Aero Glass ThemeAtlas

Windows 8? Not even 8.1?

Yup, I use 8.1MCE on my TV/HTPC  and its all but identical that I can see to 8.0. If we disregard a start icon, and lockscreen wallpaper. With updates disabled and GWX removed from the system, it will continue to be a fine media centre for years to come.

The reason 8.0 is running on the laptop is because I managed to convince everything to work. SDreader/Realtek sound/WebCam

When I tried to update it to 8.1, it removed all user installed programs and drivers.  Possibly I could dig around in my archives to find which drivers it lost. But then also install everything else again. Screw that.

Annoyed, I retrieved a system backup from the external hdd and reloaded 8.0

Its still supported by M$, is immune for now from GWX... and with classic shell it bypasses the lockscreen and provides an start icon.

I see no further gain from any newer version of Windows at this time. Windows 10 broke the audio worst, and that was a deal breaker.

8.1 was just mind games from marketing thinking they could leverage the trust (or fond memories) found in Windows 3.1 to undo some damage 8.0 caused. Whats' in a number eh folks?!

8.0 even manages to run the latest metro version of the 'Microsoft Solitare Collection'.  Keeping the missus is happy too. :) Bonus!

Windows 10 will infect only one computer left in this housefold... but it doesn't do any serious work and I installed that firewall NoelC has been playing with.

This whole experience has taught me only to install an operating system that will do what I want, and stop undoing my good work!

But to stay on topic... I think Noel should forward his stock appearance RP style default theme to BM for inclusion in the automated glass installer.  It is the most polished compared to the offering on BMs site.

Never to be an insider again.

-sean

I was looking at that result and I was thinking maybe the caption button tops could be cut down 1 pixel and not interfere with that light border. I haven't the time tonight but I'll look at it tomorrow. Would you think that would be a visual improvement? I'm not using that theme atlas on any system myself, so it's hard to judge. If there's interest, I'll try making up a copy tomorrow with shorter caption buttons.

-Noel

I was looking at that result and I was thinking maybe the caption button tops could be cut down 1 pixel and not interfere with that light border. I haven't the time tonight but I'll look at it tomorrow. Would you think that would be a visual improvement?

It sounds promising, NoelC! This atlas is beatufiul already but this trick can make it even better!

Would it be too cocky to ask you to take a look at atlas that i use with my win10 system, in order to make it look more flat-like(if it's possible of course)?

Edited by klasik

While it doesn't look too distracting, you idea sounds good, the captions could be tweaked down a touch.

I tried cutting a single row of pixels off the top of each of the caption button fills. I'm out of time and can't test it myself just now, though... See how this works for you...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win8/Win8RTM_With_CP_Borders3.png

-Noel

Would it be too cocky to ask you to take a look at atlas that i use with my win10 system, in order to make it look more flat-like(if it's possible of course)?

Ask away. I can't promise to be able to get to it soon, but I'll try to remember. I'm SUPER busy right now and if I end up distracted for too long I might forget to come back here - I apologize in advance if that happens.

And you never know, someone else might find the time to do it.

-Noel

I've made some tweaks to my Atlas theme and since everything seems to look and function like I want, I thought why not to share it so you can try it out if you like!

Layout file is also attached in the zip, because I made some modifications to the button margins and messed with the image positions a bit. :P

http://hrtlan.com/theme_preview.jpg

EDIT:

I'm glad you people like it, so many downloads! :)

Uploaded another update to make the button symbols appear more shaded and tweaked all the button symbols once for all. So nothing big really, but I felt that I had to adjust those symbols because they look better this way. Maybe I'll tweak the windows shadows in the future...

Kankipappa, great theme, thanks!!

Can you make it look more flat? Is it achievable by editing layout file that come with the theme(in this case can you give some hints about parameters in this file that need to be changed)?

What do you mean by flat exactly? :)

You don't like the glow coloring part on top of the window/borders, or do you simply mean the title bar is too tall for you?

If it's the height, it can be adjusted easily by just downloading something like WinAero Tweaker and going through the "Window Borders" and "Window Title Bars" settings. Default value seems to be 18 and it atleast allows the title bar to be dropped down to 17. Shaving the borders to 0 will take the space off too a bit. For me using this GUI is more faster than going through the values in registry, since you don't need to log off.

Adjusting the borders also through this way needs "ForceSystemMetrics" to be on at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM registry.

However if you have it off, it seems all the values still seem to affect the title bar height, but not the border radius. I use this way personally because it works better for the theme overall.

Edited by Kankipappa

Hello, how to I apply atlas? or how do I get the window buttons to change? I'm stuck with the default Windows 10 buttons at the moment.

To apply themeatlas.png you use aeroglassgui.  Your themeatlas should have a layout file associated with it WITH THE SAME NAME EXCEPT FOR LAYOUT AT THE END.  In otherwords testatlas.png would associate with testatlas.png.layout.  You open the layout file in notepad and add CaptionHeight=12 to the end.  You can change the end number to your preference.

While it doesn't look too distracting, you idea sounds good, the captions could be tweaked down a touch.

I tried cutting a single row of pixels off the top of each of the caption button fills. I'm out of time and can't test it myself just now, though... See how this works for you...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win8/Win8RTM_With_CP_Borders3.png

-Noel

NoelC, thanks for your time, here is the result that i get:

http://postimg.org/image/akfnky63z/