How to disable (selectively) V2 Performance counters?

GrofLuigi

I've found something for .Net Performance Counters:

UnlodCtr.exe /m:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\ServiceModelPerformanceCounters.manUnlodCtr.exe /m:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WorkflowServiceHostPerformanceCounters.manUnlodCtr.exe /m:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ServiceModelPerformanceCounters.manUnlodCtr.exe /m:C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\WorkflowServiceHostPerformanceCounters.man

I will try it when I make a full backup of my OS.

I need to find a way to enumerate others. I've tried searching in other .man files in %windir%, but there are too many of them. I think I can unlodctr them referenced by guids in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\_V2Providers], that's another thing to try.

In the meantime I deleted the whole key (made a backup, of course) and it seems fine so far. (Well, that escalated quickly :))

The reason I want to get rid of these software performance counters (as opposed to hardware perf counters built in the CPU for example) is, well... Performance. :) The mere act of measuring performance uses some performance. I don't want it and I don't need it. I want to use my OS for doing something (productive or not, that's debatable), not for taking surveys.

Any other ideas are still welcome.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

• 1 month later...