www.windows2000.tk/updates: Which version of KB831877 and KB830460

JayMan

On the http://www.windows2000.tk/updates/index.html it gives the link to KB831877 and KB830460:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=831877

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=830460

When I click on the links MS gives me two Win2K options. For KB831877 you have Fix75015
and Fix71169, for 830460 you have Fix100643 and PKG61984.

The last one I assume the correct one is the Fix100643, as all the other downloads have been Fix#####. But for KB831877 both options are Fix#####. I downloaded both and the file names in both ZIP files are the same.

So which one do I use?

I have a questions in regards to Windows2000-KB884872-x86-XXX.exe also. According to the MS webpage the hotfix is for Win2K Server, but the www.windows2000.tk/updates page doesn't say thins - making one to think for for all versions of Win2K.

So I am wondering is this hotfix for all versions, or just for Win2K Server?

These are actually very good questions.

I've just checked them and the answer is:

• Use Fix100643 for KB830460 (there's no Msvcirtd.dll in PKG61984).
  • Use Fix75015 for KB831877 (the files from Fix71169 are older).
  • KB884872 is applicable to all editions of Windows 2000 since the files included in it are present in all of them.
Thanks a lot for asking about this, since I'm in the process of updating my website and specifically the updates lists, and now I'll be able to add specific information about these hotfixes to them too :)

Thanks for responding. I greatly appreciate it.

I have another question about KB884872. According to the notes you have there are some difficulty in slipstreaming it. You give instructions for a work around to do a manual installation. Have you by any chance figured out a work around to slipstream it (by using the HFEXPERT folder or something)?

Thanks again!

I don't think you can do anything with KB884872 now. One of the files included in it seems to break something in the Windows installation process. The only solution I can think of would be to install it later, after the setup has finished but this requires more control and could be done through a service pack, but not through a normal update (unless you use HFSVCPACK_SW1, etc.).

I'd just leave it alone for now (too much hassle). I'm going to fix the issue in USP5.2 in the future.

Edited by tomasz86