is microsoft going to bring out windows 9

krt47

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but is this going to be Windows 8.2 or Windows 9? In the Windows 8 Forum, a new Windows 8.2 release is supposed to be ready for March. However, it sounds as if it will be Windows 9. Am I clear on this?

Can you rate (in a 0 to 10 scale) what is the actual relevance (if any) and/or practical use of such piece of info? :w00t:

If you find any relevance in it. (or practical use) for the info, i.e. you assigned more than 0 to the question, what is the particular aspect that you feel important?

I mean, when the *whatever* will come out will actually come out, it will be called in the *whatever* way the good MS guys will see fit, but what's in a name? :unsure:

It can be:

Pessimistic:

1. the usual abomination, called 8.2
  2. the usual abomination, called 9
  3. the usual abomination, called "Curtains 1.0"

Optimistic:

1. a good OS, called 8.2
  2. a good OS, called 9
  3. a good OS, called "New Panorama"

The relevant point seems to me whether it will be a good release or not. :ph34r:, and we might get to know that once it will be available.

jaclaz

Sigh! (OK Jaclaz, maybe some of us care.) I wanted to know if it means a different vision path perhaps, and maybe the differences in version numbering may mean a different marketing path. I just want to know so I asked, that's all!

And yes, I would like to know more importantly what's in the release.

[off topic] Sorry... I've got to stop. I'm getting short of liquid helium, which is sorely needed to keep my crystall ball below 100 °C... [/off topic] :angel

Hmmm, usually it's liquid nitrogen, not helium, that is commonly used to keep cool crystal balls (you must have one of those cheap, made in China ones that overheat :ph34r:)

jaclaz.

The relevant point seems to me whether it will be a good release or not. :ph34r:, and we might get to know that once it will be available.

It wont matter if its a good release or not but it will mater if its better than 8. If its not I think they might increase windows 7 mainstream support a bit just to keep their customers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Windows Vista is NT 6.0 and every other windows after that is the same exact game, but they make updates. What else could the average user gain from another upgrade, or update.

Most people uses MS-works/Office. This makes up 99% of consumers.

Nexy group uses it for fancy graphics.

Next group uses computers for training purposes.

Next group uses computers for internet usage.

Next groups uses computers to watch TV on youtube.

Next group uses it to play videogames.

That small less then 0.0000000X % uses computers to make programs for consumer usage.

I do not really think so. I think college students will bear the next burden of another upgrade. Then the consumer. Offices and training facilities will order a burden ( like those people with VIsta ), and deal with that problem. Right now a college has a bunch of Apple PPC computers, and they do not even use the latest version of Adobe products. Who does that go to? Public Schools in some 3rd world nation? From my understanding, they donate the computers to lesser facilities.

Edited by ROTS

well if you look at MS strategy from windows dawn age

- they forced people to switch due to new OS possibilities // DOS-9x

- then stability // NT 5

- then new Hardware (drivers) // NT 6

- now Software support

what will be next reason ?

Edited by vinifera

After working in IT for years I can tell you that corporate culture rarely changes, people tend to do what they have always done. At Microsoft that seems to be charge for version numbers and create overly complicated names for products. Innovation is mostly done by small start-up’s, you rarely see it in established companies full of technology managers not looking to rock the boat.

Edited by koganstyle