Wallpaper & Screensaver

Well, I don't think you can have a .jpg as a wallpaper. Whenever you select one in the Display properties Windows converts the .jpg/.gif to a .bmp puts it in a folder (will figure out which one later) and uses that. Have it convert your jpg to a bmp, use the bmp and I'm sure it will work.

:)

;These NTFS tweaks improve file system performance.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001

"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

"Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000001

Enabling Win95TruncatedExtensions (which is unnecessary since it is already enabled by default) doesn't do anything for performance. It simply mimics the behavior of Win95 when it comes to file operations (via command prompt) performed on long file extensions. It ONLY affects the command prompt. With it enabled (as you've done, and by default) running the command...

DEL *.HTM

...will delete all files ending in .HTM as well as .HTML (and .HTM*, etc.).

With it disabled (as I do, and strongly recommend) that same command will ONLY delete *.HTM files. Now you probably don't do anything from the commandline so it may not affect you. But power users will certainly want this disabled to avoid accidental file operations.

Want more information?

@ Dollars22:

This could be your problem:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]"Wallpaper"=""%systemroot%\\system32\\qube.jpg"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]

"Wallpaper"="%systemroot%\\system32\\qube.jpg

.reg files do not accept variables. It has to be the full path.

I have no idea about that but %systemroot% in my .reg works for me.

If the full path does work for you, add something like this to a .cmd file (hope the syntax is right. Read it from here.)

REG ADD HKU\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop /v Wallpaper /t REG_SZ /d %systemroot%\system32\qube.jpg

@ Dollars22:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"Wallpaper"=""%systemroot%\\system32\\qube.jpg"

this was the problem... i added the full path, and it worked like a charm :) ... i had the wallpaper as a bmp and with the full path it showed. THANKS DarkBringer :rolleyes: for finding that out, i would have never known reg's can't take variables. and thanks for everyone elses help too! now does anyone know what else can and cannot take variables? can the winnt.sif have variables pointing to the theme? i dunno either, i'm going to point it to the full path and give my theme a shot right now, i'll report back with results...

thanks again!

yea i gave the winnt.sif full path to the theme a shot and i didn't work. :)

however, my wallpaper is loading with the classic theme, which is good enough for me!!! w00t w00t, thanks again everyone,

if anyone has anymore ideas for the them i'd sure like to hear em, i'll try them out...

Ahh.. now I see why my variable "worked". It was just ignoring the variable and read the bmp file. Since the file is in my WINDOWS folder it worked. Anywhere else and it does not. So, for wallpaper files, just put the bmp in your WINDOWS (%systemroot%) folder and in the reg put:

"Wallpaper"="Qube.bmp"

Dollars22: even though the REG ADD statement above uses a variable, when it adds the statement into the registry it becomes the full path. %systemroot% becomes C:\WINDOWS or whatever.

Dollars

QUOTE (Disoriented One @ Mar 28 2004, 06:28 PM)

Thanks evilvoice,

I think I found the problem in my regtweaks.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\Themes]With no value set.

Thanx 

Did changing this have any positive effect? if so what did you add?

I'm sorry to say it had no effect.

But at this point I think you are further down the road than myself

• 3 weeks later...

i'm using Windows Classic.theme with default background theme Ierland.bmp

(i'm dutch by the way)

How to automaticly replace Ierland.bmp with my background?

I rename my background to Ierland.bmp (which is the default background)

But i don't know how i must load my new background automaticly

I which script to place a command to do this?

Thanks

You don't have to replace any bmp files. Just create your own and change the registry.

If you put the bmp in the Windows folder you do not have to specifiy a path in the registry. To change the registry you have two options, either a .reg file or a .cmd file. You cannot use variables like %systemroot% in a .reg file, so if you use a .reg file you have to either put the direct path or place the bmp in the Windows folder. With .cmd files you can put the bmp anywhere you like then use any variable you like. Here are some examples of each.

.reg file

"Wallpaper"="Wallpaper.bmp"
"WallpaperStyle"="2"

.cmd file

REG ADD HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop /v Wallpaper /d "%systemdrive%\folder\Wallpaper.bmp" /f

Haven't tested the cmd file method but pretty sure it'll work. :)

Hope all this helps!

• 3 months later...
@ Dollars22:

"Wallpaper"=""%systemroot%\\system32\\qube.jpg"

i'm running into some similar problems.

from cmdlines.txt i add a bunch of registry tweaks (which work, at least most of them). one is:

"TileWallpaper"="0"

"Wallpaper"="%SystemRoot%\\Web\\Wallpaper\\Grassy.bmp"

"WallpaperStyle"="2"

i have also tried this with [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop]. it does not set the login background to Grassy.bmp. on the other hand, it is set to autologin and sets the admin background to Grassy. during this autologin, i add another reg tweak via [GuiRunOnce] to set the administrator background to something different:

"TileWallpaper"="0"

"Wallpaper"="%SystemRoot%\\Web\\Wallpaper\\Access.bmp"

"WallpaperStyle"="2"

the result once i manually login is that .DEFAULT has wallpaper set to nothing in the registy while admin is still set to Grassy, not Access. if i manually run the tweaks after installed, they work.

my conclusion is that .DEFAULT is being reset at some point after cmdlines.txt is called. does anybody know anything about this? i'll try full path's, though the background is currently showing with %SystemRoot% in the registry and i would think that would be technically more correct since %SystemRoot% seems to be interpreted correctly when windows reads it from the registry.

thanks for any thoughts,

kyle