[Error] - Bad pool caller when reinstalling XP Home

Irish

OK, I did a stupid thing. I tried reinstalling Win XP Home Edition without first backing up my vital data. Now I need help!

During the reinstall, I got the error message "bad_pool_caller". It then said:

STOP: Ox000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x020c0001, 0x833D3718)

I can't get the computer out of the 'loop' of restarting the setup. When it shows me the above message, it then takes me to the log. Then after you click on 'close' it reboots, goes to the Dell logo screen, then the Win XP Home Ed screen, then says "setup is being restarted". It continues to do this every time, so I can't get out of it!

I moved the hard drive to another computer as a slave drive to try and get my data off of it. But I couldn't get to wherever (probably the My Documents folder) all my Microsoft Word documents are. I believe this is because I had my other computer set up for password protect, so these aren't available when it's a slave drive.

If anyone can tell me how to get around this or through it, I'd sure be a happy camper!!!

well either reinstalling it is a bad idea!

not backing up is worse.

not partitioning is even worser

your problem might be the one over here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;321793

how to debug http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314492

even so restarting over and over again means that u might not have the bootfix.bin in there and therefore after copying the files over and then restarts it boots from the cd again

either first eject the cd after the copy part or change the boot order after copy part..

none the less at least make 2 partitions

this way u can even if an error occurs, will be able to install it on the 2nd partition.

if everything fails start recovery.

if u can boot it off with a startup disk or something either delete or rename the windows files

ie rename windows to del01 program files to del02 and delete the files in the root like ntldr etc then restart the setup.

if the setup fails it's something else.....

if u have another computer nearby (like a friends comp etc.) plug it in and use gosh's method to put the setup files in your hdd. then the setup will work just fine..

that's my personal opinion.

Edited by XtremeMaC

I'm sorry, but could you tell me what you mean by "gosh's method to put the setup files in your hdd" . . . I do have another computer to put this drive into, so I could do that if I only knew how! :)

in your i386 folder type winnt32.exe /noreboot

XP Setup should come up.  Make sure you chose New Installation, not Upgrade.  Go through the options as usual.  Don't download updated setup files.  At the "Setup Options" screen, click on "Advanced Options", and make sure "copy all installation files from the CD" is checked. If it's grayed out - that's fine.

it will copy the cd contenst to the hdd into 2 folders

just like this

$WIN_NT$.~BT

$WIN_NT$.~LS

and will put the boot.ini and some other stuff

so follow this guide partially.. http://gosh.msfnhosting.com/part1.htm

i'll try to guide u through but i can't do it now wait for 3 hrs.. hopefully i'll be back

sorry this stuff that are wrote are very partial

i've to check over it i don't have time now

basically just to give u the idea.

u'll be copying the contents of the cd. but copying i386 folder to hdd jsut doesn't work cause u need the boot files. etc. try to play with it for a while if u have time and patience. if Gosh is here s/he might help.

i don't know

I just thought he was having copy problems or something

thought that this method would copy the files he need.

i don't know what i was thinking

i might have had something else in mind..

any suggestions?

Well, I copied the 'setup' file from the CD onto the HDD, put it back into the 'looping' computer, did a bunch of other things (in no general order and not sure -- just kept hitting the F8 button & others), and next thing I knew it was past the error message and finally finished the reinstallation of Win XP.

I know this doesn't help others if they should have a similar problem, but wanted you to know that I very much appreciate your help and quick responses!! :)

Thank you very much :rolleyes:

It's definitely working. I waited until it went all the way into the desktop, then shut down a couple times, came back up just fine, shut back down & added a different monitor, back up, down again & added a second drive, back up.

All my files are still there -- which is what I was most worried about losing! One program file was corrupted, but I have it on my notebook and can reinstall it.

As I said, I'm not sure exactly what it was that got it going, but between loading the XP setup onto the HDD, and looping around for another hour plus, it eventually got past the error message and finished the reinstall.

Thanks again!

Yo

This could be a hardware problem. You might want to check your Main board capcitors - if they are shorting and you will get that kind of loop. This is inherent in IBM Aptvista machines but any other pc can do the same. Cap short Ckting is caused by excess moisture or manufacture inefficiency.

You might wanna check your memory as well.

GPM

Do NOT touch those capacitors unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Touching those capacitors in the wrong way even can knock you back up against a wall. Use EXTREME caution.

If you don't know what to touch, I'd highly recommend taking it to a computer repair store close to your home. They will know better on how to solve the issue and have the proper tools and experience to do so.

Anyway, see if you can't boot into safe mode. If you can do that then you're in great shape. Most likely it's just driver conflict but it could be other minor (fixable) problems. One other thing though before I go in too much depth, what is your computer setup? Namely your video card. I'd also like to know the other hardware (not hard drives or cd/dvd drives).

newldes

http://www.webzila.com

dude forget about the capacitors

even if u touch them do u know what u're looking for?

i'd say backup your stuff and format and reinstall xp.

after this if the problem persists look for other solutions

Xtreme, if he could boot into Windows then he could back up his data. However, unless he can do that, he's going to have some issues.

Like I said though, if you can boot into Safe Mode then it will be a quick and easy fix. There isn't anything majorly wrong but just a few kinks is all that need to be straightened out :)

Well, I'll be offline until Friday because I'm moving into the new house I just bought. I'll check back then to see if the issue has been solved or not.

newldes

http://www.webzila.com

It's definitely working. I waited until it went all the way into the desktop, then shut down a couple times, came back up just fine, shut back down & added a different monitor, back up, down again & added a second drive, back up.

All my files are still there -- which is what I was most worried about losing! One program file was corrupted, but I have it on my notebook and can reinstall it.

As I said, I'm not sure exactly what it was that got it going, but between loading the XP setup onto the HDD, and looping around for another hour plus, it eventually got past the error message and finished the reinstall.

Thanks again!

he solved the problem

I'm just telling him if he wants to try the capacitor method for any reason, he should first try backup/format/install.

• 1 year later...

I have gotten the bad pool caller error and have not been successful in reinstalling XP. Furthermore, both my harddrives have become unrecognizable to the bios. I've tried using my harddrive on another motherboard and it fried that computer too. Seems to be a virus of sorts but from reading up on the problem, now it sounds like it might be RAM or software driver...etc.. The only software driver i can think of that has been causing problems with my computer is ATI's Wonder VE TV tuner application. Never seems to run smoothly and recently I've upgraded the drivers. With the Tuner card running it always causes a crash when i'm surfing or not. This stop error though is nothing i've seen before.

My first hardrive 20gig has all my windows and utility programs. My second harddrive 200gigs has my entertainment stuff...movies, music, vids, games...etc...

I've tried running with one HD or both or switched and the BIOS doesn't want to recognize them. I tried putting the HD's in my brother-in-laws computer and it looks like it fried his computer too. His BIOS failed to recognize my HD's and his HD. Not only that, but his HD starting knocking. It has to be some sort of virus?? I don't want to lose any files from these HD's but how to i back up if i can't access them?? Is the BIOS damaged?? Can I repair the BIOS?? Its affected two computers.....what could cause this??

Please help.