bootfix.bin + gosh

I did post about this last week, but didn't get much respone, so I thought I'd try again. I've folowed Gosh's method, and thus have a BOOT directory, and a I386 directory. Now eveything works great but when I boot the cd, It never asks if you want to boot from it, it just does it, instead of delaying, then booting from the hard drive. In the previous post, I copied bootfix.bin from the I386 dir, to the BOOT dir. It still automaticly boots the CD, but it shoudn't. :) Also, my CD is sp1a integrated. Don't know if this makes any differance.

well if youre using a cd menu like cdshell then bootfix.bin won't come into play. Also if your bios is configured to only boot from CD like virtual machines usually are you might see that.

-gosh

actually bootfix.bin in your i386 folder should make it prompt the "Press any key to boot from cd..." Ive used cdshell and other boot menus...using a boot menu has nothing to do with bootfix.bin in the i386 folder....what I would say is check your bin file that your using to boot the cd...hexedit it and make sure that setupldr.binbootfix.binI386 is near the bottom (there is a bunch of place holding at the bottom so it prolly isnt at the very bottom)

I've got the system to boot from CD then Hard Drive. This way, I have full automation.

User boots CD, formats, and walks away. System reboots, waits for user to press a key, then boots from Hard Drive, and finishes installation.

Also, I'm not using a Boot menu, but even then it could be made to timeout like the CD, and just boot first Hard Drive.

Any suggestions?

edit: nope, I hexed it, and there is nothing about "setupldr.binbootfix.binI386" mentiond anywhere in the file. I'm using Hex Workshop BTW

When using a Microsoft Boot Sector (bootable CD) the demand:

"Press any key to boot from cd..."

is displayed ONLY if the harddrive is previously set to 'Active'

during a partitioning process.

a harddrive is usually set Active initially either by using the MSDOS program

fdisk.exe or by allowing WindowsXP to partition and format the drive.

If the drive is unpartitioned ( eg. a new harddrive or a new setup within a virtual PC) the demand is not offerred, because it already detected no other boot device present therefore requiring a CD boot.

Shark007