Boot Hang after installing UURollup UURollup-v11

Sometime after recently upgrading a Toshiba P4 Laptop from UURollup-v11-w20130323 stable to UURollup-v11-d20130902, I began to notice excessively long bootup times, approximately 3-5 times longer than average.

At the time, I was preoccupied with other system configurations and held off on any further troubleshooting. Today, during a visit to safe mode, I watched the drivers load, noticing the system began to hang immediately after agp440.sys, attempting to load two files which looked nothing like drivers.....shown below:

C:\WINNT\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb

C:\WINNT\System32\acpitabl.dat

A quick search confirmed that neither of these two files existed on my system partition. Going a step further, I ran searches for all system files, containing these names, including registry without a single hit. WTF! :blink:

A broader search in all partitions, on both the Laptop and Desktop, returned hits for only drvmain.sdb, located in XP system partitions under \WINDOWS\AppPatch\, \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ and various XP installation sources.

Online sources indicated this problem is usually associated with XP or Server 2003 compatibility files and tables used by the OS during driver loading. My identical error is best described in the following Server blog:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/08/19/system-hangs-at-splash-screen-or-boot-freezes-on-acpitabl-dat.aspx

Is this a code issue, a file import failure, or just another Microsoft moment?

UberG

Hi.

I think that it is the trouble shooting of Windows Vista and later OS .

Online sources indicated this problem is usually associated with XP or Server 2003 compatibility files and tables used by the OS during driver loading. My identical error is best described in the following Server blog:

Thanks for the reply BlackWingCat.

It's not a huge issue but one that's got me really puzzled. I detest Vista and haven't run Linux, XP, or DOS on this laptop (different partitions and bootloaders) for many months, but something has started to call this XP function and I certainly can't find it.

The error was believed to be the cause of reboot problems, a possible memory resident issue in VMware by a Ramboot XP forum user. It was subsequently answered by jaclaz (could this be the same jaclaz here at msfn.org?), providing some thoughtful solutions http://reboot.pro/topic/2231-ramboot-xp-reboot-on-acpitabldat/ ,including a link to issues with hard lockups following XP SP2 upgrades (Intel Prescott series, microcode issues, update.sys, etc) http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

Today, I ran a boot log and reviewed the driver loading but there was no record of the two "ghost files". Oddly they appear at the bottom of my screen on every boot into Safe Mode. They are also clearly related to increased boot delays in this specific version of UURollup v11 (other v11 was fine).

You're doing some very excellent work and I want to see it continue, and to succeed. I've never had a single BSOD, lockup, or uninstall issue and my only regrets have been a long history of chronic Firefox problems. After some registry modifications I now have W2K running blistering fast which includes exceptional page loading and a big smile that is hard to erase.

UberG