Some Windows 8.1 tasks may not be configured properly

lurk&jerk

If you use Solid State Digital drives (SSDs), it may be worthwhile to disable the Task Scheduler Trim command in Windows 8, as Microsoft does not seem to have implemented it correctly. See this post:

Go to Task Scheduler, look in the Microsoft folder for the "Defrag" entry in the folder and right click on it to disable it. Then create a new task to implement the Trim command on SSD drives the right way:

C:\Windows\System32\Defrag.exe c: /L

Where C: is the drive you want to trim.

Another task that may be worth modifying is WinSAT.exe, since Windows 8.1 no longer displays the Window Experience Index rating on the System Properties page, Correct me if I'm wrong, but because of the absence of WEI I don't see any reason to run WinSAT.exe any more, which is under the \Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance folder in Task Scheduler.

Edited by lurk&jerk

Good Stuff Lurk&Jerk, You can still get your 8.1 WEI score here: => http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Windows-Experience-Index-for-Windows-8-1.shtml
and also run all benchmarks with this batch below(Run As Admin)..DP :sneaky:

@Echo Off&&@Color 1f && mode con: cols=66 lines=8Title, Windows System Assessment Tool:: ~ DosProbie - WinSat.cmd:: Run ALL Benchmarks with Log File..Echo Running Windows Assessment, Please Wait..This May Take A While..Winsat formal -restart %systemdrive% > %systemdrive%\Formal.WinSat.Assessment.ALL.htm Cls echo: & echo *DONE* & echo:pause
Edited by DosProbie

I remember that discussion. FYI, chances are very good that you really don't need your system doing any TRIM maintenance at all with most modern SSDs. I've been running a RAID array of SSDs for 18 months now without TRIM support at all, and it's as fast as ever.

That said, it might be wise to leave the winsat.exe scheduled task in place. I believe the results from that are used by other system maintenance processes.

Thanks for that WEI link, DosProbie. A cool little program. Not bad for a VMware virtual machine...

W81EVM_WEI.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I also have noticed at the end of my 8.1 ua install that it runs WEI performance check in a dos console as it boots to the desktop..DP

That's usually the fault of the video driver. I have seen in several cases where the same hardware will or won't run WinSAT at first boot depending what video driver is installed.

I can understand running WinSat.exe at setup. But I still don't understand why Windows needs to periodically run this command after your hardware has settled, particularly since many gamers complain that this application runs at inopportune times, crashing their games.

I know Microsoft makes a WinSAT.eve available to 3rd party applications through an API, so they can configure themselves. But in most PCs it just seems a waste of resources to run this command regularly, instead of when hardware is changed. I've kept WinSAT.exe disabled in Task Scheduler with no issues. I think using that program that NoelC linked to is a better option to check your performance index without having WinSAT.exe go off at random. As for the SSD Trim command, I agree with NoelC that it is not necessary. But unlike WinSAT.exe, executing Trim correctly does not seem to do any harm.

Edited by lurk&jerk