Aero Glass ThemeAtlas

I think the shape of the buttons look the best so far.  I wonder how difficult it would be to make a semi-dark glassy version like below.  I'm guessing there's still no way to add real button glow.

2cwlc1t.png

(To no one in particular...)

After a bit of refinement, how do these buttons look to you?  More appealing than my prior version?

NewButtonAnimation.gif

(for Win 10) http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/RoundedCorners.png

-Noel

Nice, like how you have the buttons framed out now.

~DP :yes:

Mkanet2, I'll give it a try.  That's an appealing look.

I suspect much of the magic of that theme, though, comes from that glow that fools the mind into thinking the button is brilliantly lit, and without actual alternate theme code to support it there's simply no way to spread the glow around the button.

-Noel

Well, I made the buttons more gel-like, but honestly I'm not sure I like the look.  But here's a version if you'd like to see how it looks in action:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/RoundedCornersGelButtons.png

Note that the GIF compression made a bit of a mess of the reds in this animation.

GelButtonsInAction.gif

-Noel

I think it's possible that the white border around the buttons take away from the gel-like effect.  Maybe, a less subtle border may match better.

Well, I made the buttons more gel-like, but honestly I'm not sure I like the look.  But here's a version if you'd like to see how it looks in action:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/RoundedCornersGelButtons.png

Note that the GIF compression made a bit of a mess of the reds in this animation.

GelButtonsInAction.gif

-Noel

Borderless is not the direction I want to take this look in.  When I get a few minutes I'm going to try to tone down the darkness to the sides in the gel effect, maybe that will make it seem less strange, as though the whole thing is lighting up brighter than it already is.

-Noel

I've updated it slightly to lighten the dark parts of the button graphics a little, which does make it seem a little less unnatural.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/RoundedCornersGelButtonsLessDeep.png

Still...  My intent with this theme atlas is not to try to return Windows 10 to a look and feel of an earlier OS, or something different than the stock theme entirely, but rather to try to return a small amount of style to the new "ultra modern" lackluster flat appearance.  Deep looking gel buttons just seem to try to take it too far.

To be fair, I'm developing this per my own likes and desires, not to try to please anyone else.  If you like it, great.  If you don't, I encourage you to find others that are more to your liking - or even better, put some time into doing graphics editing and develop one of your own.  It's a bit tricky to combine colors and transparency and it does require some understanding of how Windows assembles the graphic elements of the window chrome, but once you've gotten over these humps it's gratifying to be able to change the appearance of Windows to be more useful (and more to your liking).  Many thanks to Big Muscle for providing the software that facilitates this!

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 3 weeks later...

(To no one in particular...)

After a bit of refinement, how do these buttons look to you? More appealing than my prior version?

NewButtonAnimation.gif

(for Win 10) http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/RoundedCorners.png

-Noel

To be honest, I love this gel effect. It's in keeping with what aero was in Windows 7, while simultaneously breaking new ground in the ui. Makes me wish we could have the ripple gel effect while moving windows from Linux.

<3 <3 <3

Edit: for my own preferences, I am likely to change the dark elements like the x or maximise button while also adding transparency to the mouse over on the buttons. But, as you do it for your preference, I will keep my changes, which are minor, completely private.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running CM12 (LP 5.0.2) using Tapatalk

Edited by drakenabarion

Noel, these clearly contradict Apple's human interface guidelines for the height of buttons to be at least as tall as a thumb. What kind of monster would design such an interface? You must have no regard for humanity, usability, or thumbs.