Photoshop and implicit sharpening on resampling

j7n

I have Adobe Photoshop 7. When I perform resizing, either of the whole image canvas or by choosing Edit -> Transform upon the current layer, there is always sharpening being done during the process. I rather wish this didn't happen.

For example,

0. Original

1. Downscaled to 67% (doesn't have to be a screenshot)

2. Downscaled to 67% in IrfanView

I sometimes export the picture to IrfanView, resize it, and bring it back into Photoshop for further processing. This doesn't work for layers with transparency.

I understand why one would sometimes apply some sharpening (usually less than Photoshop uses). But in like in this example, I might want to blend the Windows logo with some background and photographed/scanned text, where the sharpened edges of the logo look too jagged in comparison.

Are there versions of Photoshop that have customizable resampling methods, so that sharpening can be avoided?

I tried installing GIMP. It loaded the graphical representations of all layers correctly (no text, no adjustment or fill, or blending effects), which is good enough. Its resampling appears to be identical to IrfanView's.

photoshop-resample-sharpening-3.png

(slightly more ringing in the left image)

GIMP can also load PSD files with transparency and save them without apparent loss. I think I can use it in place of IrfanView now.

The version I got to run (2.4.7) doesn't have as many options for text processing though. And the GTK gui looks kinda ugly.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what you are talking about OP?

I have photoshop, and making the image smaller should have no impact. on it.

1. if you are using a raster image ( BMP, PCX ( if that is what it is called again ?? ) ) then the file will pixilize/pixelate on that account your image PPi/DPi is small and tiny. Meaning your resolution of the original image is too small?? Photoshop is meant for working with huge giant images. One of the flaws of early photoshop programs ( especially the windows 9x ), is the problem with resizing, and rotating. All the OS9/OSX versions should have fixed this with CS1 release. PS is now in its CS9 model ( the dreadful intel cloud model ), but everything from CS2 should be reasonable on this.

When you make an image smaller it should look like the bigger image, from a distance, and since your still working with the raw data,

you should be able to make it big again. In fact you can make images big to a certain point. I would attempt to use Irfanview as well in the past, but the creator does not add these features, and if he did, it would be working around Adobes programming, which is not universal. Your PSD and PNG files might appear clear in certain browsers and desktop publishing applications for work, but this is not true for all usages.

IF you plan to work in a studio they will not let you use any outside programs, as far as I know? For personal use that is a different story.

Bottom-line. PS should not give anybody problems in resizing, unless the image is too small, and the version of PS does not support small

images correctly. Try-rotating the image in photoshop and tell me if it still becomes altered??? Otherwise switch to the CS2 series. PS on the 9x sucks the fun out of it.

Edited by ROTS

... Except for the fact that all of the adobe cs products write to the boot sector when installing.

Giving adobe the possibility of destroying your system...

Not really-really AFAIK.

But it seemingly does write to the "hidden sectors" (that are AFTER the MBR and BEFORE the "bootsector").

The good linux guys call this area "embedding area" (for no apparent reason if not for using some even more confusing terminology)

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~cjwatson/blosxom/debian/2010-08-28-windows-applications-making-grub2-unbootable.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1661254

The technology used by some Adobe products (but not only) is called "flexnet", it is made by these guys here (just to know who is the actual responsible for messing with your hidden sectors):

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/

jaclaz

• 4 months later...

@j7n:

I don't know if this will help or not:

I use Photoshop 5.0, which doesn't sharpen on downsizing -- at least, as far as I can tell.

The downsized image always looks *a little* blurrier than the original -- but clarity can be restored with sharpening.

Personally, I'm a sharpening "freak".

I usually sharpen an image -- by using Unsharp Mask -- multiple times to get it as clear as possible -- before the sharpening, itself, starts to deteriorate the image.

Of course, I play with the options (%, Radius, and Threshold) if I really want to get particular with the sharpening.

I usually use, as my "default" settings: Amount=50%, Radius=1.0 pixel, and Threshold=0 levels. I often play only with the Amount, using 25%, or even less, to get a more "gentle" sharpening.