os install problems

boink0r

i have been having some problems on just a typical os install. i keep getting errors of the system not being able to copy a certain file. you can tell it to retry or skip with a message saying the installation may fail. well the thing is i have tried multiple operating system disks, which have worked before on other machines, and they all have they show the same error (different files). ive tried my oem copy of xp corp, a slipstreamed sp1 xp corp, and a slipstreamed sp4 windows 2000 pro disk. any ideas?

I had this problem a few weeks ago, i'd get the error with random files during setup file copy. I must have ran windows setup at least 20 times but i couldnt figure out what was wrong until i got a Blue Screen of Death.. thats right, a BSOD during windows setup. The error it gave was one that usually points to problems with RAM. I swapped out my RAM and after that, the install went smooth.

Try changing your RAM and see how it goes.

yea i did the cd rom thing before. the i pulled out one of the sticks of ram though, and bam! install went like a dream. looks like i am going to have to exchange the ram now though :)