Note about updating to Windows 8.1 from the Store

Tripredacus

The Windows 8.1 Update will back some files up during the upgrade process. It creates a Windows.old and will backup (at least) these folders:

- Perflogs

- Program Files

- Program Files (x86) *

- Users

- Windows

* if using a 64bit OS

So if you are using a small SSD, or are low on disk space, verify that you have enough free space for Windows to back up these folders or else the upgrade may fail with an error. I do not believe that the update verifies enough free space is available for the backup prior to making that backup and attempting to perform the upgrade. :rolleyes:

For future reference: is signing up for a Microsoft Account and then going through the Windows Store the ONLY way that a Windows 8 user can change over to 8.1? Once you have 8, is there a legit way to move from 8 to 8.1 without opening an MS account?

I know someone who, like me, has successfully avoided getting a Microsoft account all these years. But he did buy a Win8 machine, now he's asking if he can get 8.1 without an MS account the same way you can visit the appropriate MS web pages to download updates and service packs for other versions of Windows, without having to enter any information.

--JorgeA

Cool, I will pass it on.

The only note is that, according to the web page, this workaround will work only with retail (not OEM) versions of Windows 8. So presumably it wouldn't work on a factory-installed Win8 machine. But if the time comes to consider moving to 8.1, he can try it anyway, see what happens, and then decide what to do about getting that MS account.

Thanks very much!

--JorgeA

Well, if I may... I think it'd be perfectly legal (provided the intended use is on the same machine, but it wouldn't work anyway in case it's not, I guess) to acquire a *forensically sound* image of your activated Win 8 and save it away. Then update to 8.1 and acquire a second *forensically sound* image of your activated Win 8.1. From this point on, you can downgrade back to Win 8 and return to Win 8.1 at will, in about one hour each time, by just alternating which image you redeploy, and keepeng activation. As long as just one of the images is deployed while the other is just stored out, my understanding is that this ought to be perfectly legal in all aspects. It's just well above the ability of an average user to swap full system images back and forth, but when one knows how to do it right, one can *really* compare the two OS editions in the *exact same conditions* on bare metal true hardware. I don't want to hijack the thread, so I don't think any discussion here about what exactly is a *forensically sound* image should be allowed here (and so a new thread may be opened or one of the older ones may be resurrected for this purpose), but would feel bad if I didn't remind you of this possibility (which I do consider exciting) at this point.

:hello: ciao, jaclaz!

To be able to compare in the exact same hardware Win 8 and Win 8.1 is what I consider exciting, albeit in a purely philosophical way... :angel

I wouldn't myself touch either even with a 10 yard pole, :puke: I've drawn my personal line in the sand at Win 7... but that's me. :P

Fair comparisons, on the other hand, are always interesting, even exciting, and allow one to take better informed decisions. ;)

you can get an ISO with your key:

http://pureinfotech.com/2013/10/19/download-windows-81-iso-using-windows-8-product-key/

and run setup.exe inside WIn8 and select upgrade to go from 8 to 8.1

Choosing to install Windows 8.1, then when entering a product key, its kinda picky. An OEM key from the BIOS returns an invalid key message. Another key I tried gave me a message "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8."

I would presume maybe the key it is looking for is either from a retail SKU or one from the OEM System Builder Kit.

EDIT: the website actually says that it only works with retail.

Edited by Tripredacus

That's a bummer, but thanks a bunch for checking it out.

I guess this means there is in fact no way for a user with a machine that has Win8 pre-installed on it, to move to 8.1 without creating a Microsoft account.

--JorgeA

I wouldn't myself touch either even with a 10 yard pole, :puke: I've drawn my personal line in the sand at Win 7... but that's me. :P

Two or three OS releases late ;), but still acceptable :).

You can however use slightly shorter poles safely, in case:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/125258-nlite-and-microxp/#entry807225

Fair comparisons, on the other hand, are always interesting, even exciting, and allow one to take better informed decisions. ;)

Fair comparison of things that make sense tend to make sense. (but are often boring)

Fair (or unfair for that matter :)) comparisons of senseless things or comparisons between something that makes sense and something that doesn't, hardly so, but they can be fun alright.

Windows 8 (8.1) is probably the first (and hopefully last) OS targeted to Media Center that requires an additional license to play a DVD.... :whistle:

Like, you know, compare a QNX RTOS against a with a 8.1 Media Center edition and see which runs smoother on a PC with the minimum requirements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

Back to topic/idea, there is no "real" reason to make a "forensic sound" image, one can make it a much simplified (and smaller) backup through a number of approaches, it could be an idea to start a new thread on how exactly this can be done. (still it will be mostly boring and non-exciting IMHO).

jaclaz