~ 8.1 Rants Or Raves ~

DosProbie

To kick it off here is my first rant..

1. When using 8.1 and Internet Explorer 11 I am unable to paste anything into the "Reply to this topic" posts window
but with Chrome and Firefox it will copy just fine, thinking it may be a software or system issue I did a complete
reinstall of 8.1 but still a no go, anyone else having a similar issue or issues?. DP

Not sure if it is the answer to your problem, but I found that disabling Enhanced Protected Mode from advanced settings fixed a number of issues I had with IE11, including inability to drag and re-arrange favourites and preventing me downloading statements in online banking.

Edit: Just tried, and it doesn't help with copy and paste :(

Edited by RS3100

Hmm,

Been having a play, and I can copy and paste into forum reply boxes in every other forum I'm subscribed to. The problem only seems to be with this one.

Also, if I click Quote to reply to a post, I still just get an empty reply box. Shouldn't it populate with the quoted text from the post I want to reply to?

Oh, and the one (and quite possibly ONLY) thing I've found to rave about with Windows 8.1 is a feature that Windows 8 introduced: I can mount an ISO file and see into it right from File Explorer.

So far that seems to be the only improvement I can find! Microsoft wants us to think Metro/Modern is a big deal, but I just don't see it as such. It's just toys.

Other than that, Windows 7 still appears to be every bit as good and in some ways better.

-Noel

They couldn't even get ISO mounting right. If you have one ISO mounted and try to mount another, sometimes it fails to unmount the earlier one and gives some weird error, then mounts the other one under a new drive letter.

The problem is this forum software. There have been others (e.g., Adobe's forums) that don't work well with IE11 either, but they're gradually getting fixed.

-Noel

Yes this is the case, however I have the same pasting problem with Firefox as well.

8.1 was an improvement?

Who implied that?

8.1 isn't really an improvement over 7 in the very same ways 8.0 isn't an improvement.

It's an App Delivery System designed by Microsoft to do one thing: Get people to spend money in the App Store.

Okay, two things: Run on their tablets, which they hope to sell like hotcakes. Too little, too late, IMO.

There's really nothing Windows 8 does for you, outside of the one minor new feature I mentioned above (mounting ISOs) for desktop use. It's clear that not only is Microsoft NOT emphasizing desktop development, but they're actively hobbling it in order to drive us to want something else. Some say it boots up quicker, though in my experience (with SSDs on the job) it's not that big a difference from Win 7.

But the 3rd party developers of the world just won't let Microsoft get away with hobbling it - Ivo Beltchev (ClassicShell), Big Muscle (Aero Glass for Win 8), T800 Productions (Folder Options X), Antibody Software (WizMouse), Georg Fischer (ShellFolderFix), Stfan Kueng (Subversion and grepWin), and a whole host of others are making it better again.

And I'm very glad for that. :)

-Noel

They couldn't even get ISO mounting right. If you have one ISO mounted and try to mount another, sometimes it fails to unmount the earlier one and gives some weird error, then mounts the other one under a new drive letter.

I can't remember any MS product that came with OS, that was doing a quality job

somehow it seems that only 3rd party apps always replace MS tools... if you can even call them tools