking for the same you're looking for but, haven't found anything. ONE & the link I've posted are the only solutions I can find..

I am a different person, I do not know dhjons. But I believe our interests are very similar.

Anyway, I have finally found a way (no thanks to you). All that you need to do is register those DLL's which can be done using RegSvr32.exe

To register DLL:

RegSvr32.exe "PathToDLL\OldNewExplorer64.dll"

To unregister DLL:
RegSvr32.exe /U "PathToDLL\OldNewExplorer64.dll"

I recommend you register both the 64 and 32-bit dll's (or just the 32-bit one if you're running 32-bit OS) and place them in somewhere like %SystemRoot%\System32 and then register them.

Now the only thing is to find out is where OldNewExplorer is storing those settings per user.
Edited by Pk King X11

You have two accounts? Haha. I don't know of any command line tools that will engage the necessary files and functions to achieve the same output as ONE.. There is this registry http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6015-pc-folders-add-remove-windows-10-a.html trick that I use in conjunction with ONE on Windows 10 as ONE seems to have trouble keeping the "This PC" folders out of explorer. A few months ago I've scoured the net looking for the same you're looking for but, haven't found anything. ONE & the link I've posted are the only solutions I can find..

I am a different person, I do not know dhjons. But I believe our interests are very similar.

Anyway, I have finally found a way (no thanks to you). All that you need to do is register those DLL's which can be done using RegSvr32.exe

To register DLL:

RegSvr32.exe "PathToDLL\OldNewExplorer64.dll"

To unregister DLL:
RegSvr32.exe /U "PathToDLL\OldNewExplorer64.dll"

I recommend you register both the 64 and 32-bit dll's (or just the 32-bit one if you're running 32-bit OS) and place them in somewhere like %SystemRoot%\System32 and then register them.

Now the only thing is to find out is where OldNewExplorer is storing those settings per user.

Found it! It stores the settings in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tihiy\OldNewExplorer

One could use the UI to customize the settings then export the key.

To use in custom WIM, simply mount the DEFAULT user key and make changes to it. Any new user will inherit those settings.

Edited by Pk King X11

This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you so much.  I can now export my registry settings, incorporate it into my main regedit file. Put the command to register dlls in my batch file, and one more manual customization is now automated.  Thank you!

Hi first post. Used this on Windows 8.1 for the brief time I had it and have been using it with Windows 10, it's brilliant and easy to install.

My only gripe is it often just stops working. I have the details pane on the bottom and set it up to show the thumbnail preview as per Windows 7, but often i'll find the back buttons disappear in the top left corner and the details pane turns off. In order to correct it I have to restart explorer via the Task Manager.

This happened to me all through 8.1 and 10 so far and i'm not sure why. I have installed it in conjunction with Classic Explorer, is that causing a conflict? I tend to keep at least three of my HDD's open moving data around, and after half hour or so it'll just bug out and force me to restart to get the details pane back.

There's an option in ONE to use default buttons layout. I used alternate for a while (buttons with round style) then seems to stopped work (missing buttons).

With default ones (only arrow) are correctly displayed (on 10 x64).

I use it with classic shell too, and with an hack for remove folder band without problems. Probably you should try to remove and re-install classic shell and/or oldnewexplorer (expecially if update 8.1 to 10, it'd broken something-somewhere)

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. I updated from Win7 to Win10 and then installed ONE with the details pane at the bottom, but I often see it disappear or go back the to right. I've looked in the event viewer and it seems that every time the processus explorer.exe crashed ans restarted itself without loading ONE. Here is the error :

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version : 10.0.10240.16431, time stamp: 0x55c9bd76
Faulting module name: OldNewExplorer64.dll, version : 1.1.7.0 time stamp: 0x55c784f3
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004175
Faulting process id: 0x1648
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0edfe7b42f9a0
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\Old Explorer Win7\OldNewExplorer64.dll
Report Id: 888635a6-10ea-4d49-88b2-e5c4655053b5

I have tried to uninstall ONE and restart Windows but the error is still present.

Thank you. Version 1.1.7.1 http://tihiy.net/files/OldNewExplorer.rar should not crash this way.

I'm having the same problem as hgg and many others. Even after updating to ONE v1.1.7.1 I'm still having the details pane randomly disappear from the bottom of the explorer window about once a day. When I turn the details pane back on it appears on the right side. If I close explorer, uninstall and reinstall ONE, then restart explorer it works again, but it's a huge pain to do on a daily basis. I'm running Windows 10 x64, upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64. Any ideas?

Edited by Metaphorce

I'm having the same problem as hgg and many others. Even after updating to ONE v1.1.7.1 I'm still having the details pane randomly disappear from the bottom of the explorer window about once a day. When I turn the details pane back on it appears on the right side. If I close explorer, uninstall and reinstall ONE, then restart explorer it works again, but it's a huge pain to do on a daily basis. I'm running Windows 10 x64, upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64. Any ideas?

Probably a lot of people is facing this, I believe that this is related to patching memory instead of replacing system files. I was also facing problems when I was using UxStyle which used memory patching in order to add ability to use custom visual styles.

Thank you. Version 1.1.7.1 http://tihiy.net/files/OldNewExplorer.rar should not crash this way.

TIHIY,

I also (and so many others) have been having the same issue where even after updating to ONE v1.1.7.1 the details pane randomly disappears from the bottom of the explorer window at least once a day.  I'm still on Windows 8.1-64 bit, but this ONE annoying issue has been present for me since I first started using this otherwise awesome utility.  I even wrote a 'Restart Explorer' script in AutoHotkey as a workaround.

Is there any way you could spend some time on squashing this BUG?  (I'd be willing to make an extra donation to help compensate you for your valuable time [and probably others would too])

The only added utility I'm using in addition to ONE is AeroGlass for Windows 8 (no UxStyle or any other theme tweaker).

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Edited by JTB3

I've noticed ONE sometimes isn't applied to "open" dialogs, and I just figured out how to reliably reproduce:

• Enable "Hide Up (go to parent folder) button"
  • Run Microsoft Paint
  • Hit Ctrl+O to bring up the open dialog, Up button is shown
  • Close open dialog
  • Hit Ctrl+O again, Up button is gone as expected

Each time Paint is launched, ONE isn't applied to the very first open dialog, and the same thing occurs in many other programs. Can we get a fix?

Does anyone know how to make Explorer to display the icons in folders with size 32px but having the labels BELOW the icons, like on the desktop?

Can this functionality be added to Old New Explorer or maybe it is possible to do so with AHK?

I've noticed ONE sometimes isn't applied to "open" dialogs, and I just figured out how to reliably reproduce:

• Enable "Hide Up (go to parent folder) button"
  • Run Microsoft Paint
  • Hit Ctrl+O to bring up the open dialog, Up button is shown
  • Close open dialog
  • Hit Ctrl+O again, Up button is gone as expected

Each time Paint is launched, ONE isn't applied to the very first open dialog, and the same thing occurs in many other programs. Can we get a fix?

I‘ve already reported this problem long time ago but it seems that it‘s related to memory patching, though this was never confirmed by the author.

It's not the latest version, it's always been like this.

And it cannot be resolved because ONE doesn't patch system files and he wants to keep it that way.

TIHIY,

I also (and so many others) have been having the same issue where even after updating to ONE v1.1.7.1 the details pane randomly disappears from the bottom of the explorer window at least once a day.  I'm still on Windows 8.1-64 bit, but this ONE annoying issue has been present for me since I first started using this otherwise awesome utility.  I even wrote a 'Restart Explorer' script in AutoHotkey as a workaround.

Is there any way you could spend some time on squashing this BUG?  (I'd be willing to make an extra donation to help compensate you for your valuable time [and probably others would too])

The only added utility I'm using in addition to ONE is AeroGlass for Windows 8 (no UxStyle or any other theme tweaker).

It would be great if TIHIY could respond directly to this.  I acknowledged that that this issue has been persistent.
How much work would it take to rewrite/correct the disappearing details pane issue, Tihiy?  If we could crowdfund some development resources for you, would you be willing to do it?