Trillian 5.4 Build 12 on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

I recently updated to Trillian 5.4 Build 12 (despite the fact that it has been complied with Visual Studio 2008) on my UURollup-patched Windows 2000 machine and I have found that I could no longer sign into my Trillian account.

I'm ending up with a yellow exclamation mark next to my username and end up with the error message:

Error while connecting. Please check your account name and connection, then try again.

Trillian 5.3 previously worked without problems and when I upgraded to Trillian 5.4, I found that I could no longer sign in to any of the IM services that I signed up. And to add insult to injury, changing the password makes no difference.

Update 1: I tested Trillian 5.4 under a Windows XP SP3 VMware VM machine and it worked without problems. I might need to test the Trillian 5.4 installation under a clean Windows 2000 VPC VM to see what dependencies were added.

Update 2: I did a test installation of Trillian 5.4 under the Windows 2000 Virtual PC VM and got this error message:

The procedure entry point GetAdaptersAddress could not be located in the dynamic link library IPHLPAPI.DLL.

Despite the error message, mentioned above, Trillian 5.4 did install correctly without problems.

But when I tried to execute Trillian 5.4, I get this error message:

The procedure entry point DnsFree could not be located in the dynamic link library DNSAPI.DLL.

As a result of this error, Trillian 5.4 under Windows 2000 refuses to proceed any further beyond initialising directories.

As far as I know, the flag GetAdaptersAddresses is only supported on Windows XP SP1 and later. As for DnsFree flag, I don't know which Service Pack under Windows XP is supported. I did a search for it under Google, but it wasn't any use.

When I used Dependency Walker to investigate which entry points were used in trillian.exe, SymGetModuleInfoEx and SymGetModuleEx64 were used in IMAGEHLP.DLL, I believe that they're only found in Windows XP SP2 and up.

Are there any workaround to make Trillian 5.4 work under Windows 2000? If so, please let me know.

Update 3: I had a look at this page regarding DNSAPI.DLL exports and has concluded that the DnsFree function is only available on Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Thanks for the help. :)

I was always wondering if installing it under the \Astra directory and if possible renaming it as \Trillian would solve this or not.

Edit 1: Installing it in a different directory didn't even work. :(

I think that it would be a good time to do some investigation of what is causing Trillian 5.4 on Win2K to not work correctly as it did under Trillian 5.3. Furthermore, I somehow ran into a error when attempting to uninstall a second copy of Trillian on this machine:

The exception unknown software exception (0xe06d7363) occurred in the application at location 0x7c59bcb1.

Until the investigation has been made, I will be using Miranda IM, Skype 4.2 and Mo-Footer.

Edit 2: I downloaded the update, Trillian 5.4 Build 13 (trillian-v5.4.0.13.exe) and it finally fixed the connection failure issue! :)

Edited by ppgrainbow