USB Keyboard Stops Working in Middle of Install

JayMan

This, unlike my other recent posts which were about optimizing things, is actually a critical issue.

While testing out a burned CD on my PC I noticed when I went to select which harddrive to install on that my keyboard was not responding. I search the forums here and only found a few posts talking about this, but with no resolve (or at least I didn't find any as the issue was raised in another thread about another topic and I didn't want to read all 100+ replies to see if someone slipped it in). But doing a search on HFSLIP and USB keyboard brought no solutions.

So in my attempt at trouble shooting I did the following so far and discovered the following.

I stripped things down to just slipstreaming SP4, UR2, and UURollup v10d.

I included the following files in the HFEXPERT\STORAGE folder for my sata drives

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iastor.inf
iastor.sys
SCS28579.drv
storage.ini
txtsetup.oem

I included the following file in the HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32 folder:

mapistub.dll

I included to .REG files in the HFSVCPACK folder for KB830407 and KB919521 which have the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache]
"Enabled"=dword:00000000
"EconomicalAdminPinning"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL]
"14140000FFFFFFFF"=dword:00000010

I included in the REPLACE\I386 folder the modified SETUPREG.HIV that is supposed to help with the 127GB+ drive issue from http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/75713-48-bit-lba-on-win2k-setup/

While the system was installing I was toggling the numlock key to see at what point it stops responding. I also press F6 to see if it was receiving any input. The keyboard functioned fine, including the F6 key and pressing <ENTER> to continue. The point where it froze was 1 second after it says "Setup is starting Windows 2000", right before the partition selection screen comes up. When it happens the numlock key turns off.

So what is causing the setup to turn off my keyboard? Is this an issue with the USB keyboard which just happens to die before the partition selection, or is something with the 127BG+ issue fix is causing the USB keyboard to stop working?

Any advise, suggestions, or hopefully solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

when I went to select which harddrive to install on that my keyboard was not responding.

Which hardware do you use? Machine, motherboard, USB port?

Can you change BIOS USB emulation?

Do you use a front USB port? Try another USB port.

System Specs:

Intel D102GGC2 motherboard with a Pentium D 805 processor

2GB RAM

500gb Maxtor SATA

300gb Maxtor SATA

I am using one of the rear USB ports.

I was able to get an PS/2 keyboard to test out my CD. At the place where the keyboard would normally freeze the lights on my keyboard all flashed on and then all went off (including the num lock which was previously on). However was able to turn the num lock back on and use the keyboard normally.

Also I tried using the original Win2K install CD, and the same thing happens. So there is something with the installer that does something to the keyboard, and if its a PS/2 it keeps working, if its a USB it stops.

Can you change BIOS USB emulation?

My BIOS does have the following USB settings I can change:

UBS All - ENABLE

USB 2.0 - ENABLE

USB Legacy - ENABLE

So what, if any, should I change?

USB All just turns the USB off.

I disabled USB Legacy and my keyboard wouldn't work in BIOS anymore.

I disabled USB 2.0 and now the keyboard works just like the PS/2 did.

So, what needs to be modified/slipstreamed into my install CD so that I can have my USB 2.0 enabled?

With USB 2.0 disabled in BIOS, when in BIOS you'll have just USB 1.x (usually 1.1), which is plenty for the keyboard and mouse. This makes the overall installation process slower, but if it allows that process to complete, that's the intended outcome. Now, on day-to-day use, after Windows is fully booted you'll have USB 2.0 support regardless of what you set in BIOS, because Windows substitutes that part of BIOS by its own drivers.

With USB 2.0 disabled in BIOS, when in BIOS you'll have just USB 1.x (usually 1.1), which is plenty for the keyboard and mouse. This makes the overall installation process slower, but if it allows that process to complete, that's the intended outcome. Now, on day-to-day use, after Windows is fully booted you'll have USB 2.0 support regardless of what you set in BIOS, because Windows substitutes that part of BIOS by its own drivers.

Oh wow, I did not know that. So I guess that means I should just let the BIOS setting stay with 2.0 disabled then.

Thanks for the info!

Intel D102GGC2 motherboard

A Intel motherboard with a ATI IXP 450 Southbridge.

That's AMD hardware at a Intel motherboard. This is impossible and will fail ;)

Back then I used a AMD K6 CPU at a Intel chipset.

So I guess that means I should just let the BIOS setting stay with 2.0 disabled then.

Didn't you update the BIOS in the meantime? http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169569-video-error-during-install-when-gui-is-started/#entry1058307

Do you get USB 2.0 speed at Windows?

In addition there are another USB driver versions.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129829-usb-functional-patches-for-win2000-after-sp4-and-r1/

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/11/13/list-of-the-latest-usb-hotfixes-for-each-windows-version.aspx

And remember there are PCI USB 2.0 NEC cards.

May be there is a spare one in your technical trash bin.

Thanks for the reply!

Intel D102GGC2 motherboard

A Intel motherboard with a ATI IXP 450 Southbridge.
That's AMD hardware at a Intel motherboard. This is impossible and will fail ;)
Back then I used a AMD K6 CPU at a Intel chipset.

What do you mean by "this is impossible and will fail"? What is impossible? What will fail? Please explain/elaborate.

So I guess that means I should just let the BIOS setting stay with 2.0 disabled then.

Didn't you update the BIOS in the meantime? http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/169569-video-error-during-install-when-gui-is-started/#entry1058307

Do you get USB 2.0 speed at Windows?

Yes, I updated the BIOS with the latest Intel BIOS. It didn't add any extra USB options.

I haven't gotten past the point where the install goes into the GUI due to the video issue, so I haven't gotten into windows to know what USB speed I have.

In addition there are another USB driver versions.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129829-usb-functional-patches-for-win2000-after-sp4-and-r1/
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2009/11/13/list-of-the-latest-usb-hotfixes-for-each-windows-version.aspx

And remember there are PCI USB 2.0 NEC cards.
May be there is a spare one in your technical trash bin.

Thanks for the links, I'll have to check those out.

Sadly the mobo only has 2 PCI, one of which is taken up by my sound card - so using my last PCI slot (last open slot in the whole machine) for a USB card isn't that appealing to me.

What do you mean by "this is impossible and will fail"?

Sorry, just ranting. No, it should work.

And manufacturer supports Windows 2000 at this motherboard.

Given different errors:

I wonder about plain SP4 files or with integrated Update Rollup Pack.

No problem, I was just confused.

I had, during my multi trouble shooting attempts created a slipstream with just SP4 and UR1, just in case something somewhere was breaking something. I had to of course still slipstream my SATA drivers and the SETUPREG.HIV file I downloaded due to my drives being SATA and being over 137gb. Still the system demonstrated the same issues.

In regards to different errors (I don't know if you read my other post or not), I tried a setup having USB 2.0 disabled and using the onboard video as the primary port. The install worked fine except for one thing - my PS/2 mouse doesn't work!!! So I have Win2K running on the machine - but with no mouse.

I went into the control panel and the mouse settings said I had an error 10: This device can not start. And of course the mouse works fine under both XOSL and BartPE with no issues.

Its both funny and extremely annoying in many ways: first the hard drive, then the keyboard, then the video, and now the mouse - all of which are pretty major/essential components! At least the CD-ROM drive is working! lol