PS/2 Mouse Doesn't Work

JayMan

Its been quite the adventure trying to install on my "new" system.

For some reason the PS/2 mouse doesn't function at all. I went into control panel into the mouse settings and it has an error 10: can't start up the device.

The mouse functions just fine in XOSL and BartPE with no issues what so ever.

Any ideas/suggestion/solutions?

Thanks in advance.

I did some googling and discovered that others have had similar issues.

Here is where things get WEIRD: In discussing the issue someone mentioned kb258797. I went to the MS site with the following link, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258797 and got a "Oops The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available." error. But if I go to a different language, such as French with this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258797/fr I get a valid page - but in French.

So I used our good friend Google Translate and got the following:

The PS / 2 ports appear unexpectedly in the Device Manager when using a Microsoft pointing device

Microsoft Windows 2000
When you view the Device Manager tab in the System on a Windows 2000 computer Properties dialog box, you may encounter the following problems:

Keyboard PC / AT PS / 2 (84 keys) may appear in the Keyboard branch, even if your keyboard is connected to the USB port of the computer.
A yellow circle with an exclamation mark may appear on the PC / AT PS / 2 keyboard (84 keys) icon. When you click PC / AT PS / 2 keyboard (84 keys) and then click Properties, the following error message appears on the General tab:
The device can not start. (Code 10)

Try updating the drivers for this device.
The IRQ 01 may be assigned to the keyboard.
The input / output range 0060-0060 may be assigned to the keyboard.
The input / output range 0064-0064 may be assigned to the keyboard.

Note The system requirements for the Microsoft IntelliPoint 5.0 software is Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000 or later operating system.

Cause
This behavior is by design of the product.
Resolution
To work around this problem, contact your computer manufacturer for more information on configuring the BIOS settings to disable mouse port PS / 2 keyboard or PS / 2 port on the computer.

Note If you use a PS / 2 keyboard to configure the BIOS settings of the computer or typing commands in MS-DOS, Microsoft recommends that you do not disable the keyboard PS / 2 port in the BIOS settings of the computer.

So this brings up a lot of questions. For starters why did MS remove the English version of this page? Second, how can not having a mouse work be "by design"?!?!?

The thing that boogles me is that this same keyboard and mouse has been used on my old system (and still is until I get my new one up) and it is running Win2K (with a slipstream I created with HFSLIP many many years ago) without any issues.

Very befuddling!

The Wayback Machine still has the original English KB258797 as it was in 2009, for what it's worth.

As for why did MS remove the English version of this page? They've been trimming the KB for some time, but that may be just at the English KB, or whatever...

Do you have a true PS/2 mouse (or is it a USB one) attached?

The Wayback Machine still has the original English KB258797 as it was in 2009, for what it's worth.

As for why did MS remove the English version of this page? They've been trimming the KB for some time, but that may be just at the English KB, or whatever...

Essentially:

CAUSE:

This behavior is by design.

That kb must have been written by the people that became developers of Windows 8. :ph34r:

jaclaz

Yes, its a true old school PS/2 mouse.

CAUSE:

This behavior is by design.

That kb must have been written by the people that became developers of Windows 8. :ph34r:

LOL Yeah, that "cause" made me do many face-palms. "Making it so that your keyboard and mouse don't work, even though they should, and do work in other systems, is all on purpose!" OY VEY!

Edited by JayMan

Ok, back to serious mode.

I found my original HFSLIP folder that I used to make the slipstream CD that I used to install my older system with.

So I copied into it the REG.EXE into the HFTOOLS folder (to take care of the 48-bit LBA issue) and created a new CD.

Used it to install my new system, but it exhibited the same issues.

So its not an issue with Win2K, as my Win2K install works perfect on other systems. Its not my new system, as it works perfectly with other OSes.

So the issue is the two together. So the question is why don't they like each other, and how do I get them to play nice?

Where do I look for help, besides here, as both Win2K and my D102GGC2 mobo are no longer supported by their makers.

So its not an issue with Win2K, as my Win2K install works perfect on other systems. Its not my new system, as it works perfectly with other OSes.

No. :no:

You take an UNtouched Windows 2K, DO NOT modify ANYTHING exception made for manually slipstreaming SP4, (and the 48 bit LBA key) test the install, and then you can say that.

What I mean is that is possible that the HFSLIP (and/or the n mods you made to the install disc/source) may have caused a side effect that only shows on your particular machine (no offence whatever intended :) to you, HFSLIP or it's Author's, of course, but a bug/mistake is always a possibility).

jaclaz

I did that (source CD + SP4 and 48bit LBA fix) and it gave the same results. I had mentioned this in another thread on here, sorry I didn't mention it on this thread. I have over the past three days have burned and tried 14 (I just counted) different CDs with different configurations and options as I have been trying to resolve my keyboard/drive/video/mouse issues!

So after the source+SP4+48bit didn't resolve my mouse issue, created the above CD - as I know that CD has worked on other machines.

Anyways, now the plot thickens! I just did an install with the above CD but with a PS/2 keyboard with the PS/2 mouse, with USB 2.0 enabled, and now the mouse works! The keyboard didn't work but after a minute or so passed it worked. So I rebooted again and the keyboard worked immediantly. One weird thing is that the num lock was turned off while the splash screen was up, about 2-5 seconds before the login box came up.

So to install Win2K I have to have a PS/2 mouse AND keyboard, and after installing I can use my USB keyboard, even with 2.0 enabled, and it works fine (except for the num lock turning off).

So I am hopeful, as clearly my equipment is working under Win2K, the issue is Win2K installation GUI. It is also at the installation GUI that my video card issue starts (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169569-video-error-during-install-when-gui-is-started/).

So what can be modified/slipped that would fix these issues with the Win2K installation process?

Ok, correction - now the mouse isn't working. So I disabled the USB 2.0 and mouse still doesn't work.

The mouse worked with the UBS keyboard for one reboot cycle, and on the second or third (I was distracted by the keyboard acting slightly weird on the second reboot that I didn't notice what the mouse was doing) the mouse stopped.

This is really annoying and frustrating.

Yes, I tried the other mouse that was paired with the PS/2 keyboard that is from another PC.

Also, by "mouse don't work" means that the pointer doesn't even appear on the screen. Just want to be clear as to the extent of the issue.