Slipstreaming Update Rollup 2 - Do I include UR1?

JayMan

I am confused.

According to http://www.windows2000.tk/index.html I need to include UR1 in order to use UR2. However according to http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152194-discontinued-update-rollup-2-for-windows-2000/ I can not include it.

So which is it?

Also, http://www.windows2000.tk/updates/index.html# contains a list of various hotfixes. When you click on "hide superseded" it hides the files that are not needed due to other updates. However UR2 is not listed on this page. So I am wondering, if I use UR2, what fixes on the page are superseded by it?

Sadly I have spent several hours downloading the first 70 fixes. It was ridiculously tedious due to Microsoft's setup. I had to click on the link on the update list, then on the MS site I had to select the file, type my email address twice, enter a rechapta, then go to my email, click on the link in my email, then open the file downloaded in zip to extract the file - FOR EVERY SINGLE FILE!!!!

Doing that for 70 files was SOOOOOOOOOOO annoying!

So I would like to know what files I actually need to download from MS for the slipstream, so I don't have to subject myself to MS's download scheme anymore than I need to.

So in summary:

If I am slipstreaming SP4, UR2, and UURollup, do I or don't I use UR1?

Since I'm using UR2, what hotfixes are what fixes on the page are superseded by it?

Thanks in advance.

UR2 does not include UR1. The topic you mentioned above is about the first (older) release of UR2 which indeed did cover also UR1 but it was buggy and incomplete. Update Rollup 2 isn't included in the updates list because it's still kind of perfect, may contain some bugs, etc. Also it's no longer developed since I want to focus on the USP5.2. You can find a full list of updates and hotfixes included in UR2 here.

You're talking about downloading 70 hotfixes being troublesome but I together with acus downloaded around 6000-7000 files that way (25 files for all languages per hotfix) :P

Instead of using the M$ website you can now download them from my download Archive (Windows2000/Updates) which should be much easier and faster.

Thank you so much for responding and explaining all of this.

Wow! That is A LOT of files!

Thank you for the suggestion and link about your archive page - that will make things MUCH easier!

I plan on resuming the downloading process, as well as following the directions given in regards to making .REG files and other work arounds.

Since you plan on updating the page, could you kindly post to this topic any changes done so could correct on my end what ever might need to be corrected without having to scourer the page and try to figure out what I need to modify to remain current?

Thanks so much for all the work you have done, and taking the time to help with all of this.

Wow, downloading the files form the link you gave is making things so much easier! Thank you again.

I just want to make you aware, in case your not already, that one of the files listed is not found in your archive:

Windows2000-KB891503-v2-x86-XXX.exe

When I go to download it from MS it gives me SFU35-Q891503-X86-ENU.exe

Please advise as to what to do.

Ok, just to make sure I understand and am doing this correctly.

If I download the various MS Hotfixes you have listed on the http://www.windows2000.tk/updates/index.html# page I don't use UR2 then - just UR1 (which is on the list) and UURollup (which is on the list as well) then I would have slipstream all the all the updates/hotfixes needed?

Sorry if I'm sounding noobish with this question, just want to make sure I'm not missing some important or updated information, and that I am following things correctly.

Thanks again - now I go back to downloading some more files (up to 153 files at this point).

Tomasz86, sorry for all these question, but most of the post having info I'm looking for are quite old - so I'm concerned that the info on them is no longer valid.

On the forum I read that your list is to work in tandem with another list by Bristol. How ever all the links to his/her list are dead.

So to have a complete update does one still need his list, or is your list now the complete list?

If one still needs his list, where is it currently at?

Also, on your list, you have Windows2000-UU-KB968006-x86-Global.exe - but it is not in your dropbox folders (at least not I could find). The actual link is requiring me to sign up for an account.

Thanks again for all the help!

Edited by JayMan

I'm sorry for a late reply.

• The updates list hosted at my website (http://windows2000.tk/updates) was before maintained by another MSFN member bristols. I took it over from him. This is the only updates list for Windows 2000 still maintained (as far as I know).
  • I've been reorganising the updates list and the unofficial updates listed there are unavailable at the moment. As for 829884, the file concerned (videoprt.sys) is included in weekly / daily releases of UURollup-v11 so as long as you use UURollup-v11 you don't need the separate update.
  • KB891503-v2 - this hotfix uses non-standard format and can't be slipstreamed as it is. I'll have a closer look at it in the near future.
  • You don't need to download all those single hotfixes if you use Update Rollup 2. The reason why UR2 isn't listed there because I can't guarantee its stability, and the development of UR2 has been cancelled as USP5.2 is going to replace it later.
The whole situation is quite complicated as there's really no single universal method available to prepare a fully updated Windows 2000 system including both official and unofficial updates :( The closest one is probably my HFSLIP archive (available in the download Archive under Windows2000/HFSLIP) but it also hasn't been updated for a few months. Still, it's probably the easiest way to update your Windows 2000 source without having to deal with hundreds of single updates and hotfixes. Edited by tomasz86

No problem. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

So I guess me best bet would be to use your HFSLIP archive. I have a question though. I plan on using FDV's file set, and he instructs that a person use IE5, and the updates for IE5. What would I need to modify in your HFSLIP archive, if anything, in order to do so?

On a different note, but in the same key:

I am also wanting to do a slipstream of WinXP. I have been browsing the forum trying to figure out to prepare a fully updated WinXP. So I figure before I spend anymore time (or blank CDs) trying to do so, and possible using old info, I figure I ask since I currently have your ear.

Do you also have a WinXP HFSLIP archive?

Thanks again for all the help thus far!

At this point I'd really not recommend using IE5. IE files are responsible for the system UI and affect many other components and applications so, in my opinion, using IE6 files is just safer in order to avoid compatibility issues. FDV fileset should work with IE6 too :)

I do have a Windows XP HFSLIP package but only for the Korean language version. You'd have to replace all files with the English ones. Unless you really want to choose only specific components manually and customise your Windows XP installation for a specific purpose (ex. to slim it down for an old computer, etc.), I'd just suggest using the all-in-one OnePiece Update Pack which has everything integrated.

Edited by tomasz86

• 2 years later...
On 2013. 11. 1. at 0:33 PM, JayMan said:

I just want to make you aware, in case your not already, that one of the files listed is not found in your archive:

Windows2000-KB891503-v2-x86-XXX.exe

When I go to download it from MS it gives me SFU35-Q891503-X86-ENU.exe

Please advise as to what to do.

I am very sorry for the 3 year delay :o but I have finally examined the hotfix and updated the information on how to slipstream it. Please check my website for details.

Edited by tomasz86