Windows Vista SP2 (32 bits) - Minimal services required

Ziplon

Greetings,

I'm still using Windows Vista SP2 (32 bits) and really need to speed up.

Someone is aware of the minimal windows services required?

Thanks a lot for your support

Edited by Ziplon

HP Pavilion dv5-1050ep Entertainment Notebook PC

Intel® Core™2 Duo T9400 2.53Ghz

3 GB RAM

320 GB SATA 5400 rpm

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB

Windows Vista® Home Premium SP2 (32 bits)

Thank you MagicAndre1981! But you are wrong because services can slow down the PC.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959062

"There are several tasks you can perform when using Vista to improve slow performance. Vista contains built-in-features that allow you to manage potential slow performance issues. These include:

Deleting programs you never use
Limiting how many programs load at startup
Running fewer programs at the same time
Turning off visual effects
Restarting regularly
Checking for viruses and spyware
Checking your computer’s speed
Disabling services you don’t need"

Any questions? Contact Microsoft

Edited by Ziplon

I believe, and I think we can all agree, that Black Viper is as much of a recognized expert on Windows services as anyone on the net. Sure he occasionally makes an error, don't we all? Be aware that the minimal services configuration has some limitations as far as some things that might not work as you expect as a result of the minimal settings. Read the documentation and notes for details. But the beauty of disabling services is that they are easy to re-enable if necessary.

As far as speeding your OS up as a result, I'm afraid I would trust MagicAndre over MS. HE is a recognized expert, at least around here, on speeding up your OS, especially the startup/shutdown times, and even more especially with Vista. Note carefully what he said:

again, turning services off doesn't make the PC much faster. You have to tell us what is slow. Is this so hard to understand?

Sure, the services might make some small difference, just like you might be ale to run faster in one brand of running shoes over another. But even if you could measure the difference, in milliseconds for example, will it be a difference you will really notice? Adjusting your services is a smart thing to do, I also do it, but don't expect miracles in improved performance as a result.

Andre asked you a very valid question which you have ignored. If you continue to refuse to answer questions from folks that are willing to help you in an area that they know more about than you, then very quickly you will find that you will be ignored.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

"Someone is aware of the minimal windows services required?"

Yes. :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

In your own (cited) words:

Any questions? Contact Microsoft

JFYI, if there is someone on this board that knows where his towel is regarding Vista and specifically it's possible performance enhancements, that person is MagicAndre1981 :), be aware that you are currently riscking to slip on a chocolate covered banana :w00t::

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/put-down-the-chocolate-covered-banana.html

jaclaz

turning off indexer and superfetch will most likely save you HDD trashing and RAM eating

turning off DWM/aero will speed up responsivness of any window/app

but have in mind that some services are tied to others (firewall and updates are dependant on one or more other, so is system performance motinoring and other bunch)

think that even vLite tells you that

also as said up, visit black viper webpage, there are detailed descriptions there for services