Saying Goodbye to Windows XP x64 Soon (Sniff!)

I mentioned on the Vista forum that soon, I'll be ready "upgrade" to Vista x64 Ultimate in January. For some reason, the bios and SCSI subsystem on my HP XW8200 Workstation doesn't fully support Windows 7, so I'll move to Vista x64 instead (I ran a test installation back last year for a couple weeks and Vista ran REALLY well on my system).

So that means I am on my last two months of Windows XP x64 Edition. As I mentioned in the other post, it's almost bittersweet, since I'm looking forward to using something more updated and supported, but my XP x64 installation runs so smoothly. I guess my concerns are two-fold. One is that support for current software will be increasingly dropped week by week, and month by month. Gradually, I won't be able to browse a modern web, and that concerns me.

Also, I am concerned about the lack of support when it comes to Windows Updates after April. Now I know there are convoluted workarounds to allowing Windows Server 2003 updates to install on Windows XP x64 Edition, but even then; that's only fixes me until July 2015. So I figure I may as well jump to Vista now and enjoy three years of having a supported OS. That should last the life of the machine.

I would love to stay on XP x64. I loved using three specific operating systems in my computing life: OS/2 Warp v3.0, Windows 2000 Professional and now Windows XP x64 Edition. They have been absolutely trouble free (acutally OS/2 had that single input queue freeze up issue but oh well...lol). But I wish there was a direct replacement for XP. I wish there was a newer version of Microsoft Windows that had a low memory footprint, and worked well with a wide variety of apps. XP was also easier to streamline thanks to nLite...lol.

Oh well, thanks for the memories Windows XP.

• 2 months later...

Actaully, it's not so bad on "the other side". Once I've gotten Windows Vista "tweaked", the performance is definintely up there with what I had with Windows XP x64 Edition. For now, I'm sticking it out with IE 9 and Kingsoft Office. I'm enjoying the user experience.

Actaully, it's not so bad on "the other side". Once I've gotten Windows Vista "tweaked", the performance is definintely up there with what I had with Windows XP x64 Edition. For now, I'm sticking it out with IE 9 and Kingsoft Office. I'm enjoying the user experience.

Why don't you use windows server 2008 the first one is based of of vista and is supported till 2020. (though I don't blame you for choosing vista I'm a vista user myself)

Yes, with some "hard core" tweaks Vista can become low on resources but after all not lower than XP. ;) The choice is yours! If you aks me I will stay with XP. Everytime when I install it the memory usage is SO LOW: 120 MB + 80~100 MB from new drivers = ~200 MB. This is too good to be true. And if you ask me for Vista - it's support is dropping even faster than the support for XP. In my story for Vista (where I tested it) I mentioned that and the reason for it is the initial reputation of Vista (maybe).

• 1 year later...