Windows XP - SP2 RC1 - windows update not working

mangohead

I previously tried XP2 2082 on my notebook, and whenever i tried windows update, it would scan my pc and then suggest 2 ways of updating. No matte which method i chose, it lead to a error page and would not update my system. This is a legit copy of Windows XP.

Today, on my desktop pc, i did a fresh install of windows xp (with sp1), then ran autopatcher (feb), then installed SP2 RC1. I went to do a windows update and the exact same problem that i had with my notebook, appeared. Windows update was broken or was just wasn't working.

Has anyone seen this problem? or know how to fix it?

thanks!

That's the downfall to Sp2 LouCypher. By default, and now required, automatic updates is set to automatic. With Sp1, you can disable automatic updates without loss of functionality. Sp2 requires it or else you can't update Windows. I could be wrong, but that's good probable cause and I've heard the issue stated from others.

One thing I would check though just before you got too into this, make sure Cryptographic Service is set to Automatic and it's started. To check on this and to set accordingly, click start > run and type services.msc and hit enter. That is if you didn't already know to do this.

newdles

http://www.webzila.com