~ 8.1 Rants Or Raves ~

DosProbie

To kick it off here is my first rant..

1. When using 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 I am unable to paste anything into the "Reply to this topic" posts window

but with Chrome and Firefox it will copy just fine, thinking it may be a software or system issue I did a complete

reinstall of 8.1 but still a no go, anyone else having a similar issue or issues?. DP

For what it's worth, I just upgraded to IE11 on Windows 7 and I can't paste anything into this window either.

-Noel

I cannot remember the entire error, all I know is I'm st wits end with it! Happens on all my computers when signing in to the 8.1 Music or Video app. First I got an error after putting in my password saying Service-6000 followed by a bunch of random numbers. Now I get an error that says CreateAccountGet followed by more numbers and letters. Please, at least guide me in the right direction of anyone has a clue of what to do. Are there any appdata folders for these apps, because I cannot find them if there is one. Also should I try looking manually for registry settings that may cause an issue (keys related to the app, of course), or could this be an issue on the server side that only a long phone call with Microsoft can solve? I don't really use Modern UI apps, but this is annoying to say the least. I've tried uninstalling (including from all synced computers), clearing data under app sizes, and syncing app licenses on the Store. I also had Twp step authentication turned on, but then I thought it may have related to the issue, so I turned it off. Assistance is badly needed. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by MikeRL

I solved it. The answer was kind of hidden. I never really touched my Xbox account via an actual browser. Turns out they updated the EULA since my last web sign-in. I accepted the updated EULA, and presto! The app now works again! IT'S A MIRACLE! I'm so glad that's fixed. All I don't understand is what egghead at Microsoft thought it'd be a good idea to cough up a nasty sounding error instead of asking the user to view the new EULA and accept it. This was such a headache I feel like I should let MS know about it.

Same here, no paste no how from IE11. I'm able to paste into other forums with IE11, so clearly it's this site.

I don't allow the ActiveX to run from this site (and I know it tries to run one because sometimes I see an "Add-on for this website failed to run" message).

The site admin needs to update the scripts to work with IE11 without dependence on ActiveX.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for bumping this topic. I happened to find this lovely tool today:

Using it does solve the problem I mentioned before. This tool makes all the applications I have opened and then closed from the start screen work properly. I don't have to end them from Task Manager any more. So nice!

A few little problems with Windows 8.1 have shown their heads...

I schedule a nightly shadow copy-integrated System Image backup (wbadmin command). Apparently the backup process unmounts and remounts the backup drive in the process and leaves 4 "Drive 5 has been surprise removed" Warning messages in my System Event log. Microsoft has SO lost the plot when something as normal as a backup is now so poorly integrated with the OS that it causes warnings to run it. :(

Another niggling detail is that for some reason, even though when I earlier mocked it up in a Windows 8.1 VM it worked properly, Word 2003 crashes when I try to paste something from a web page into it. I still haven't gotten to the bottom of that glitch. Yeah, I know, I should probably get a newer version of Office. Thing is, up to now Office 2003 has done all I need - and it will still if I can get past this Word crash problem. Outlook 2003 is working great on Windows 8.1.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Sorry for bumping this topic. I happened to find this lovely tool today:

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.71

Using it does solve the problem I mentioned before. This tool makes all the applications I have opened and then closed from the start screen work properly. I don't have to end them from Task Manager any more. So nice!

Thanks. I am happy that you like my tool :)

My video with this tool:

Edited by hb860