UURollup 2013-11-15 shell32.dll issue

ironman14

Hello,

I have recently created a Windows 2000 virtual machine and after getting SP4 and UR1, I downloaded Update Rollup 2 and the latest UURollup, 2013-11-15. I installed UR2 well, and extracted the new UUrollup 7z file, but when I went to update, and started the app, it said something like:

"The application extension shell32.dll is in use by another program.

Close all programs and try again."

No programs were open, and I had 2 options, retry and cancel. The same message popped up if I hit retry, and if I hit cancel, the installer stayed present, but for like 2 seconds. Then the program said it couldn't install.

This is a small issue which has been present since a very long time. Basically, shell32.dll needs to be replaced before system is restarted. The problem is that this file is responsible for displaying Windows Explorer windows. The installer can't replace the file if there are any of them open.

Check this sample video:

http://youtu.be/eqq8qqZTHYM

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks. I did what you said and it installed perfectly. Now, I can use the UURollup packages, and Blackwingcat's Chrome tool to install many XP+ programs, like Firefox, Chrome, VLC, Libreoffice and more. (latest versions)

After installing UURollup and rebooting my Virtual Machine, I downloaded the file required for blackwingcat's Chrome installer (KB915985v2) and the installer worked. Then, I had to reboot my VM, and once I get to the windows 2000 starting up screen (says powered by extended kernel) and the startup bar (with the now black squares) fills up, my virtual machine crashes. It does say that some audio devices were not found, but even when I disable audio, the VM will still crash. Booting up/restarting the host PC does nothing. By the way I am using Oracle VM Virtualbox as my virtualizer.

It might be related to the XP audio files included in the update pack. I know I have a problem of sound being totally disabled if I install any sound devices AFTER installing the unofficial update rollup pack.

Hmm, I can't really help you there since I use Microsoft Virtual PC for my virtual needs. So this pops up even before the VM OS even begins to boot? Does it happens via BIOS emulation or as you open up the VMware software itself before even doing anything?

Before the virtual OS boots up, it gives a message about some of the audio devices not being found (although I think the speakers work fine). But I don't really care about that.The crashing happens during the BIOS emulation, right before the virtual Windows 2000 should present the login screen.

Hmm, I also use Virtualbox and have never experienced any audio related problems...

To find out which component is responsible for the issue the best method would probably be to start everything from scratch, and check the system's behaviour after installing each of them separately.

I reinstalled Windows 2000, installed SP4, Update Rollup 1 and then I tried installing UURollup (latest daily release). It installed well. As well, I can reboot the VM and it is still working. The error must be related to Blackwingcat's chrome installer file (KB915985v2). Have you ever used chrome in a win2k virtual machine?

The error must be related to Blackwingcat's chrome installer file (KB915985v2). Have you ever used chrome in a win2k virtual machine?

Don't install that update (KB915985v2). A much newer version of ntdll.dll is already included in UURollup. If you install KB915985v2 then probably ntdll.dll gets replaced with the older version and that's why the system can't boot. You'll be able to use the Chrome installer anyway.

I personally prefer to just use PortableApps to install such programs. There's way less hassle and no need to manually install each of them.

By the way, I'd recommend to install also USP5.1 (you may skip this one) and UR2 because at the moment there's a huge gap between SP4 (released in 2003), UR1 (released in 2005) and UURollup (2013).

Edited by tomasz86