Errors On Stock Build

neumannu47

Yesterday, I made an ISO with the selections I thought would be best for my installations. When Windows starts, it immediately reboots (even though automatically reboot on error was disabled.) Since I'm not very familiar with nLite, I decided to make a disk with NO changes - totally stock - not removing any components. That didn't go so well, either. The updates were downloaded with Windows Updates Downloader. One update was reported as not being compatible. Windows Media Player reported as not be installable (I'm familiar with that issue.) .NET 3.5 did a funny install/rollback thing during the integration.

Is there a better site to download updates? Windows Updates Downloader puts the files in folders named "MS Security Products", "Non-Security Updates", "Optional Updates", "Service Packs", and "WMP 11 Updates." Am I correct that the contents off all folders except Service Packs and WMP 11 Updates should be included in the "Integrating hotfixes" page?

While I was typing this message, nLite just threw up, "[path]\wlsetup-all.exe - This is not expected type of hotfix." Where should it have been placed? I assume that's Windows Live Essentials, which I really don't want to install anyway.

If someone will kindly help me understand some of these basics, I'll take another run at building an ISO. [Edit: Question removed to avoid confusion.]

I did successfully slipstream SP3 into XP in 2009, but things are not going so well at the moment.

Edited by neumannu47

Since I'm not very familiar with nLite, I decided to make a disk with NO changes - totally stock - not removing any components. That didn't go so well, either.

Have you checked the "reference guide" in the sticky post ?

With the info you give, it's not possible to tell what you've done wrong. nLite is meant to be ran on an original Microsoft XP installation disk, reading the rest of your post, we can easily suspect you ran it on a random iso that you downloaded from "somewhere".

What's that bit about "assuming" nLite is trying to integrate Windows Live Essentials when you don't want to install anyway??? So where would nLite get it from ? We're not keen on helping people coming with fairy tales, it's just a waste of time. Also don't ask people to post an iso of XP, that will get you banned.

We would need to know exactly what CD you are starting with (what the label says on the physical media) and what you've done in nLite (attach your "Last session.ini" that is in the resulting folder).

There are alternative ways to download updates from Microsoft. this for instance: http://xdot.tk/updates.html

"Have you checked the "reference guide" in the sticky post?"

Yes, of course. Multiple times.

"With the info you give, it's not possible to tell what you've done wrong. nLite is meant to be ran on an original Microsoft XP installation disk, reading the rest of your post, we can easily suspect you ran it on a random iso that you downloaded from "somewhere"."

Your suspicion is incorrect. It is being run on the original installation disk.

"What's that bit about "assuming" nLite is trying to integrate Windows Live Essentials when you don't want to install anyway??? So where would nLite get it from?"

As I explained in my post, it got it from the folders that were created by Windows Updates Downloader.

"We're not keen on helping people coming with fairy tales, it's just a waste of time."

Fairy tales? That's a strange response.

Edited by neumannu47

If you read the reference guide fully then you would have noticed that ie8 and wmp11 DO NOT integrate properly by just adding them to the hotfixes section.

You cannot simply add everything the auto downloader downloads and call it good. That app is for updating a RUNNING installation.

windows live essentials is not a hotfix or even a fix at all either.

Also we STILL NEED your last session file.

Now please fully read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143271-nlite-reference-guide/

and this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Thanks to Ponch for the xdot.tk link. Using the tool from that site to download the updates made a LOT more sense than the Windows Updates Downloader tool I used previously. After following the same procedure I used previously but using the update store from xdot, the image built like it should. When I installed it and ran Windows Update, only two Critical Updates showed up: KB2879017 and KB890830. For some reason, KB2879017 didn't install. Now that I have a good base to work from, I should be able to figure out what I've done wrong.

I realize it's frustrating to deal with newbies, but I assure you I read both the reference guide and the FAQ before I posted. Sometimes it takes a while for things to sink in. Thanks for your patience.

Here is last session.ini, but at this point, I just need to work with nLite a little more and do some testing to get a better feel for how things work.

LAST SESSION.INI

Edited by neumannu47

Since I'm not very familiar with nLite, I decided to make a disk with NO changes - totally stock - not removing any components. That didn't go so well, either. The updates were downloaded with Windows Updates...

Sorry, I read that wrong, I thought you had done nothing at all in nLite but still got errors in it, then installed Windows, then applied the updates in Windows.

Your mistake was to think that everything could be integrated "as is".

.NET 3.5 did a funny install/rollback thing during the integration.

Was this problem solved? If it wasn't, a registry entry may have too restrictive of permissions.

It was a problem on my end. I was using an old repository of critical updates. When I used the source that Ponch recommended, everything went pretty well.

Edited by neumannu47