Cannot import/integrate a registry file

huja

Hi

I'm trying to make a custom Vista DVD and wan't to integrate a reg file to it. I use Win-Toolkit to add registry keys.
However, when Vista gets installed, not all tweaks gets applied.

So, then I tried to import the regtweak within Vista, but it did not work either. I got the following message:

"Not all data was successfully written to the registry. some keys are open by the system or other process"

It seems that it's the following key that won't get imported:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\User\PowerSchemes\381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e\4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347\A7066653-8D6C-40A8-910E-A1F54B84C7E5]
"ACSettingIndex"=dword:00000002

I'm trying change Start Menu Power Button from "sleep" to "shut down"

What's wrong? How do I integrate without getting these problems?

Thanks!

when Vista gets installed ...

"Not all data was successfully written to the registry. some keys are open by the system or other process"

thats the problem, OS is already installed and system uses those reg key(s) which are locked

with XP/serv2003 you could open registry hive and add things, then insert it back to install cd directory and shove it back to ISO

dunno if Vista/7 can do the same, try google :P

basicaly your goal is to already package modified registry hive with changes, instead applying changes after/or during install

Edited by vinifera

when Vista gets installed ...

thats the problem, OS is already installed and system uses those reg key(s) which are locked

with XP/serv2003 you could open registry hive and add things, then insert it back to install cd directory and shove it back to ISO

dunno if Vista/7 can do the same, try google :P

basicaly your goal is to already package modified registry hive with changes, instead applying changes after/or during install

I see, well I have searched and searched and have not found anything useful yet. I'll guess I have to search even deeper :P.

What about converting the reg file to cab (if it's possible)? Maybe it can get around the lock?

I've fixed it :).

Thank you for your replies.

This is the correct regkey:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\a7066653-8d6c-40a8-910e-a1f54b84c7e5]
"ACSettingIndex"=dword:00000002

@Huja, I know you have Solved your issue now with the correct key, but for anyone else having write issues just thought I would add the below script that fixed my Locked Protected Key problems when trying to update my metro default .mp3 app from Music to VLC by giving full Permissions and Ownership..DP :yes:

' FIX the 8.1 "Cannot import-Error when accessing the registry"' Credits:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237607' ~DosProbie - 11.14.13' TakeOwn_RegKey.vbs '### RUN .VBS AS ADMINISTRATOR..'  If WScript.Arguments.length =0 Then  Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")  objShell.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", Chr(34) & _  WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " uac", "", "runas", 1  Else'### VARIABLES AND OBJECTS..'set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")strFileName = oFSO.GetTempNameset oFile = oFSO.CreateTextFile(strFileName)'### SET "READ ONLY" TO "FULL CONTROL" PERMISSIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING USER GROUPS SPECIFIED: [1 5 7 11 17]' 1=Administrators, 5=Creator/Owner, 7=World/(Everyone), 11=Power Users, 17=System Full Control''Specified Locked Current User Key To Write to..oFile.WriteLine "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3\UserChoice [1 5 7 11 17]"oFile.WriteLine "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming\OpenWith\FileExts\.mp3\UserChoice [1 5 7 11 17]"oFile.Closeset oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")oShell.Run "regini " & strFileName, 8, true'### DELETE TEMP FILE THEN EXIT..'oFSO.DeleteFile strFileNameSet objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")End If
Edited by DosProbie