OldNewExplorer 1.1.9

Tihiy

Just one more thought on the subject...  This discussion is about hiding not just Quick Access but a whole host of abstract namespaces.  So many, out of the box, that the data I want to get to almost certainly requires scrolling.

You'll notice in my screen grab above that with drive C: expanded on my test system I can see all of the subfolders right off.  That's my test system.  My real systems have more drives and more folders.  Minimizing the stuff I don't need gets to be even more important.

When just one of something is easily ignored, but a whole lot of somethings require extra work, then even just one of something is one more than is wanted.

-Noel

On a different matter, I see in the pic you uploaded that the columns (name, size, type, etc) are separeted with vertical lines and the selected item extends its selection square only in the name column instead of all columns. How did you do that?

The text is darker and the vertical spacing is also closer than it is normally.

That's a combo of tweaks, the first being brought about by a small freeware program called Folder Options X by T800 productions, originally written for an older system but still quite workable for Windows 10.  Basically it causes the custom control that manages details view in Explorer to be replaced by the old standard tree control, which brings back a bit of additional usability.  And it's not only about the look - I find dragging and dropping more deterministic with that tweak.

The items in the Navigation pane are also closer together vertically, courtesy the "Tree Item Spacing" option in Classic Shell.  A setting of -2 there makes it match the tree control spacing that Folder Options X invokes in the files pane.

-Noel

Windows10 10240

OldNewExplorer v1.1.5

Spotify does not work, if "Shell Extension" is installed.

u see just the spinner spinning..

Uninstall "shell extension" Spotify works again.

will there be an update ?

and is it possible to post the version number in 1st post ?

Edited by DeepBlue2000

OldNewExplorer is not working correctly in my computer. I have set the option to show details panel at the bottom (the main reason I downloaded OldNewExplorer) and when I start Windows it works, until it fails and the details panel is again at one side. It can happen when I open a new explorer window or just when I move to another location in the same explorer window as in the following video:

https://youtu.be/Tg21tNXfBO4

Closing all explorer windows, unticking the option in OldNewExplorer settings, closing the settings, opening again, Ticking again the option, closing the settings and finally opening a new explorer window doesn't fix the fail. Restarting Explorer.exe in the task manager does fix it. Until it fails again, of course.

Apart from OldNewExplorer I am also using these other hacks:

- ClassicShell / Classic Explorer 4.2.1

- Folder Options X 1.6.0.0

- AutoHotkey 1.1.22.02 (but only with redefinitions for Keyboard and mouse clicks)

- WizMouse 1.7.0.3

- CBX Shell 4.6.2.0

- Sage Thumbs 2.0.0.22

I think that's all I have regarding to changes in the Windows Interface.

Oh, yes, and I have also tweaked in the Windows registry the distance between the icons of the desktop but I don't think this would affect OldNewExplorer.

BTW, Folder Options X causes the cursor keys cease to work correctly for displacement in thumbnail views. when you are in the rightmost image in a row and press cursor right, instead of moving to the leftmost image of the next row, it does nothing, just as in Windows XP.

Interesting.  Can't say I do that, so I haven't noticed it.

But it's not surprising.  It resurrects the old control, built in no doubt since even before the days of XP.

-Noel

If you want to remove quick access, but still have the ability to drag and drop to navigation pane, first make sure your explorer window opens to This PC, and not Quick Access.  

Then navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder in Registry Editor.  You will need to take ownership if you have not already done so.  

You can download a nifty little program to do that for you here http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.210  

Then you change the DWORD value Attributes to 0.  Restart your computer.

In place of Quick Access there will be a small blue star, but that is all.  

Nice tip, but that's still one small blue star too many.  :(

-Noel

I thought so also, but for some people just having a blue star may be ok.  

But, is this not the same as having the Quick Access collapsed or unpopulated? It is still occupying the same space but without any functionality.

Nice tip, but that's still one small blue star too many.  :(

-Noel

I thought so also, but for some people just having a blue star may be ok.  

But, is this not the same as having the Quick Access collapsed or unpopulated? It is still occupying the same space but without any functionality.

But it does not say "Quick Access!" It just has a blue star, LOL!

The point is to remove the distraction and useless waste of space.

But it's a losing battle.  Microsoft keeps putting back what we disable with every update, it seems.

-Noel