Which filenames are drivers? Where should I put them?

McGyver

I downloaded from HP an .exe file hp_53_enu.exe which the hp website says will install drivers for my HP Photosmart 7960 printer. The self extracting/install wizard doesn't work. I'm sure the drivers I need are in there, so I downloaded uniextract161.exe and used it to extract the files The extraction process placed 68 files and 7 folders into a new folder named hp_72-enu-net.

11 of those files are .dll files, 16 are .dat files, 14 are .cat files, 15 are .inf files, 4 are .sys files and 2 are .exe files. In one of the new sub-sub-folders named hp_72-enu-net\Drivers\winxp (my operating system), I found a file named hppaufd0.sys.

Which of those files are the drivers? Where should I put them?

I found a folder named c:\windows\program files\hp photosmart\data\ which contains one file named hphsav12

I also found a folder named c:\hp\drivers\printers\deskjet\ which contains some .pnf files. (Deskjet is a printer I no longer have, not the photosmart 7960 that I am trying to install.) Should I make a new folder named c:\hp\drivers\printers\photosmart and put the drivers in there?

Thanks.

There's nothing at all wrong with the installer, the problem is that you have a corrupted download.

It's an all in one installer, the contents are for more than one printer, and include tools and utilities too so trying to work out which are yours from a bad download is pointless.

Try downloading it again by clicking here!