Where exactly is 8.1 update that is free?

dubsdj

I have the fully KMS activated windows 8 pro at my company.

but for the life of me I cannot find the update anywhere? Not in the store or windows updates..

is it not free for certain versions? Seems rather odd considering it is supposed to be sorting out some poor features of Windows 8 for office environments.

I ran all available windows updates on my client machines in the office but nope...no windows 8.1 update..

Its quite frustrating actually.

Edited by dubsdj

Dunno about a KMS-Activated - probably still will work?

Don't have Windows 8, but I found this and I assume this is what you mean -

Info -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7425/windows-81-update-now-available

Info and how to get it -

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57608376-285/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8.1-iso/

hi

ive tried these... clicked on the get update and it goes to the store but no windows 8.1 update is visible.

I also tried downloading the iso and installed it on one of the client computers but it refused to activate with the windows 8 pro key.

I rang up my volume licensing provider and they said its free but could not confirm as none of their other clients have even made it to Windows 7 yet as they refuse to let go of XP! Seriously.. they are in for some stress next year :P

I guess I will just have to leave it on Windows 8.. Baffled..to be honest.
It doesn't matter so much as I only installed Windows 8 in one section of the office to prove I could make it work alongside Windows 7 and roaming profiles.. I don't really think it makes a lot of difference in the office as users simply click the desktop tile and they are basically back to windows 7 or might as well be. Missing start button is a non issue anyway as all their shortcuts are on the desktop. And from what I saw when I installed manually 8.1 before I realized I couldn't activate it was that the start button simply goes back to the tile screen which is pretty useless in the office except for looking colorful and pretty. All they say is "its another click until I can open up outlook and google".

perhaps it will magically appear in the updates later on....

Edited by dubsdj

That is ridiculous.. I thought the whole point of 8.1 was that it is a glorified patch to a slightly broken OS (Perhaps not broken but missunderstood).

I'll stay on Windows 8.0 then

certainly won't bother installing any more Windows 8 instances at my company. I will stick with 7 from now on..

thanks for the advice.

Edited by dubsdj

Hi

The problem is that when I downloaded the iso of 8.1 pro and installed it, yes it upgraded but I simply couldnt activate it.. I tried all the keys for windows 8.0 that are provided to us by our Volume Licensing and none of them worked. I was pretty much stuffed as there was no way of rolling it back so I had to reinstall 8.0 again as 8.1 would not activate whatever key I tried.

I just dont want to risk trying that again because it took me a considerable amount of time to restore all the local software etc.

It just doesn't make sense why Microsoft has made this upgrade such an ordeal for volume licenced customers.

I even phoned up my vlsc provider and asked them but they couldn't really help as they said it should work but they had not got any other clients who had atempted it yet.

I also saw a few people claiming workarounds by hacking methods / disconnecting the internet / running scripts / regedit. But the thing is that I don't know why I should need to be doing that as I am a fully licenced customer and pay a huge amount every year to have VLSC. Like I said I'm baffled and have lost confidence in Windows 8.

Edited by dubsdj

The problem is that when I downloaded the iso of 8.1 pro and installed it, yes it upgraded but I simply couldnt activate it.. I tried all the keys for windows 8.0 that are provided to us by our Volume Licensing and none of them worked.
You need a new GVLK for 8.1

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

Plus there is an update for your KMS host on Windows Update which should allow for 8.1 / 2012r2 activations

Edited by MrJinje

So what if I installed the PC in the office using the MAK key in the VLSC? would I need to buy a new MAK key for 8.1 to make it activate?

I noticed in VLSC I can use either a KMS or MAK key for Windows 8.0

but Windows 8.1 does not have any keys associated with it in VLSC. It simply says that I need to contact volume liceensing for a key.. Which seems strange as part of my volume licencing covers all versions of Windows.

sorry I am just trying to understand this and its confusing.

I will phone them on Monday and see if they can advise.

ofcourse I am legit I take licensing very seriously , that is why i seek advice on what I should do.

Edited by dubsdj